Seating a .243 Bullet in a Cutdown .17 WSM Case

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Seating a .243 Bullet in a Cutdown .17 WSM Case

Post by iac » 11 Apr 2022, 9:00 am

Hello Gents, Re, creating suitable Bulllets for the 6.5 Carcano, "bladeracer" once posted- "Cutting a .17WSM case in half and seating a .243 bullet into it to bring it up to .269" .
Does anyone know how this is done ?
If you see this "bladeracer"; can you comment ?
Thanks, IAC.
iac
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: Seating a .243 Bullet in a Cutdown .17 WSM Case

Post by bladeracer » 24 Apr 2022, 11:25 am

iac wrote:Hello Gents, Re, creating suitable Bulllets for the 6.5 Carcano, "bladeracer" once posted- "Cutting a .17WSM case in half and seating a .243 bullet into it to bring it up to .269" .
Thanks, IAC.

I'm just heading out but can respond when I get home.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Apr 2022, 12:26 pm

iac wrote:Hello Gents, Re, creating suitable Bulllets for the 6.5 Carcano, "bladeracer" once posted- "Cutting a .17WSM case in half and seating a .243 bullet into it to bring it up to .269" .
Thanks, IAC.

Had to dash into town.
What are you trying to achieve with this?
Are you loading for the Carcano?

I just cut the WSM brass in two so it's about .270" in diameter. Using the neck part of the case I simply push a 75gn .243" jacketed bullet into it either way up, then seat them into the Carcano case. Putting the bullet in point first it looks a little like a large hollow-point with a centre spike. Putting it in base first it looks like the bullet has an afterburner tail.
On 12gn of Trailboss they make around 1620fps out of my TS Short Rifle.
There is a small degree of risk in pushing the bullet through the jacket and leaving the jacket in the bore but I never experienced that.
You're putting a fairly precisely made bullet into a fairly precisely made case so alignment is not an issue. I didn't record group-sizes except that they're not as good as the 160gn RN.

I also paper-patched the .243 bullet up to .270" just using copier paper. On 30gn of AR2206H (H4895) they make just on 2000fps.

I consider the paper-patching to be the simpler way to use .243" bullets in the Carcano. .257" bullets might work well also but I don't own anything in .257".

These were ways I used to be able to use the rifle until I found a bullet that works in it. The Hornady 160gn .264" RN shoots great in my rifle. On 28.5gn of AR2206H they make around 1950fps and give me about 60mm groups at 100m off the bench. With no sight adjustment on the rifle they drop about 40mm low at 100m. But at nearly a buck apiece they're a bit expensive for slinging bullets at paper or steel, cast bullets are a better way to go if you don't need the precision.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by iac » 03 May 2022, 4:32 am

Thank You, Sir.
If ever need be, I'll give it a try !, IAC.
iac
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 03 May 2022, 4:22 pm

"There is a small degree of risk in pushing the bullet through the jacket and leaving the jacket in the bore but I never experienced that"

That would worry me. If it happened who knows what the result would be?
Bulged barrel, buggered rifle?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2022, 4:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"There is a small degree of risk in pushing the bullet through the jacket and leaving the jacket in the bore but I never experienced that"

That would worry me. If it happened who knows what the result would be?
Bulged barrel, buggered rifle?

That's why you listen and check if anything doesn't seem quite right when testing ammo.
I doubt it could happen but it's a very slight possibility, as it is with some conventional bullet designs - that's the only reason I mentioned it.
The result could be anything from nothing at all to a burst barrel, but as it has a large hole right through the middle of it where the bullet was I can't see it being a major blockage. The piece of brass is 8gn.

It really is just a stop-gap measure, paper-patching is easier with better results, casting a bullet that fits is even better.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition