Reloading in SW Sydney

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Reloading in SW Sydney

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Feb 2022, 8:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
LOL Nylon hammer and copper/brass/alloy punch works. LOL

I must have seated a few hundred that way

:wtf: :lol: You are braver than I Ob!!

As long as you install the primer first there's no bravery involved :-)

How do you think it was done 80 years ago?
My original lee classic 12g was made with a punch.

Just slip the primer in by hand.
Slide punch into case.
Gently tap in the last bit on a hard smooth surface. kiss.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
LOL Nylon hammer and copper/brass/alloy punch works. LOL

I must have seated a few hundred that way

:wtf: :lol: You are braver than I Ob!!

As long as you install the primer first there's no bravery involved :-)

How do you think it was done 80 years ago?
My original lee classic 12g was made with a punch.

Just slip the primer in by hand.
Slide punch into case.
Gently tap in the last bit on a hard smooth surface. kiss.

Same way I learned to reload as a kid
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Feb 2022, 12:40 pm

Can't remember if it's that kit or the "Challenger", but you also get drop in parts that allow you to prime on the press. ( Both large and small primers ) It's slow, one at a time, but you can develop a sequence where you just drop the primer in on the downstroke after sizing. If you're not in a hurry and only doing small numbers it works fine.
I've helped a few blokes get these kits set up and taught them basic reloading in the past. If you don't want to have a dedicated reloading bench permanently set up, you can set these kits up on a thick board and then clamp them to a bench/table when you want to reload., works quite well.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2022, 1:15 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Can't remember if it's that kit or the "Challenger", but you also get drop in parts that allow you to prime on the press. ( Both large and small primers ) It's slow, one at a time, but you can develop a sequence where you just drop the primer in on the downstroke after sizing. If you're not in a hurry and only doing small numbers it works fine.
I've helped a few blokes get these kits set up and taught them basic reloading in the past. If you don't want to have a dedicated reloading bench permanently set up, you can set these kits up on a thick board and then clamp them to a bench/table when you want to reload., works quite well.

Yeh, my simplex O press has that. Works fine.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 05 Feb 2022, 7:15 pm

I recently put a floor in my garage ceiling space with an attic ladder. Wondering if I should put a bench in there for a reloading station.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Feb 2022, 7:57 pm

Lsfan wrote:I recently put a floor in my garage ceiling space with an attic ladder. Wondering if I should put a bench in there for a reloading station.

Is it insulated? Don't want to cook up there :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 05 Feb 2022, 8:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lsfan wrote:I recently put a floor in my garage ceiling space with an attic ladder. Wondering if I should put a bench in there for a reloading station.

I could only do it on mild days!
Actually it's not too bad. It's sarked and ventilated. I've got young kids so it's just something I'd like to keep in a place where they don't go.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 06 Feb 2022, 10:37 pm

Lsfan wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I've got young kids so it's just something I'd like to keep in a place where they don't go.

Hearing you on this and its a big part of why I went the turret press - it pumps out complete, fully finished rounds. If you get called away or have to deal with something 'kid related' you're only a few lever pulls from completing whatever round you're on and then not having to worry about incomplete cases with primers, powder etc laying around. Plus its quick... and time with a family is something thats a valuable commodity if yours is anything like mine.

Use those as selling points to the wife if need be. I certainly did... not that I was going to buy a single stage press anyway. Honestly, I've been there and done that and can't go back now. If I'm on the road I take the Lee Hand Press Kit (part number 90180) and thats brilliant because its small, portable and just works... but at home its the Turret all the way.

If you want to use a single stage I'd recommend the hand press because its $120 and will work straight out the box with a $30 set of Lee dippers as your measuring device for powder. Everything else is included - press, ram prime system, powder funnel and case lube.You can vice-mount the press if desired, too. Dippers may not give you the best adjustment for your loads but *will* work.

I'm happy to do weight confirmation for dippers and powder if need be, but they do come with a large card which lets you know what the weights are. Its a surprisingly accurate system.

Anywho, just letting you know my experiences. Anything else just ask - happy to help / recommend / persuade :mrgreen:

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Lsfan » 07 Feb 2022, 6:22 pm

All good boingk thanks. Appreciate the advice.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition