Baffles in powder thrower hopper

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Baffles in powder thrower hopper

Post by JimTom » 08 Apr 2022, 7:01 am

G’day Gents

I have noted that some of the new model powder throwers have a baffle in the hopper. Makes sense to me as my thrower will slightly vary as the powder reduces. I typically keep it topped up around a certain level to prevent this.
Has anyone manufactured a baffle of some description for their thrower?
I was thinking of cutting a plastic bottle to make something.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Baffles in powder thrower hopper

Post by straightshooter » 08 Apr 2022, 7:20 am

The intended purpose of the baffle is to maintain the powder that actually sits over the aperture to the measuring cylinder at approximately the same mass and state of compression. If there were no baffle then the degree of powder compression would vary with how full the hopper is resulting in greater variation in the weight of powder dropped as the hopper is depleted.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Apr 2022, 9:59 am

Yep, just cut a piece of flexible plastic to fit with a fold in it and the corners cut off. I made one for a Lyman thrower that wouldn't throw consistent charges. It did improve it but I tend to mainly use my Lee throwers, they just work better.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2022, 12:00 pm

straightshooter wrote:The intended purpose of the baffle is to maintain the powder that actually sits over the aperture to the measuring cylinder at approximately the same mass and state of compression. If there were no baffle then the degree of powder compression would vary with how full the hopper is resulting in greater variation in the weight of powder dropped as the hopper is depleted.

That's why I keep the hopper filled up.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 08 Apr 2022, 12:15 pm

straightshooter wrote:The intended purpose of the baffle is to maintain the powder that actually sits over the aperture to the measuring cylinder at approximately the same mass and state of compression. If there were no baffle then the degree of powder compression would vary with how full the hopper is resulting in greater variation in the weight of powder dropped as the hopper is depleted.

Yep understood mate, that’s why I keep mine around a constant level. Just wondering about the baffle idea to prevent the need for constantly topping the hopper up.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 08 Apr 2022, 12:17 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Yep, just cut a piece of flexible plastic to fit with a fold in it and the corners cut off. I made one for a Lyman thrower that wouldn't throw consistent charges. It did improve it but I tend to mainly use my Lee throwers, they just work better.

Legend, that’s what I was after. I shall give it a crack.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Apr 2022, 2:56 pm

I think a baffle is a good idea. I have always wondered about the different levels of compression but never thought any deeper about it. Perhaps part of my brain put it in the too hard basket .....blade, how do you keep the hopper full when bloody Alliant and ADI are so slow?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2022, 3:04 pm

Blr243 wrote:I think a baffle is a good idea. I have always wondered about the different levels of compression but never thought any deeper about it. Perhaps part of my brain put it in the too hard basket .....blade, how do you keep the hopper full when bloody Alliant and ADI are so slow?

Not sure what you mean by slow, but I keep powder handy and just keep topping it up while I'm loading. I try to keep it about about 75% full.
I only use the thrower when I turning out a pile of milsurp ammo, so generally using AR2206H.

Everything else I load manually by scoop into the pan on the scale.

Powder has a slump angle like sand and other things. As long as you keep the hopper filled above the slump angle of the powder you should get consistent throws. The double bang of the thrower handle at the end of each stroke is sufficient to shake up the powder and allow it to settle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 08 Apr 2022, 7:22 pm

I was just being silly, again. By slow / adi and Allianz I meant lately we can’t keep our hoppers full because there’s little in the shops for us to buy
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Apr 2022, 7:27 pm

Can't remember who told me. But I have a Lee perfect powder measure, just don't let it get below about 50% full. Found it pretty consistent. Throw a tad low and trickle up. Works for me.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 08 Apr 2022, 7:42 pm

I have never had any issue with my RCBS thrower. I am not picky about the level, but do let it go below a quarter.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2022, 8:20 pm

Blr243 wrote:I was just being silly, again. By slow / adi and Allianz I meant lately we can’t keep our hoppers full because there’s little in the shops for us to buy

Oh, that makes sense :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Barrettmr » 09 Apr 2022, 2:49 pm

I made a baffle for my rcbs thrower as it was woefull, it made it better, then as an experiment I made another and put it at right angle ot it, I now will throw within it's limits until it is nearly empty.
If you google baffles for powder throwers, there is a pdf page with patterns that you can print and cut them out. This is what I did and they are pretty accurate.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 09 Apr 2022, 4:07 pm

Barrettmr wrote:I made a baffle for my rcbs thrower as it was woefull, it made it better, then as an experiment I made another and put it at right angle ot it, I now will throw within it's limits until it is nearly empty.
If you google baffles for powder throwers, there is a pdf page with patterns that you can print and cut them out. This is what I did and they are pretty accurate.

You Sir, are an absolute legend. Thanks for that tip, found the page.
Alternatively I have discovered you can buy them for circa $15.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Apr 2022, 5:24 pm

Small funnel.
Trim to size, cut some slots along the side and put it in up side down. Should work

20220409_163723.jpg
20220409_163723.jpg (403.55 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 09 Apr 2022, 5:46 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Small funnel.
Trim to size, cut some slots along the side and put it in up side down. Should work

20220409_163723.jpg

I agree mate. That would also work a treat.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by lcpltac » 10 Apr 2022, 8:14 pm

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26544319833 ... 6254!AU!-1

Bit small for a Dillon but good for most others.
lcpltac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 10 Apr 2022, 8:20 pm

Thanks mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2022, 9:17 pm

lcpltac wrote:https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265443198339?hash=item3dcda5c583:g:I2QAAOSwFUVhsTf~:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!6254!AU!-1

Bit small for a Dillon but good for most others.

Me thinks easy to make
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition