Why reload 308??

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Why reload 308??

Post by Bello » 01 Feb 2022, 10:46 am

Hi Guys
I went to the rifle range at Silverdale, in Sydney NSW, the other day and sighted in a 308.
I used shop bought 135gr Sierra Varminter rounds.
I think they are nice and accurate out to at least 200 meters. (See below image, shots taken at 200 meters from a bench)
The question is, why reload when you can get this accuracy from a shop bought round.

I tell a lot of people, if you are only shooting a few rounds a year don't bother reloading if you can get this type accuracy from these shop bought stuff.
Attachments
sierra 135gr.jpg
sierra 135gr.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Why reload 308??

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2022, 11:58 am

I would agree, if you only shoot a handful of rounds a year, don't bother reloading. Even if you're only getting two or three MoA. Just try different ammo and use whatever shoots most accurately.

But the way prices are going, at two to three dollars per round now, you don't need to be shooting a whole lot to make .308 reloading viable. When you could buy bulk for a buck apiece, and sell your brass for half that, you had to be shooting a lot to make it worth reloading.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 01 Feb 2022, 12:03 pm

Why? Because people can.

I agree a few boxes of ammo a year and you are better off buying factory. However a lot of reloaders enjoy the process and independence of reloading.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 01 Feb 2022, 12:29 pm

Mate my answer to your question was always that I reload mainly for accuracy, however if that’s your group at 200m then yep I agree, why would you.
I fire a fair few per year so economics does come into it for me as I’m well set up. Another reason is that is a hobby and I enjoy standing at my bench doing it.
Still if you only shoot a few hundred per year and don’t really get a kick out of reloading then I agree, why bother.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Vince24 » 01 Feb 2022, 12:32 pm

And by the way, a two-shot group is not very indicative.

While the 308w is possibly the only calibre where you can stil find cheap factory ammo, it’s also a very easy one to reload, given the abundance of good and cheap reloading components…
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigpete » 01 Feb 2022, 12:37 pm

Because its cheaper,and I can tailor my loads to my gun,and because I like to reload
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2022, 12:48 pm

Communism_Is_Cancer wrote:Why? Because people can.

I agree a few boxes of ammo a year and you are better off buying factory. However a lot of reloaders enjoy the process and independence of reloading.

Yep, even if you only intend to shoot factory, buy bulk so you never have to go to a shop at the last minute hoping they might have some of the ammo your rifle likes, at a price you might not like. Ammo sitting in your cupboard is worth way more to you than ammo sitting on a gunshop shelf somewhere.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 01 Feb 2022, 12:55 pm

bigpete wrote:Because its cheaper,and I can tailor my loads to my gun,and because I like to reload

Agreed.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Feb 2022, 12:59 pm

I regularly get asked what are my favorite cartridges, and I really don't have any. I think of all ammunition as one big modular cartridge, I just decide what sort of shooting I want to do, pick the best components for that, and pick a firearm to best use it for that purpose. Or I decide which firearm I feel like using and make ammo to suit it.

Some cartridges are more versatile than others, like .223, 7mm-08 and .44Mag. These will sling any bullet weight from 30gn to 310gn, from low-subsonic to near 4000fps if you prefer. Blunt flat-nose lumps for dropping very big beasts at close range, tiny bee-stings for blitzing rabbits and foxes at longer ranges, mid-range bullets for pigs, goats, and deer, or VLD/ELD's for punching steel and paper at very long ranges.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 Feb 2022, 1:31 pm

Bello wrote:Hi Guys
I went to the rifle range at Silverdale, in Sydney NSW, the other day and sighted in a 308.
I think they are nice and accurate out to at least 200 meters. (See below image, shots taken at 200 meters from a bench)
The question is, why reload when you can get this accuracy from a shop bought round.

I tell a lot of people, if you are only shooting a few rounds a year don't bother reloading if you can get this type accuracy from these shop bought stuff.

The answer is simple you have a factory rifle there that is worth keeping they are Rarity unless you buy a Tikka t3x not all rifles will shoot factory ammo as accurately as yours .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 01 Feb 2022, 1:42 pm

I think for me the question would apply to just about everything I load and my answer is:

1. Have the ability to tailor your loads to what you want out of it, use different bullets, powders
2. Save money
3. Get better accuracy
4. Have some level of self sufficiency to reuse my own brass
5. Have fun reloading, it's a good hobby especially for winter months
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 01 Feb 2022, 8:11 pm

On top of the whole “so you can reproduce as required”, it’s much much much cheaper. Under 50c for lead loads over Trail Boss. Well under a dollar for close range, offhand loads. Under a dollar for cheap “match grade” loads. A bit over a dollar for precision “match grade” loads. Horses for courses.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 01 Feb 2022, 8:28 pm

I sometimes find myself pondering wether I cast bullets and reload to shoot or shoot to cast bullets and reload.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Feb 2022, 9:00 pm

Noisydad wrote:I sometimes find myself pondering wether I cast bullets and reload to shoot or shoot to cast bullets and reload.

Without name dropping, I witnessed some bloody impressive cast bullet shooting the other day. Happened to film it actually:

https://youtu.be/bkEGpK-brw8

I’ve reloaded cast a fair bit, and I never thought it could be tuned to shoot this well, especially considering he was using irons.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 02 Feb 2022, 7:38 am

in2anity wrote:
Noisydad wrote:I sometimes find myself pondering wether I cast bullets and reload to shoot or shoot to cast bullets and reload.

Without name dropping, I witnessed some bloody impressive cast bullet shooting the other day. Happened to film it actually:

https://youtu.be/bkEGpK-brw8

I’ve reloaded cast a fair bit, and I never thought it could be tuned to shoot this well, especially considering he was using irons.

Watched the video and yes every shot landed somewhere in the stop butts, which is more than I can say for some of my casting efforts.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 02 Feb 2022, 7:57 am

Bello wrote:Hi Guys

I am in general agreement but your 2 shot group has barely any more statistical relevance as proof than a 1 shot group.
I am of the opinion if your sight is set to the true center of preferably a 10 shot group you will have a reliably set up hunting rifle for usual hunting ranges up to say 250 meters with even factory ammo of indifferent quality.
That of course doesn't mean that you can mix brands and types of ammo without resighting for each type or brand.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 02 Feb 2022, 9:02 am

straightshooter wrote:Watched the video and yes every shot landed somewhere in the stop butts, which is more than I can say for some of my casting efforts.

He was consistently grouping into a saucer at 200m, with a poor sight picture. Best I've come up with is dinner-plate average at 200m, with a scope and a discrete sight picture. Quite enlightening, and reflective of both his perseverance and skill.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 02 Feb 2022, 10:14 am

Some people like to reload as theres more to it if its your hobby that just shooting a gun. Similar to why do people tinker with there cars or bikes when they go ok already
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by boingk » 03 Feb 2022, 1:29 pm

If that's point of impact for aiming at the centre emblem on the paper then that's pretty darn good for a hunting rifle.

And, if it's a hunting rifle, people tend to forget that as hunters we fire shots and not groups.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Bello » 03 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm

boingk wrote:If that's point of impact for aiming at the centre emblem on the paper then that's pretty darn good for a hunting rifle.

And, if it's a hunting rifle, people tend to forget that as hunters we fire shots and not groups.

Hi Boingk

I agree with what you have written. Yes the point of aim was the emblem.
The rifle used was a Sako Finnlight. (Thin barrel)
Its a hunting rifle. I have never had the occasion to have to fire more than 2 shots, when hunting.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 03 Feb 2022, 6:55 pm

Bello wrote:
boingk wrote:If that's point of impact for aiming at the centre emblem on the paper then that's pretty darn good for a hunting rifle.

Hi Boingk

I agree with what you have written. Yes the point of aim was the emblem.
The rifle used was a Sako Finnlight. (Thin barrel)
Its a hunting rifle. I have never had the occasion to have to fire more than 2 shots, when hunting.

3 clicks up and 1 left and your done . :thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 06 Feb 2022, 10:02 pm

Why Re-load anything?
Because I can
Because its interesting
Because I can tailor loads to suit my game. From paddock rats to goats and pigs and small deer to larger deer.
Because it gets me out of the house and onto the work-bench and onto the range.
Because its therapeutic
and lastly,
Because I I like it.
Do I shoot a lot, no, but its part of the sport.
Anyone can buy a rifle and buy a packet of ammo and go shoot. Are they developing their skills and understanding, maybe not.
Every now and then, re-loading, you discover something.
22Hornet Work in progress. The Martini action is beautiful, but....
204R This is awesome, better than I can shoot. Ragged holes at 200.
223W Nearly as good.
6.5Grendel Better than the 223
308W On a good day can surprise myself.
9.3x62M, yeah, glad I got rid of the 338WM, but a work in progress.
I can think about any game in Aus, but I have to trust the ammo is going where and do what I want it to and that only comes from re-loading and bench work.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition