home made 224 projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

home made 224 projectiles

Post by northdude » 04 May 2022, 7:47 pm

Has anyone tried/made 224 pills out of rimfire cases. Did they shoot any good?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: home made 224 projectiles

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2022, 8:04 pm

northdude wrote:Has anyone tried/made 224 pills out of rimfire cases. Did they shoot any good?

Yes, a member here used to make 52gn bullets out of .22LR brass, I bought 1000 off him a few years ago.
They shoot just fine, though there are lots of bulk commercial bullets available made to tighter tolerances for less money.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2022, 8:18 pm

See Bill's shed.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=421
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 04 May 2022, 10:36 pm

Yep just saw Hornady 224 advertised for a very good price at the big C. Unless you had a passion for making them yourself I think you’d be better off with the commercially available projectiles. Still, it’s not bad knowledge to have mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 1:56 am

JimTom wrote:Yep just saw Hornady 224 advertised for a very good price at the big C. Unless you had a passion for making them yourself I think you’d be better off with the commercially available projectiles. Still, it’s not bad knowledge to have mate.

Exactly, I bought 15,000 .224" 55gn and 62gn bullets for the same cost as buying the swaging dies. If .224" bulets ever become hard to get then it'd be worthwhile having the gear to make your own. Of course, you could also cast and powdercoat them instead for very little cost.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2022, 8:20 am

bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:Yep just saw Hornady 224 advertised for a very good price at the big C. Unless you had a passion for making them yourself I think you’d be better off with the commercially available projectiles. Still, it’s not bad knowledge to have mate.

Exactly, I bought 15,000 .224" 55gn and 62gn bullets for the same cost as buying the swaging dies. If .224" bulets ever become hard to get then it'd be worthwhile having the gear to make your own. Of course, you could also cast and powdercoat them instead for very little cost.

If you can find a .224 mold
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 May 2022, 8:23 am

Hold that comment,I see CBE does a few
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 05 May 2022, 8:28 am

Might give them a try got 2x 223s coyld try them in
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2022, 8:43 am

bladeracer wrote:

Yep, way to go.

But I currently have 1600. Lol. Heaps for me and got them very cheap.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 9:44 am

bigpete wrote:Of course, you could also cast and powdercoat them instead for very little cost.

If you can find a .224 mold[/quote]

I have a .225" and an old .227" mould.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 9:45 am

bigpete wrote:Hold that comment,I see CBE does a few

I think everybody does .225" moulds, including Lee.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2022, 10:12 am

Yep, Lee do a 55g.

How fast can you push powder coated bullets? 2500fps?

Screenshot_20220505-101047_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220505-101047_Gallery.jpg (142.07 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 12:10 pm

If you have a supply of free lead, like recovering your own bullets, you can cast and coat your own bullets for virtually nothing at all. An hour of gas or electricity and $25 of powdercoat. And the equipment cost is negligible - a mould, a ladle and a source of heat basically. If you want to get fancy, get a pot for melting the alloy in and a $50 toaster oven to bake the PC. You can make very effective and reasonably accurate bullets for almost nothing, just keep recovering your lead and recasting it. But even if you have to buy your alloy it's still only around $12/kg, enough to make about 200 60gn bullets at about six-cents apiece. The cheapest bulk commercial .224" copper-jacketed bullets are around 12c apiece (for the excellent Gamekings). Buy a different mould and you can make different bullets.

But getting cast bullets to shoot as accurately or consistently as commercially-made jacketed bullets is difficult, even more difficult at longer ranges. And I think still impossible at velocities above about 3500fps. If you need higher performance then you probably want to buy a heap of copper or brass rod and machine your bullets on a lathe or CNC machine. Probably the worst price you'll pay is about $20/m for 6mm copper out of China via Ebay, which will make you about 40 bullets at 50c apiece - assuming you have the equipment and the basic skill to make them yourself. You can also cast your own rod if you have a source of free copper (tube or wiring). If you have to pay somebody to turn them out for you you'll probably be paying a dollar apiece at least, if you order a few thousand. Brass is a bit cheaper and easier to machine. I just bought some tungsten rod to play with, but it's harder than steel so you need to jacket the bullet with something, like paper, copper, brass or powdercoat. But its density enables .224" bullets over well over 100gn that will still shoot in the average 8"-twist .223 barrel. I haven't tried machining it yet, that may be a chore for me and it may be easier to grind it to shape. Just something to play with some time.

Or you can swage your lead bullets into jackets, either using .22LR brass, or buying or making the jackets. You can make very good bullets this way, but the equipment is expensive to buy or make. You need to either do a lot of shooting to make your own bullets cheaper than buying them, or you need to sell some of your output (which adds further issues) for a small margin to reduce the costs. If you only use 1000 bullets a year it's not worth the $1500-$2000 up-front cost of the equipment, on top of the cost of the lead if you don't have a source of pure lead. You're pretty much up for the same cost as casting your bullets (buying lead wire or actually casting bullets that you then swage into the jackets), plus the cost of the jackets. .22LR brass is very thin, much thinner than conventional copper jackets so it does have limits - spinning it above about 275,000rpm is very likely to tear the bullet apart as it exits the muzzle. This makes them best for slow-twist barrels that prefer short bullets, so under about 60gn. They still shoot fine in faster twist rates, but you have to reduce the velocity - 3000fps or less in my 8"-twist is good. Commercially-made jacketed bullets will offer better accuracy and consistency for significantly lower cost. In the really big calibers, like .400" and bigger, people use empty centrefire pistol and rifle brass for jackets.

As for quality, it can vary. Not many people have bought a variety of dies to make different bullets to determine if one is better than others. Most people buy one setup and just make those bullets, not always with optimal results, but generally with usable results. I can't recall off the top of my head ever reading about somebody that couldn't make usable bullets out of it. I don't think most people that make this investment are making bullets as good as commercial manufacturers do. Commercial manufacturers have enough output to put in place very close-tolerance quality control with little to no human intervention. Most people using swaging dies are relying primarily on human intervention at every step, which means some variation in every bullet. This is fine for you own usage I think, you can tolerate some fliers or put in time batching your bullets. But when you start selling your product to other people for money, they aren't making any saving or getting the enjoyment of making them, so the fliers are not tolerable to your customers. Are they going to buy your bullets and then spend the hours measuring and weighing them to batch them, or just go and buy higher-quality bullets that are cheaper than yours and don't need batching? If you're going to sell them to recoup the outlay then you need to add significant quality control, or man hours, which then drives your selling price up even further, making your product even less enticing against cheaper higher-quality bullets.

So, if you want a lifetime supply of reasonably high-quality bullets and never have to rely on outside sources, or if the bullet you want is simply not offered by any manufacturer then the investment is probably a good one. Likewise if you just want to enjoy experimenting and making your own bullets, go for it. I wouldn't go into it expecting to save money though.

But if you just want a lifetime supply of high-quality bullets, weigh up how many bullets that will be, and just buy them now. You'll have your lifetime supply locked away, with no further effort on your part. In twenty years you'll still be shooting the same excellent twelve-cent Gamekings, all from the same batch, while your mates are paying $200 or more to buy the same bullet by the hundred, when they can even find them. And when they can't, you can always sell them some of yours. I bought a hundred 75gn Hornady .243" hollow-points in 1984 for $16, and that was off the shelf of my local Elders. I don't know if you could even order bulk bullets back in those days.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 May 2022, 12:11 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yep, Lee do a 55g.

How fast can you push powder coated bullets? 2500fps?

Screenshot_20220505-101047_Gallery.jpg

It's not written in stone as there are too many variables, but yes, 2500fps is common I think. I have seen people claiming over 3000fps with cast in AR15's though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 05 May 2022, 3:47 pm

Making jacketed bullets is really only worthwhile if making bullets for competition shooting like benchrest as i do. As Blade has said, the dies, especially the point up dies from Niemi and the like can be in the thousands and take years to get because of wait times. Corbin 22 LR kits are relatively cheap in comparison.
Making bullets from 22 LR cases is very cheap once you have the dies, around zero dollars but time consuming where the process is more labour intensive than you think. You have the choice of casting cores, making your own lead wire, relatively easy, or buying the lead wire, bloody expensive. Either way, the cut or cast cores have to go through a squirt die to make uniform weight, degreased and oxidised for best results.
Cases have to be sorted, annealed, maybe twice, and de-rimmed. Then once made, because of the limitation of brass jackets, the bullets are limited to around 3000 fps, depending on twist rates and what brand of 22 LR cases are used. I use Eley Tenex or Match cases gathered from the local benchrest club as these are the most uniform and seem to be tougher. So if you have an 8 or 9 twist 223, you would be wasting your time. For all the trouble, save the dollars and do exactly what Blade said, buy in bulk when the prices are right.
Billshed can get into the details a bit more as he delves into this stuff with his range of bullets in 22 and 17 caliber based on 22LR jackets. Properly done they can perform very well at the target and are super explosive on game.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 05 May 2022, 7:11 pm

Two of the best and honest write ups I have read. All very true and correct. It is not for everyone, especially if you are not willing to be anal about process. I have spent a gazillion hours in the shed building little machines to make the process quicker and easier but in the end it still takes a lot of gear and time if you want to make jacketed projectiles. Kiln, good trimmers, derimming machine, balance, etc. For the 52-55gn projectiles, just buy factory in bulk and save yourself lots of mental anguish. If you want to experiment to the max, build them yourself and enjoy the ride. For me it started out trying to get the costs down and over time it has done so very easily. Now it is more of extending the idea and building the little machines to try different stuff. For example, a major source of inaccuracy is the firing pin mark on the edge of the base of a .224 projectile jacket made out of a 22LR case. So ….I built a saw to cut off the neck of a 17WSM case, then built a derimming die for the 17 WSM case, then I built a draw die to get it to .252” ( for .257” projectiles). I then put those through the .243” jacket maker, then through a .224” jacket maker. Then chopped off all the excess and trimmed to length. There was also 2 annealings and 2 cleanings during this process. This made a beautiful .224” projectile jacket with the firing pin dent now located near the nose and not at the base. Perfect. And that was just to make the jacket!!! Then there is the whole process of making lead wire and cores.
Did it shoot any better than factory projectiles? No.
Was it time / cost effective ? No.
Was it fun ( to me) hell yeah, and I learned heaps. Each for their own.
Making a 30gn .224” soft point, half jacket or a 30gn in 17 cal ( or any other weight / length combination) is now dead easy and very cheap but it has been a long process and it is sooo easy to make junk.
Decide what you want and have your eyes wide open.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by northdude » 06 May 2022, 4:56 am

All very interesting. I knew it would involve heaps of time and money as most hobbys do. No different to the guy that pours endless amounts into a car or whatever..
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 15 May 2022, 3:51 pm

Was just killing time and noticed the Oz Gunmart have double molds for $49 + delivery.
Just add powder coating and gas check.

Resized_Screenshot_20220515-154606_DuckDuckGo.jpeg
Resized_Screenshot_20220515-154606_DuckDuckGo.jpeg (132.46 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 16 May 2022, 12:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Was just killing time and noticed the Oz Gunmart have double molds for $49 + delivery.
Just add powder coating and gas check.

Resized_Screenshot_20220515-154606_DuckDuckGo.jpeg

Where would you get the gas checks?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 16 May 2022, 1:19 pm

https://support.leeprecision.net/en/kno ... i-need-one

Just shop around I guess. Or buy the tools to make them.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 16 May 2022, 1:23 pm

I found them.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 16 May 2022, 1:39 pm

I have made them and while they do shoot reasonable there is some limitations . They can not give equal accuracy compared to the same bullet made with a better jacket like a J4 . No matter what anyone says . They can not be driven to the same velocities as a bullet made with a commercial jacket .
The jacket is thin and easily destructed so they expand very easily and lack penetration compared to bullets with thicker jacket material .
The dirty powder residue inside the case creates problems to do anything else to increase penetration and velocity potential like core bonding .
The firing pin indent in the base of the case creates accuracy problems but can be reduced by using a cup base punch creating a concave base .
If you could really clean the inside of the rimfire jacket so the core could be solder bonded which is a simple process and also apply a cup base they would be more useful and shoot better . I have not developed a process for cleaning the inside of the jacket properly .
They are a reasonable bullet in a 22 hornet or a reduced load in a 222 but not a good bullet to use in a big high velocity cartridge .
Although I have not tested the effects of core bonding because I could not get the jackets properly clean inside but theoretically it should increase the potential velocity and improve penetration .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2022, 2:55 pm

JohnV wrote:I have made them and while they do shoot reasonable there is some limitations . They can not give equal accuracy compared to the same bullet made with a better jacket like a J4 . No matter what anyone says . They can not be driven to the same velocities as a bullet made with a commercial jacket .
The jacket is thin and easily destructed so they expand very easily and lack penetration compared to bullets with thicker jacket material .
The dirty powder residue inside the case creates problems to do anything else to increase penetration and velocity potential like core bonding .
The firing pin indent in the base of the case creates accuracy problems but can be reduced by using a cup base punch creating a concave base .
If you could really clean the inside of the rimfire jacket so the core could be solder bonded which is a simple process and also apply a cup base they would be more useful and shoot better . I have not developed a process for cleaning the inside of the jacket properly .
They are a reasonable bullet in a 22 hornet or a reduced load in a 222 but not a good bullet to use in a big high velocity cartridge .
Although I have not tested the effects of core bonding because I could not get the jackets properly clean inside but theoretically it should increase the potential velocity and improve penetration .

Have you looked at buy commercially-made bullet jackets as an option?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 16 May 2022, 3:12 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JohnV wrote:I have made them and while they do shoot reasonable there is some limitations . They can not give equal accuracy compared to the same bullet made with a better jacket like a J4 . No matter what anyone says . They can not be driven to the same velocities as a bullet made with a commercial jacket .

Have you looked at buy commercially-made bullet jackets as an option?

Been making my own on all kinds of jackets including commercial ones for about 40 years now on and off .
Recent batch of .243 81 grain PPFB moly coated
Last edited by JohnV on 16 May 2022, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2022, 3:41 pm

JohnV wrote:Been making my own on all kinds of jackets including commercial ones for about 40 years now on and off .

Cool, how does the price compare with bought jackets compared to commercially available bullets?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 16 May 2022, 3:57 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JohnV wrote:Been making my own on all kinds of jackets including commercial ones for about 40 years now on and off .

Cool, how does the price compare with bought jackets compared to commercially available bullets?

With the current prices on pills across the board making your own is considerably cheaper than purchasing commercial stuff if you have the gear. I use J4 jackets because that's what i use for my BR pills, but if i used say Corbin it would be cheaper again. Lead i get for free, so at 30 to 40 cents a J4 jacket for a 30 caliber pill i can make anything from 108 grain though to 180 grain. At current prices that is very cheap. Years ago it was not worth it.
Now these pills i'm talking about are not junk where in my 30 BR Hunter rifle the 116s i use shoot in the point ones and the 162s used in a heavy gun have shot sub 2 inch aggregates at 600 yards. Totally wasted on pigs, but still cheaper than a SST and kill just as well.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 16 May 2022, 4:22 pm

Good question I have never bothered to work that out and price rises would have eroded the savings .
The most relevant factor now is the cost of the equipment , to buy what I have now would cost me about $6000 . You can buy a lot of bullets for $6000.
I can't just use any old scrap lead , it has to be fairly pure lead otherwise the presses that I have can't swage the cores or point form the jackets .
More Modern larger presses can handle harder alloys but only a hydraulic press with large diameter dies can handle wheel weight alloys .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2022, 5:06 pm

JohnV wrote:Good question I have never bothered to work that out and price rises would have eroded the savings .
The most relevant factor now is the cost of the equipment , to buy what I have now would cost me about $6000 . You can buy a lot of bullets for $6000.
I can't just use any old scrap lead , it has to be fairly pure lead otherwise the presses that I have can't swage the cores or point form the jackets .
More Modern larger presses can handle harder alloys but only a hydraulic press with large diameter dies can handle wheel weight alloys .

Yes, the equipment outlay is the real issue I think.
Even if you made 60,000 bullets you're still at ten-cents per bullet just to cover the cost of the equipment - plus the cost of the jackets and the lead (you would get some of that back if you sold the equipment afterwards of course). You can buy really nice .224" bullets for under 15 cents apiece, when they're available. If you have to buy pure lead at $12/kg that's four-cents per bullet for 55gn bullets, plus the jackets. From Sierra, the .224" jackets are US$170/1000, or seventeen-cents-US each (.264" are US$135/1000, .308" are US$265/1000).

Good luck trying to make any money out of making them commercially nowadays.

However, Scott Driver of Driver Bullets is making very nice .311" and .308" bullets for about $75/100. I keep meaning to try them but I already have thousands of bullets to play with in my thirty-cal rifles.

The Berry's .30-cal Copper-Plated 123gn and 150gn bullets are under 25c apiece and shoot great, for lower velocities.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 May 2022, 5:41 pm

bigpete wrote:I found them.

Where?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2022, 5:49 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:I found them.

Where?

Rebels have Hornady - https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collections/casting/products/hornady-gas-checks-22-cal-1000pk
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition