Preferred reloading kit?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Preferred reloading kit?

Post by b066y » 12 Apr 2022, 11:41 am

Hi all,

Was looking at reloading kits and the dillion 1050 with the autodrive seems really cool. Does anyone have any personal experience with that set up? How do the other kits compare?
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Preferred reloading kit?

Post by Bugman » 12 Apr 2022, 12:57 pm

Have two Dillon Square deal presses, one permanently set up for my favourite 38spl and one for set up for my favourite 357 load.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Apr 2022, 12:59 pm

Leave it alone unless you are a very experienced reloader with excellent mechanical skills and a lot of spare cash. The 1050 is a professional tool with a 1 year warranty only on all components and the ones that wear out the most a expensive to buy. The 750 is a much better choice for the home reloader and can also be automated if you need such a thing.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2022, 2:04 pm

b066y wrote:Hi all,

Was looking at reloading kits and the dillion 1050 with the autodrive seems really cool. Does anyone have any personal experience with that set up? How do the other kits compare?

Is this your entry into reloading?
Unless you're churning out a ton of pistol ammo I'd stick with a single-stage press.

I prefer to maintain control over my loading through every stage.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 12 Apr 2022, 2:13 pm

Good advice. That is how I started in reloading over 40 years ago. Single stage press.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 12 Apr 2022, 2:18 pm

How about one of these... you'll never find the need to waste money upgrading.

https://youtu.be/H29XBwLFyLk
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2022, 2:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Unless you're churning out a ton of pistol ammo I'd stick with a single-stage press.

Agree
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by b066y » 12 Apr 2022, 3:33 pm

bladeracer wrote:

It is my entry into reloading! I know absolutely nothing about ammo except there are different calibers. Just found out a few days ago about the differences between jackets. So yes, very much a newbie.

I figured an auto reloader would simplify the whole process. Pour the powder here, load the components there...press a button and presto! All done.

I take it that's not the way to go?
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by b066y » 12 Apr 2022, 3:36 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:How about one of these... you'll never find the need to waste money upgrading.

https://youtu.be/H29XBwLFyLk

The Mark 7 Evolution looks pretty cool but the boys I shoot with swear by the Dillon. I'm not particularly fussed as long as it gets the job done.
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2022, 3:57 pm

b066y wrote:It is my entry into reloading! I know absolutely nothing about ammo except there are different calibers. Just found out a few days ago about the differences between jackets. So yes, very much a newbie.

I figured an auto reloader would simplify the whole process. Pour the powder here, load the components there...press a button and presto! All done.

In my opinion, no.
For somebody churning out a lot of ammo, thousands of rounds per week, you give up control for speed of processing. You can't see if the primers are properly seated, you can't see if the correct powder charge went into each case.

For those of us loading a few hundred rounds in a session every month or so it's better to keep your eye in every part of the process.

Prep all your brass when you get it, including sizing and trimming, and flaring if you're loading cast bullets. And confirm that the empty cases do fit your firearm's chamber.
Prime the brass you want to load and check that each case is properly primed. Up to this point these steps can be done beforehand, just store the primed brass ready for use. Doing it this way makes the actual loading of the ammo a quicker job than starting from scratch.

Drop powder charges in all the brass and confirm that all of them are filled with powder to about the same level. I prefer to measure each charge individually, but if I'm doing a lot of milsurp ammo I'll use the Lee powder thrower. You want to avoid making ammo that needs the powder to be measured to less than a few tenths of a grain, try to load within a wider window.
Seat a bullet in a charged case to the overall length you want and try it to confirm it fits in your magazine and feeds through the firearm okay.

Seat all the bullets in the charged cases. Confirm all cartridges are about the same overall length.
Crimp the bullets if they need it - for cast bullets, semi-autos, and tube magazines generally.
If you're loading different ammo, mark what charge is in each case with a marker on the side of the case.

Go shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by b066y » 12 Apr 2022, 4:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
b066y wrote:It is my entry into reloading! I know absolutely nothing about ammo except there are different calibers. Just found out a few days ago about the differences between jackets. So yes, very much a newbie.

In my opinion, no.
For somebody churning out a lot of ammo, thousands of rounds per week, you give up control for speed of processing. You can't see if the primers are properly seated, you can't see if the correct powder charge went into each case.

For those of us loading a few hundred rounds in a session every month or so it's better to keep your eye in every part of the process.

Prep all your brass when you get it, including sizing and trimming, and flaring if you're loading cast bullets. And confirm that the empty cases do fit your firearm's chamber.
Prime the brass you want to load and check that each case is properly primed. Up to this point these steps can be done beforehand, just store the primed brass ready for use. Doing it this way makes the actual loading of the ammo a quicker job than starting from scratch.

Drop powder charges in all the brass and confirm that all of them are filled with powder to about the same level. I prefer to measure each charge individually, but if I'm doing a lot of milsurp ammo I'll use the Lee powder thrower. You want to avoid making ammo that needs the powder to be measured to less than a few tenths of a grain, try to load within a wider window.
Seat a bullet in a charged case to the overall length you want and try it to confirm it fits in your magazine and feeds through the firearm okay.

Seat all the bullets in the charged cases. Confirm all cartridges are about the same overall length.
Crimp the bullets if they need it - for cast bullets, semi-autos, and tube magazines generally.
If you're loading different ammo, mark what charge is in each case with a marker on the side of the case.

Go shooting.

Thanks buddy. I'll try your approach first. Soon as I can get my hands on the powder and stuff. Are there any brands you can recommend or I should avoid?
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2022, 5:49 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Apr 2022, 5:59 pm

b066y wrote:Thanks buddy. I'll try your approach first. Soon as I can get my hands on the powder and stuff. Are there any brands you can recommend or I should avoid?

Well, I see you're in WA, and I don't know what powder might be available over there, if any.
I prefer ADI, but these days you might just have to use whatever powder you can find.
Primers are probably your biggest issue though.

What chamberings are you wanting to load for?

If you're loading for handguns you may be up the creek with no paddles to be found.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 12 Apr 2022, 6:47 pm

For a good value and IMHO quite good quality certainly enough to turn out some very good quality ammo I would recommend the Lee Challenger Breech lock kit or for just a little more but a even more heavy duty press the Lee Classic Cast kit. These kits include everything you need to get started plus instructions just not the raw materials. If you get really into it you can swap out the parts you wish to upgrade in your own time and preferred order.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by 1886 » 12 Apr 2022, 11:10 pm

Thanks buddy. I'll try your approach first. Soon as I can get my hands on the powder and stuff. Are there any brands you can recommend or I should avoid?

You haven't mentioned what calibre you are intending to reload and as bladeracer has indicated there is a huge pistol powder and primer shortage at the moment so from that perspective if you intended to reload pistol calibres you might hit a brick wall.

But like many things you must crawl before you can walk and reloading is at the top of the scale as errors can have a bad outcome. Also being in WA I would be happy to show you the ropes of the various processes via basic presses and a semi automated Dillion 650, but that is not a press to learn with.

I will be away until after Easter so PM after if interested.
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 13 Apr 2022, 7:59 am

I started off with a lee loader kit then progressed on to a basic lee press and still use it.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by wanneroo » 13 Apr 2022, 1:12 pm

Actually just talking about this today in my industry in front of an audience. The best of the best always start their day or practice or routine with the fundamentals.

Starting with an automated loading press with absolutely no knowledge of any aspect of it is like getting in a 300kph plus supercar with very little driver training or experience and then expecting to drive flat out and survive.

This not a hobby or interest to take on a casual basis where you just slap stuff together and go whoo hoo.

Not to say you can't get there, I started with a simple hand press and now have 3 presses and make 10K plus rounds a year. But it doesn't happen overnight and I spent a lot of time learning each individual task before looking to upgrade to more automated or machine assisted equipment. If you don't have that basic knowledge you'll never know what you are doing setting up an automated press, simple as that.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by northdude » 13 Apr 2022, 7:15 pm

plus if you don't start with the basics you wont be able to figure out problems when they arise. crawl before you walk..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by AS30N » 15 Apr 2022, 6:09 pm

I agree with the above advise regarding using single stage press to learn. But for anyone using a pistol, I think a Lee turret is less painful, it's cheap enough and puts out 150-200 rounds an hour. Even after upgrade to progressive it's a decent second press to have for load development and loading some less used calibres ,including rifles with the indexing pin removed. The tool head is cheap, like $30, so I just keep all my less used calibre dies on spare tool heads, wrack them in and I am ready to go.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Novicepewpew » 29 Apr 2022, 3:36 pm

Before doing any purchasing find a local person you get on well with that has been reloading for a few years. Then go help them reload and lean what they are doing and why. Ask to help out a few of their friends so you can see different setups.

Once you get the general idea and have used a few tools you’ll better understand what you what to do, how you can achieve it and then go buy the things you want to start with.

Just buying stuff will mean a lot of money and a lot of stuff.

You don’t usually buy a buy a car in parts and put it together.

Try watching some you tube videos like this.
https://youtu.be/qH7tG9Ri5e4
Novicepewpew
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by JohnV » 08 May 2022, 6:57 pm

I would slow right up if I were you . You have no knowledge and that will cause wrong choices . If you are interested in one day loading accurate precision rifle ammo then don't buy an automated press . A single stage press makes better rifle ammo . Pistol ammo made in bulk is not precision ammo in the sense of ammo for good rifle accuracy is . If your loading for pistol and using a lot of ammo then an automated press is ok but needs more skill to set it up right . If loading for hunting rifles then a single stage press will load all you need as Bladracer says . RCBS Rock Chucker press . Redding competition seating die , Redding Body Die , Lee Collet neck sizing die , Redding Powder measure , Redding scales , Sinclair primer pocket uniformer and adapter . RCBS neck chamfer tool , Lyman Case trimmer with tungsten cutter , Sierra bullets , Lapua cases , Suitable ADI powders , Winchester , Federal or Remington primers .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JimTom » 08 May 2022, 8:05 pm

Mate unless you’re a mad pistol shooter and need to load it quick, maybe consider a good single stage. That’s all I have used for years mate, loads good ammo, just not as quick as a progressive.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 08 May 2022, 10:08 pm

b066y wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

It is my entry into reloading! I know absolutely nothing about ammo except there are different calibers. Just found out a few days ago about the differences between jackets. So yes, very much a newbie.

Yeah Mate,,, all the pre replies here are "good" advice.
As a shooter for MANY years,,,,, (and to this date, never reloaded) I'd suggest trying what I did.
I bought a Reloading Book (well known and quality),,,,,,,,,, read it,,,,,,,, then decided reloading was not for me.

:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 09 May 2022, 2:38 am

JimTom wrote:Mate unless you’re a mad pistol shooter and need to load it quick, maybe consider a good single stage. That’s all I have used for years mate, loads good ammo, just not as quick as a progressive.

That's what I had for a while, just a single stage and would still load thousands of pistol rounds with it. I would just get a box of cleaned brass going and say set up for resizing and would just resize thousands in a row, found I could do 600 in an hour. I'd do an hour and then move onto something else for the day. Once all my brass was resized, I'd move on to expanding, then hand priming, then seating and powder and then crimping. Slower than a progressive of course but I was still cranking out lots of ammo and the good thing was I learned all the nuances in setting everything up. I think if people don't learn that then the learning curve on a progressive press is much more difficult.

In the end people don't need a progressive unless they are doing bulk 223 or many thousands of pistol ammo.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 09 May 2022, 2:45 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Yeah Mate,,, all the pre replies here are "good" advice.
As a shooter for MANY years,,,,, (and to this date, never reloaded) I'd suggest trying what I did.
I bought a Reloading Book (well known and quality),,,,,,,,,, read it,,,,,,,, then decided reloading was not for me.

:lol: :lol:

Years ago I thought reloading was some mystery science practiced by retired old timers sitting around listening to talk radio all day with their coffee.

How naive I was.

In the end it's not that complicated for regular cartridges and quite enjoyable to make your own stuff and develop some level of self sufficiency plus save money and get better accuracy.

If you want to try it out you can always start bare bones cheap with a Lee Loader or a Lee Hand Press. I started with a $30 Lee Hand Press, a $20 Lee powder measure, 9mm dies, a $20 digital scale, calipers and a few other bits.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 09 May 2022, 1:57 pm

wanneroo wrote:Years ago I thought reloading was some mystery science practiced by retired old timers sitting around listening to talk radio all day with their coffee.

How naive I was.

In the end it's not that complicated for regular cartridges and quite enjoyable to make your own stuff and develop some level of self sufficiency plus save money and get better accuracy.

If you want to try it out you can always start bare bones cheap with a Lee Loader or a Lee Hand Press. I started with a $30 Lee Hand Press, a $20 Lee powder measure, 9mm dies, a $20 digital scale, calipers and a few other bits.

I had no trepidation at all, which can only assume came from reading the reloading articles in the magazines in the early eighties. But I probably bought my first shooting magazine in late 1983, only months before I bought my .222Rem and my reloading gear. I was shooting .22LR smallbore competition with Cadets in '82/'83 but I doubt I was buying magazines related to shooting as early as that. I had never fired a centrefire rifle other than the M16 in Cadets, I didn't know anybody that owned a centrefire or reloaded ammo. But it never occurred to me to ever buy factory ammo for it, and I never did. The same with the .243, but not the 6.5x55mm, which I can only guess was due to the Berdan brass - the only ammo available to me at that time was the Norma M94/M41 FMJ stuff.

On the other hand, when I started riding bikes in '85 I was instantly hooked on watching bike racing, but it didn't occur to me for four years that I could get out there and do that myself, just seemed to be a different world to me. But I didn't know anybody that owned or rode bikes either when I got into them. My mum got me into both, she knew me better than I knew myself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 29 Jun 2022, 2:22 pm

I don't like kits . I think it's better to buy the good quality stuff of the different brands available the first time and cry once .
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press , Redding competition seating die , Redding body die , Lee Collet neck sizer . Redding powder thrower with bench stand . Redding scales. RCBS liquid case lube , RCBS neck chamfer tool . Sinclair International primer pocket uniformer ( + it's a cleaner) . RCBS lube pad , RCBS primer flipper tray , Dry neck lube or make your own 50-50 Fine graphite & fine Moly powder MOs2 mix in a tobacco tin with steel shot . Sinclair International case loading block , RCBS inertia bullet puller . That will get you going and the gear will perform well .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by KWest » 29 Jun 2022, 2:51 pm

I use a hornady turret press for pistol where shot to shot consistency isn't super critical and a rockchucker for rifle where my approach is completely about shot to shot consistency.
KWest
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mickb » 29 Jun 2022, 4:25 pm

Ive owned an RCBS rochchucker and Lee classic cast in the past, now sold off. These days all I own is the Lee handpress of the type Waneroo mentions above. Weighs about 1.6kg, doesnt attach to a bench. Concurring with the above that beginners dont need a progressive.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 29 Jun 2022, 6:19 pm

Portability has it's own advantages . It's just that with a good bench mounted press you have the ability to size right up to the large cartridges with ease .
I understand where your coming from I also have portable reloading systems but I still need a few O frame presses to do other things .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition