Shotgun Powders

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Shotgun Powders

Post by Yes » 28 Jul 2022, 2:42 pm

G'day everyone,

As all shotgun/pistol reloaders know, there's no ADI production of the popular powders available.

I've just run out of my last stockpiled container - and was wondering if anyone knows of any substitutions for powder like APS350 from any other brands that are available anywhere in the ACT or NSW? I think it might be a long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Shotgun Powders

Post by mchughcb » 28 Jul 2022, 10:12 pm

Yeah, you can buy it for $500 for 500g on useguns but move quickly because people that are selling are offloading quickly.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Larry » 29 Jul 2022, 8:10 am

You could try Wanno 3Fg.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Yes » 29 Jul 2022, 8:40 am

mchughcb wrote:Yeah, you can buy it for $500 for 500g on useguns but move quickly because people that are selling are offloading quickly.

:lol: I thought you were joking.. But there ARE people trying to flog it... for $1000 even!
I don't understand who's paying that for it... Unless you're doing something dodgy where you can't access commercially made ammunition?! I reload because it's a hobby and it's a tad cheaper than buying slabs. At $1000 for powder it's about 10 times more exspensive than AA Winchester shells from my LGS.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Yes » 29 Jul 2022, 10:21 am

Larry wrote:You could try Wanno 3Fg.

Didn't really think about the black powder route. Not sure where I'd start with load data/accurate drop rates through bushings etc. But thanks for the idea... I'll take a closer look.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by ob1 » 29 Jul 2022, 10:59 am

Some pistol shooters are buying shotgun shells for the powder. 20 grains per shell with powder similar to AP50 in performance. Not sure of the brands, but it is happening.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Yes » 29 Jul 2022, 11:36 am

ob1 wrote:Some pistol shooters are buying shotgun shells for the powder. 20 grains per shell with powder similar to AP50 in performance. Not sure of the brands, but it is happening.

Yeah, I can see the cost benefit in this - given the price of factory pistol ammunition and the amount powder from a single shotgun shell. Things are dire.
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 29 Jul 2022, 12:00 pm

They have been dire for some time. It is cheaper for me to buy factory 20G target loads cut them up and grab the primers and powder than the buy them separately because powder has not been available for sometime. Hoarders of the ADI AP powders are charging whatever they like and if you don't like it tough there isn't much alternative.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2022, 1:38 pm

Yes wrote:G'day everyone,

As all shotgun/pistol reloaders know, there's no ADI production of the popular powders available.

I've just run out of my last stockpiled container - and was wondering if anyone knows of any substitutions for powder like APS350 from any other brands that are available anywhere in the ACT or NSW? I think it might be a long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.

I suspect anything that was around has already been snapped up a couple years back by the pistol/shotgun shooters that planned ahead. Your best bet nowadays is to buy bulk field loads when they're on special and use the powder from those.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 29 Jul 2022, 6:15 pm

Yes wrote:

Didn't really think about the black powder route. Not sure where I'd start with load data/accurate drop rates through bushings etc. But thanks for the idea... I'll take a closer look.

I've played around with BP loads, I used 4F as it burns faster but it is still low in energy compared to smokeless powders.
38/357 can be filled to case capacity (this is a must for all BP loads) and are OK with heavy projectiles, actually more than OK as you get a deep loud 'boom', lots of smoke and a big fireball out of the muzzle, even better, those around you start to cough and choke as sulphur fills the air.
9mm is just barely usable in a semi-auto with a compressed load of 4F, magnum primer and a 147gn projectile, as long as the recoil spring is fairly light.

On the downside, range is poor with lots of drop by 50m, accuracy is terrible as the rifling clogs up after a couple of shots and then you're shooting a smooth bore pistol, your hands get filthy, as does the pistol so cleaning is a real challenge (plus the residue is highly corrosive so don't miss any)

Overall, BP is a great laugh every now and then, especially night shooting, but it isn't an alternative for competitions.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2022, 6:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
I suspect anything that was around has already been snapped up a couple years back by the pistol/shotgun shooters that planned ahead. Your best bet nowadays is to buy bulk field loads when they're on special and use the powder from those.

Not all. I have heaps of shotty powder. And not selling it. I'm sure there is still truck loads out there.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2022, 6:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Not all. I have heaps of shotty powder. And not selling it. I'm sure there is still truck loads out there.

Yes, I have quite a nice stock myself, but not being for sale it doesn't help the OP at all. Any sensible pistol or shotgun reloader - like ourselves - grabbed everything they could find when the first inkling of this shortage raised its head. That's why there hasn't been anything in shops for a couple of years, we snapped it all up when it was still available.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 29 Jul 2022, 7:11 pm

Buy cheap, stack deep - Poor for a week, rich for years. I could retire selling 303 174gr SMK's, primers and pistol powder I reckon ;)
Was at a shop today, poor bloke at the counter buying a Rossi was ecstatic he was able to find 3 trays of small pistol primers for $60.....

$60 for 300 primers is a f***ing rip off but I guess when you cant buy any what do you do.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 29 Jul 2022, 7:14 pm

rc42 wrote:
Yes wrote:

I've played around with BP loads, I used 4F as it burns faster but it is still low in energy compared to smokeless powders.
38/357 can be filled to case capacity (this is a must for all BP loads) and are OK with heavy projectiles, actually more than OK as you get a deep loud 'boom', lots of smoke and a big fireball out of the muzzle, even better, those around you start to cough and choke as sulphur fills the air.
9mm is just barely usable in a semi-auto with a compressed load of 4F, magnum primer and a 147gn projectile, as long as the recoil spring is fairly light.

On the downside, range is poor with lots of drop by 50m, accuracy is terrible as the rifling clogs up after a couple of shots and then you're shooting a smooth bore pistol, your hands get filthy, as does the pistol so cleaning is a real challenge (plus the residue is highly corrosive so don't miss any)

Overall, BP is a great laugh every now and then, especially night shooting, but it isn't an alternative for competitions.

In some older cartridges BP gives better results than the modern smokeless powder giving better velocity with lower pressure.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Return to Reloading ammunition