CARDBOARD CARTRIDGE BOXES

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

CARDBOARD CARTRIDGE BOXES

Post by Madang185 » 08 May 2022, 7:25 am

For those who reload I have a question. If they were available, would you buy and store

your new ammunition in traditional 20 round cardboard cartridge boxes complete with foam insert tray?

Thanks for your input
Madang185
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: CARDBOARD CARTRIDGE BOXES

Post by Blr243 » 08 May 2022, 8:45 am

That’s a good question. It made me think for a while. I probably would do. Otherwise I’m stuck with any old ones I may have of plastic flip lid boxes. The latter are not usually perfectly suited to being stored in a Ute or quad bike on a hunt. Three times a pack of 20 is probably more appropriate... why do u ask mandang. Are u thinking of organising some as some sort of business opportunity?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 May 2022, 9:30 am

I just use small plastic boxes you buy in kmart. Or steel the wifes from the kitchen. Then duck. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 May 2022, 1:58 pm

I keep my reloads in factory packets I pick up at the range, some are the original packets I've bought ammo in like 10 packets of Highland 6.5 Carcano. In other cases I just use a texta to mark packets, like Rem 30-06 which I might keep 8x57 in. Picking up empty (sometimes full, like 2 packets of 7x57 Norma!) packets at the range is commonplace, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 08 May 2022, 3:39 pm

Alot of airlines used to state that ammo must be stored in original packaging. Whatever that means for those that reload. I haven't flown with a gun for years but I used to keep ammo in the original cardboard packets.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 May 2022, 4:34 pm

MtnMan wrote:Alot of airlines used to state that ammo must be stored in original packaging. Whatever that means for those that reload. I haven't flown with a gun for years but I used to keep ammo in the original cardboard packets.

Also my understanding. Dangerous Goods code I guess. Aviation industry has its own regulations/code in this regard. But I have been told I'm an idiot & wrong on that one. :unknown:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 08 May 2022, 6:11 pm

It depends on what you mean by the term "store " For short term storage the cardboard box is ok but for long term storage any kind of paper will absorb moisture from the air and can have chemicals inside the paper it's self so the moisture activates the chemicals tarnishing the brass quicker . MTM plastic ammo box's sealed inside Army issue ammo cans is reasonable long term storage .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bills Shed » 08 May 2022, 6:31 pm

Defiantly no, to small and difficult / fiddly to get into at night. I just have a old calico bag that will hold whatever I have reloaded in that batch usually 200-300. Hang it open on the dash and just dive the hand in to fill a magazine.
If in the ute for a long time I have a couple of wooden boxes that Hold 100 that I built 20+ years ago. Lids are a sliding type so that you can slide the lid off and leave the standing ammo open ready to pick out. Those plastic flip type lids irk me.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by JohnV » 08 May 2022, 7:14 pm

We have gone from talking about storing ammo to being in a ute shooting it , it's quite different . In a vehicle while spotlighting I use a 100 round of 223 MTM ammo box that fits nicely inside the center console with the lid slide down the side so it's kept open . I do agree that flip type lids can be an issue at times but I have worked out ways to solve that . I only load one cartridge at a time in the gun anyway and it has no ejector pin . So I hook the case out with a finger . This way the cases don't get thrown all over the vehicle or out the window . I don't want my precision loaded ammo bumping around in a calico sack . No Thank you .
Each to his own . The other 300 rounds are sealed in the Ex Army ammo can on the floor or in the back . If it was FMJ stuff or SKS rounds then the calico sack might be on the cards .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2022, 7:49 pm

Madang185 wrote:For those who reload I have a question. If they were available, would you buy and store

your new ammunition in traditional 20 round cardboard cartridge boxes complete with foam insert tray?

Thanks for your input

No, I don't think I would. I have quite a few of them in different varieties, including some with the styrene trays, plastic trays, and the interleaved cardboard separators. I haven't found any use for them. When I was a kid I used the Winchester cardboard boxes with cardboard separators for my field ammo, but I don't know if plastic boxes were even available then. All my empty ammo boxes go into a couple of big boxes on top of the wardrobe. Mostly .22LR and 12ga boxes as I don't buy centrefire ammo, but I've been given a variety of partial boxes and ammo that people no longer had any use for.

I would say most of my ammo is stored in MTM boxes.
Quite a lot is stored in three types of small plastic boxes with hinged latched lids, Ebay about $100 for 300 or so from memory - very useful for lots of things, not just reloading. A lot of my milsurp ammo is stored in stripper clips in cloth bandoliers, I got a bunch of .303 ones on a great Ebay deal years ago.
I have some of the plastic "sleeve" boxes that only hold twenty rounds, I don't much like them and rarely use them, but they are easier to fit in a pocket than a 50rd or 100rd MTM box. The lid slides over the bottom but doesn't latch in any way, pick them up incorrectly and the bottom drops out spilling your ammo. I use plastic vials for air-rifle pellets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 08 May 2022, 9:51 pm

First up,,,,,,, I do not reload. (probably should,, but never did, and I'm an old dog)
That being said,,, over the last few years I've bought all the different caliber factory ammo I'll ever need when it's been on special,,,,,,,
Plus buying "private sale" lots.

To the point that when I fall off my perch, there will be a massive sale of what I never got to use.

But getting to the OP's question.

I store all such ammo in the original cardboard packets,, held in humidity controlled safes.
They are fine stored just like that.
But,,,,,,,, all ammo that I take out on overnight trips is held in MTM cases because the factory cardboard packets just soak up moisture
and can be quite damp by sunrise.
On the other hand, once home,, all I have to do is open the MTM lid and leave it for an hour or two,, then pack it away for the next night.
I do reuse the factory cardboard boxes to store the empty cases in,, which one day I may either sell or pay someone to reload to near factory loads.

The big issue with using/reusing factory boxes is the dam flaps usually end up failing.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 08 May 2022, 10:02 pm

JohnV wrote:We have gone from talking about storing ammo to being in a ute shooting it , it's quite different . .

Um no.
I do not buy factory ammo for my CF, my reloaded ammo is my new ammo and I store it in a bag. Store is subjective and no time frame given.

No problem there. But i see where you are coming from.

If not in the ute, it is in the safe, still in the bag. Long term storage ( more than a month or so) the bag just gets put into an old army ammo can. Still not in cardboard.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Reloading ammunition