Components Storage NSW

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Components Storage NSW

Post by Jackaroo » 09 Jun 2022, 2:35 pm

Components Storage NSW

Someone told me that air rifle/air pistol slugs/pellets are classified as ammo and must be locked up securely.

What about reloading 'components' such as powder, primers and projectiles?
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Components Storage NSW

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2022, 4:06 pm

Jackaroo wrote:Components Storage NSW

Someone told me that air rifle/air pistol slugs/pellets are classified as ammo and must be locked up securely.

What about reloading 'components' such as powder, primers and projectiles?

Air rifle pellets are classified as "ammunition" in some states, but most states simply class them as bullets with no regulatory requirements on them, anybody can own them. In WA they have to be secured to the same standard as your firearms - you can't put them in your gun safe with your firearms even if you don't keep air rifles in there. I don't believe there is such a requirement in NSW, but it would be best to simply email the Registry and ask them to clarify it for you.

Primers, powders and ammunition are regulated by Worksafe, not the Police. Police require you to secure ammunition but they have no authority to inspect your ammunition storage, that's Worksafe's purview. Worksafe generally has no remit to inspect private residences unless they are investigating a complaint, except in Qld.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by str8shutr » 09 Jun 2022, 6:17 pm

I just did an internet search using the following key words:
"NSW ammunition storage"
The top of the list response I got was this link:
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0015/131154/Ammunition_Safe_Storage_-_FACT_Sheet.pdf

While fact sheets aren't law, they generally provide guidance around the legal detail. Even though I wouldn't rely on the advice of the fact sheet, it does provide some pretty clear advice. Check it out. Do the next level of research (i.e. pull up the relevant legislation) and go where that takes you.

By all means, ask the question as suggested by bladeracer but a bit of focussed internet searching will give you your answer in a shorter time frame. That's my suggestion.

All the best .. :thumbsup:
str8shutr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Jun 2022, 11:50 am

As stupid as it seems, air rifle pellets are indeed classed as ammunition in NSW and must be secured in the same way that live ammunition has to be. You can argue semantics all you like but that is how it is. The storage of components is an area that isn't so clear. I've had an inspection where one officer was totally convinced that I was in breach of the storage laws as I had shelves of projectiles in open view. He considered them to be "live bullets" (his words),and was truly ready to start loading my firearms into his vehicle. Luckily, his colleague decided that as my gun room had a locked door that I was in fact complying with the regulations. With the door locked, they were in fact secured and stored separate to the firearms.
Now, before all of the "Google Warriors" start howling that they've looked it up and that's not the law, try arguing with a copper that believes he's right and you're wrong and is telling you to "stand aside".
I always have my powder locked separately in a wooden strong-box. Loaded ammo, (including primed cases and primers), is secured in various safes and locked steel cabinets. Basic rule of thumb for me is, if it can go "bang" lock it up. I have way too much invested to risk it over a grey area in the regulations.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 10 Jun 2022, 5:46 pm

Gamerancher wrote:I've had an inspection where one officer was totally convinced that I was in breach of the storage laws as I had shelves of projectiles in open view. He considered them to be "live bullets" (his words),and was truly ready to start loading my firearms into his vehicle.

His time will come when he does it to someone who has his yearly police salary in their cars ashtray and the $100/minute lawyers get the letterheads and bulls**t machines fired up :lol: Your much better off being really coy about it, normally the penny drops that maybe someone is a few steps ahead and your being setup for something you dont want.

As for the air rifle pellets, they are classed as ammunition in NSW so put em in something with a lock.
Everything else you can leave sprawled on your dining room table
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition