Why same calibre rifles chambers are different sizes?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Why same calibre rifles chambers are different sizes?

Post by disko » 07 Aug 2013, 4:51 pm

Hi,

I'm doing some reading on reload and accuracy to get my info together for the future... I see that only using brass fired in your own rifle is a popular notion for reloading because using brass that was originally shot in a difference rifle won't suit your rifle as well after you reload it because of difference chamber sizes.

If I had a .308 for example, I would have thought that a .308 is a .308? Regardless of brand or model of rifle, brand of ammo etc. It's all ".308 Winchester".

Why does one .308 rifle (or whatever calibre rifle) have a different chamber size to another of the same thing?
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Why same calibre rifles chambers are different sizes?

Post by tarnagulla » 08 Aug 2013, 5:56 pm

I am not an expert on "why", but I do know that what you have read is correct. As I understand it, as a chamber reamer is used, it wears, albeit very slowly. Over time, before it reaches what the particular manufacturer considers the end of its useful life, as it wears it produces chambers ever so slightly smaller (or tighter) each time.

Cases are produced to a standard size, which means they should chamber in such tighter chambers. If fired in an original chamber (i.e, the largest a brand-new reamer will cut) they will expand to fit (the process is called fire-forming). If you then try to fit such cases into a chamber cut by an almost worn-out reamer, they will only fit with difficulty, if at all, without full-length resizing, which cuts case life by up to half.

In practice, as a Military Rifle Discipline shooter, I tend to keep a separate batch of cases for every rifle I use, of the same calibre. So does everyone else in my Club!
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Aster » 09 Aug 2013, 9:20 am

As a specific example, I know in some mounted machine guns they use a larger chamber to prevent jamming.

A bolt action rifle's firing cycle is relatively slow, where as a full auto high-power weapons system is going to be generating huge fluxes of heat and energy very rapidly - punishing the action and brass going through it. The larger chamber in this instance makes the chance of brass jamming less likely due to heat/expansion.

As for your average bolt action rifles, any differences in chamber size are just manufacturer preference for whatever reason they have prioritized. Could be a bit larger for smoother feed/ejection, or could be a bit tighter for velocities sake.

In practical terms, I find using other peoples brass is just a pain in the ass. My rifles load all their cartridges smoothly, in the past whenever I had tested out cartridges made by friends with different rifles though, their's can be tough to feed/eject smoothly.

If you're shooting for ultra accuracy, your brass will place a small part in that too. But for hunting / fun target shooting it's more just a matter of smooth feeding ammo.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Herdsman » 09 Aug 2013, 4:30 pm

Aster wrote:In practical terms, I find using other peoples brass is just a pain in the ass. My rifles load all their cartridges smoothly, in the past whenever I had tested out cartridges made by friends with different rifles though, their's can be tough to feed/eject smoothly.

This right here.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by inspector » 12 Aug 2013, 1:05 pm

Aster wrote:As a specific example, I know in some mounted machine guns they use a larger chamber to prevent jamming.

A bolt action rifle's firing cycle is relatively slow, where as a full auto high-power weapons system is going to be generating huge fluxes of heat and energy very rapidly - punishing the action and brass going through it. The larger chamber in this instance makes the chance of brass jamming less likely due to heat/expansion.

I dunno, you seen the speed that some trick shooters can put out with a bolt action? :shock:

Looks like they'd be going at a few hundred rounds a minute :D
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by disko » 12 Aug 2013, 4:38 pm

inspector wrote:Looks like they'd be going at a few hundred rounds a minute :D

I'm just a bit slower than that at the moment so shouldn't be a problem :)
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition