Small pistol magnum primer alternative

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Small pistol magnum primer alternative

Post by JimTom » 15 Jun 2022, 6:56 pm

G’day gents

Now that small pistol magnum primers are becoming increasingly scarce, I have been thinking about alternatives when my supply is exhausted.
Does anyone know if small rifle or small rifle magnum primers can be used safely (in a 357 mag lever) or at least what the difference between them is?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Small pistol magnum primer alternative

Post by Blr243 » 15 Jun 2022, 7:44 pm

There’s a recent topic on this I asked same question the other day. I got same problem but I have mayb 7 or ten packets of sm rifle I’ll be useing. The general consensus is they are the same but use caution eg try with medium load first rather than a hot one .... someone told me the Rossi is one of the strongest of the 357 levers , hopefully this is correct ... I was a bit annoyed with myself for having an unecssary quantity of sm rifle primers that I’ll never use but now that I have this new addition 357 lever they will b put to good use. God help us all if large rifle ever becomes scarce. That will really mess us up
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Jun 2022, 7:46 pm

The discussion is in the ARE PISTOL SND MATCH SHOOTERS STILL RELOADING Topic or words To that effect
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 15 Jun 2022, 8:41 pm

Small rifle primers have thicker cups than small pistol primers . So a small rifle primer might cause ignition problems in a pistol . It's hard to say for sure as firing pin blow would vary . I would tend to use the softest small rifle primer not magnum or match types as they are usually harder to resist pressure .
Try a Federal small rifle primer they are usually soft as long as your powder loads are sensible .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JimTom » 15 Jun 2022, 8:56 pm

Thanks BLR, I hadn’t read that thread. I have now though.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 15 Jun 2022, 9:01 pm

Thanks JohnV, I have some federal small rifle primers. The loads I shoot out of my 357 Mag lever action are quite mild so hopefully they will be suitable as a replacement.
Interesting to read in the other thread that CCI small Pistol magnum are the same as CCI small rifle primers.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jun 2022, 12:40 am

Based on everything I have seen you should be able to load small rifle primers in 357 Magnum.

If I had some on hand I'd try it out but only have CCI #41s on hand which is a small rifle magnum primer
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JimTom » 16 Jun 2022, 7:01 am

If you do happen to try it mate I would be keen to hear the results.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 16 Jun 2022, 8:02 am

JimTom wrote:If you do happen to try it mate I would be keen to hear the results.

It works without any issue in my win 1892 357mag lever no issues at all.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Jun 2022, 9:20 am

I'm sure I read somewhere that small pistol and small rifle are identical.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2022, 1:36 pm

I know of a few internet threads where it was decided the CCI small pistol magnum and small pistol were essentially the same primer. Same size, same thickness cup, same priming compound and brisance. As to other brands I havent tried any but anecdotally fellas I talk to say they use small rifle in their levers no problem. Also a couple using large rifle in large pistol cases
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by ob1 » 16 Jun 2022, 3:06 pm

I use small pistol and small rifle in the same 38 Super load in a handgun. No difference in recoil, etc but the powder burns a bit cleaner with small rifle. Ditto for 357 Sig, which burns more efficiently with small rifle but can also be small pistol. Primers do not make a lot of difference in ignition but a hot load will require the thicker cup of a small rifle primer to prevent primer piercing or blow out. Using harder primers for lighter loads is fine if the firing pin will set it off. Using softer pistol primers for hot rifle loads should be avoided.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2022, 3:18 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere that small pistol and small rifle are identical.

Dimensions are the same.
The strength of the metal can differ though due to rifles operating at much higher pressures.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 16 Jun 2022, 5:09 pm

Thank you for the replies gents. Sincerely appreciated. I shall give the small rifle primers a try in my 357 lever when the time comes.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 16 Jun 2022, 7:59 pm

JimTom wrote:Thanks JohnV, I have some federal small rifle primers. The loads I shoot out of my 357 Mag lever action are quite mild so hopefully they will be suitable as a replacement.
Interesting to read in the other thread that CCI small Pistol magnum are the same as CCI small rifle primers.

They may be dimensionally the same but magnum primer compound usually has more ground up glass powder in it to create longer hot sparks to better penetrate the powder and set off hard to ignite powders . Yes ground up Glass ! That is why some magnum primer loads are a bit dirty compared to standard primers , it's the extra garbage in the magnum compound . Short case like .357 with fairly fast powders should not need a magnum primer .
Primer flash tests , the hot sparks are red hot glass . https://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html You can see that the Remington 7 1/2 primer is really a magnum primer and I reckon they would be hard on barrels but they do hold pressures well .
Last edited by JohnV on 16 Jun 2022, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2022, 8:06 pm

I have never used magnum primers for my 357 either and use Alliant 2400 no probs with standard small pistol primers. Not sure if 2205 needs them as its slower burning and slightly heavier charges than 2400.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JimTom » 16 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm

Mate I just use small Pistol magnum primers with 2205 as that’s what the adi data and other manufacturers list. I’d have thought small
Pistol would be ok also.
I have used small rifle when small rifle magnum have been the listed primer with no adverse side effects whatsoever.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2022, 1:00 pm

Jimtom, btw mate I may have some small pistol primers left, being Im getting out of 357. If you wanted to swap for some of your small rifle PM me as I can use this in 223. Again may be a moot point as maybe they both work as well in either, :unknown: but at least it removes the question. I will be coming through your town in a couple weeks again anyway
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JimTom » 19 Jun 2022, 10:39 am

mickb wrote:Jimtom, btw mate I may have some small pistol primers left, being Im getting out of 357. If you wanted to swap for some of your small rifle PM me as I can use this in 223. Again may be a moot point as maybe they both work as well in either, :unknown: but at least it removes the question. I will be coming through your town in a couple weeks again anyway

Mate are they small pistol or small pistol magnum that you have?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 19 Jun 2022, 4:38 pm

Never bothered with magnum primers for 357 mag, most powders its not needed.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 19 Jun 2022, 5:31 pm

dnedative wrote:Never bothered with magnum primers for 357 mag, most powders its not needed.

What do you reckon about 2205 and small Pistol as opposed to small Pistol magnum?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 7:36 pm

never used 2205 but the scuttlebutt was to use magnum pistols for it. Again, 2nd hand info.

p.s small pistol non magnum is what I have J.T
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JimTom » 19 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm

Thanks mate
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 19 Jun 2022, 9:46 pm

2205 works nicely in both 38 Special and 357 Mag but being a relatively slow burning powder it's difficult to get a complete burn in a pistol's short barrel. This seems to be less of an issue in long barrel rifles.
The amount of unburned or partially burned residue is reduced greatly by using a magnum primer and this seems to have minimal impact on muzzle velocity or grouping, the rounds work fine with either primer type.

The only time this has actually mattered for me is with revolvers where small fragments of unburned powder can jam things up on the next reload
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 20 Jun 2022, 7:32 pm

Small pistol primers will work with 2205; But yeah, similar deal with 2208 in 45-70; You get somewhat poor yields and unburnt powder.
Will still go bang
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition