Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by MattEnfantie81 » 08 May 2022, 5:52 pm

Afternoon all I have just recently got a howa 223 my question is has any body reloaded 223 with ar2208 and if so what projectiles and what powder load did they use. im trying to kill two birds with one stone as i reload for my 308 as well
MattEnfantie81
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 1
Western Australia

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 May 2022, 7:20 pm

MattEnfantie81 wrote:Afternoon all I have just recently got a howa 223 my question is has any body reloaded 223 with ar2208 and if so what projectiles and what powder load did they use. im trying to kill two birds with one stone as i reload for my 308 as well


Yep ... 2208 with 55g projectiles in the .223
I'm loading a compressed load that gives me 3150 fps
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3541
South Australia

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Cooper » 09 May 2022, 9:39 pm

I started my 223 reloads with 2208. Worked fine. Was just using 25gr with 55gr projectiles. Wasn’t the fastest. But was accurate and a good hunting load.

I mainly use 8208 now. But still use 2208 with heavier projectiles. I found 2206h gave better velocity than the 2208 but the 2208 gave better SD (standard deviation).
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 539
Victoria

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 May 2022, 6:26 pm

G'day MattEnfantie81,
Get an ADI load book, or jump into their website, they give AR2208 data for every projectile from 40g to 90g, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2076
Victoria

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by goldiexxxx » 11 May 2022, 6:01 am

55gr Sierra Super Roo (Gameking #1365)
25.5gr AR2208
Not just me that uses this same load for an accurate hunting or plinking load

24.5gr AR2206H comes close too
goldiexxxx
Private
Private
 
Posts: 75
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Phil Lawlor » 11 May 2022, 6:26 am

For information - My 223 bench rest rifle setup. Lithgow LA102 in a MDT ESS chassis, Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 scope, IBI 22" carbon wrapped 1:8 barrel. 26 grains of 2208, Hornady 60 grain V-Max projectiles, Starline brass, CCI 400 primers. This combination gives me consistent 5 round 1/2 MOA or less at 100mtrs off the bench.
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 16
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by JimTom » 11 May 2022, 6:55 am

Mate 55gn projectiles seem to be the sweet spot for 223, bearing in mind a faster twist barrel will be able to stabilise longer projectiles so you could short heavier. 2208 works well in my experience mate, I however use BM8208 as I found it slightly better in terms of accuracy for my rifle.
User avatar
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2130
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by in2anity » 11 May 2022, 1:41 pm

Not ideal but it'll work. I know our top service rifle shooter ran 08 in the 223, because he's a top class palma shooter and that's just the powder he predominantly uses. Still regularly cleaned the target at 300m with it (out of the sling).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
User avatar
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3026
New South Wales

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by jpsauer88 » 08 Jul 2022, 9:50 am

My howa 223 20" shoots the smallest grouo woth 23 grains 2208 behind a 55g nosler e-tip

I know its not the best velocity but the accuracy suffered (still good though) the higher i went.
jpsauer88
Private
Private
 
Posts: 68
New South Wales

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by bigpete » 08 Jul 2022, 10:31 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day MattEnfantie81,
Get an ADI load book, or jump into their website, they give AR2208 data for every projectile from 40g to 90g, Cheers.

But surely it can't be THAT easy ! Gasp !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3519
South Australia

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2022, 10:37 am

bigpete wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:G'day MattEnfantie81,
Get an ADI load book, or jump into their website, they give AR2208 data for every projectile from 40g to 90g, Cheers.

But surely it can't be THAT easy ! Gasp !


Yep, the number of reloaders who fail to follow that most basic requirement disturbs me sometimes.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 11068
Victoria

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Boundry Rider » 08 Jul 2022, 12:47 pm

MattEnfantie81 wrote:Afternoon all I have just recently got a howa 223 my question is has any body reloaded 223 with ar2208 and if so what projectiles and what powder load did they use. im trying to kill two birds with one stone as i reload for my 308 as well


Compressed load, 60G Nosler BT 3120fps under half MOA in a stainless 1:9 twist Hawkeye 8-)
Escaped WALcatraz
User avatar
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 190
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by northdude » 08 Jul 2022, 3:07 pm

25gr is a pretty good starting point
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Boundry Rider » 08 Jul 2022, 7:08 pm

Forgot to add: powder ADI2208. I also use it in my 30-30
Escaped WALcatraz
User avatar
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 190
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Clint Ellison » 10 Jul 2022, 4:47 pm

Yeah mate 2208 is a good around powder that will work for multiple calibres. I use it with 60 and 55 grain hornady projectile in 223. I also use it with 150,165 and 180 grain projectiles in my .308
Clint Ellison
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 16
New South Wales

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Jul 2022, 10:03 pm

Phil Lawlor wrote:For information - My 223 bench rest rifle setup. Lithgow LA102 in a MDT ESS chassis, Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 scope, IBI 22" carbon wrapped 1:8 barrel. 26 grains of 2208, Hornady 60 grain V-Max projectiles, Starline brass, CCI 400 primers. This combination gives me consistent 5 round 1/2 MOA or less at 100mtrs off the bench.

Why are you using Starline brass in a bench rest rifle? Also have you tried CCI BR4 PRIMERS?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3199
New South Wales

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by in2anity » 13 Jul 2022, 8:59 am

SCJ429 wrote:Why are you using Starline brass in a bench rest rifle?

:lol: good point
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
User avatar
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3026
New South Wales

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Phil Lawlor » 13 Jul 2022, 5:58 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
Phil Lawlor wrote:For information - My 223 bench rest rifle setup. Lithgow LA102 in a MDT ESS chassis, Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 scope, IBI 22" carbon wrapped 1:8 barrel. 26 grains of 2208, Hornady 60 grain V-Max projectiles, Starline brass, CCI 400 primers. This combination gives me consistent 5 round 1/2 MOA or less at 100mtrs off the bench.

Why are you using Starline brass in a bench rest rifle? Also have you tried CCI BR4 PRIMERS?

I am up to my 12th reload with this brass and still no signs of case break down. Some would say I go overboard with my cleaning procedure with my brass but I believe it is key to good results. Visually inspecting every case several times during the cleaning and sizing process is what I do as habit. Yes, I have tried the BR4 primers and honestly did not see any vast improvements. Saying that I am only reaching out to maximum 500mtrs with this setup and the load I have stated above. Do you believe I should consider using something else for what I do ???
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 16
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by northdude » 14 Jul 2022, 7:56 pm

I cant say ive noticed a change in accuracy when Ive changed brass. Mind you im not running a br rifle. Same with primers as well
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 834
New Zealand

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by jpsauer88 » 27 Jul 2022, 12:24 pm

My most accurate load with Nosler E-tip 55g was with AR2208 23.3grains.
I know its mild in velocity 3000fps mark but had excellent accuracy.
jpsauer88
Private
Private
 
Posts: 68
New South Wales

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jul 2022, 8:18 am

Phil Lawlor wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:
Phil Lawlor wrote:For information - My 223 bench rest rifle setup. Lithgow LA102 in a MDT ESS chassis, Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44 scope, IBI 22" carbon wrapped 1:8 barrel. 26 grains of 2208, Hornady 60 grain V-Max projectiles, Starline brass, CCI 400 primers. This combination gives me consistent 5 round 1/2 MOA or less at 100mtrs off the bench.

Why are you using Starline brass in a bench rest rifle? Also have you tried CCI BR4 PRIMERS?

I am up to my 12th reload with this brass and still no signs of case break down. Some would say I go overboard with my cleaning procedure with my brass but I believe it is key to good results. Visually inspecting every case several times during the cleaning and sizing process is what I do as habit. Yes, I have tried the BR4 primers and honestly did not see any vast improvements. Saying that I am only reaching out to maximum 500mtrs with this setup and the load I have stated above. Do you believe I should consider using something else for what I do ???

I use BR4 and 450 Magnum primers in my 223, I don't see vast improvement but I do see an improvement. I see the lowest ES using 80 grain pills when I put the 450s behind them. I don't use Starline brass however they would not be on my shopping list for any sort of accuracy loading. You have shown that you can do well with them. If you tried some premium brass you might see some improvement. How many times have you annealed your brass after 12 reloads? You may increase consistency by regular annealing. Just a thought, not trying to knock what you are doing.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3199
New South Wales

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Phil Lawlor » 28 Jul 2022, 5:57 pm

SCJ429 - All good information. I will look into trying some of the BR4 primers and premium brass to see if I can close it up any tighter. Thanks for the advice. No have have not annealed the brass, your thoughts???
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 16
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Jul 2022, 10:02 pm

Your brass will be work hardened after 12 firings, makes consistent neck tension more difficult. Neck tension plays a big part in shooting small groups.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3199
New South Wales

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by 22Whorenut » 02 Aug 2022, 11:15 am

As others have already covered…. I use AR2208 in my 223 1/8 twist for 65gr and 75gr projectiles. Seems to work in lighter pills as well.
Cheers.
22Whorenut
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 19
Victoria

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by madang55 » 22 Nov 2023, 10:31 pm

Last post for this subject Aug 2022.
Don't let it go. there must be some new or current info out there.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
User avatar
madang55
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 367
Victoria

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Peter988 » 23 Nov 2023, 8:06 am

madang55 wrote:Last post for this subject Aug 2022.
Don't let it go. there must be some new or current info out there.


Yes. The new info is buy whatever you can get your hands on. Not a lot of choices atm.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 193
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by Wyliecoyote » 23 Nov 2023, 10:03 am

I load 223 and 55 grain roo loads using 27 to 27.5 grains of 2208. The only issue there is is brass. S&B has thicker brass where you can get only 26 grains of 2208 in the case to the same useable level as the Winchester brass where at 27 grains it is a compressed charge.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 131
Queensland

Re: Reloading 223 with AR2208?

Post by madang55 » 27 Nov 2023, 2:22 pm

Yes discovered the S&B problem. I've only got a few which will go in the bin.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
User avatar
madang55
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 367
Victoria


Back to top
 
Return to Reloading ammunition