SMLE sporter 150gn projectile - data issue

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

SMLE sporter 150gn projectile - data issue

Post by Vince24 » 09 Aug 2022, 8:16 pm

Hi mates

Quick one.

On my reloading agenda, I have to find the a recipe for my cheap SMLE sporter in 303 British.

Following suggestions found on that forum I was planning to try the 150gn with ADI 2206H - rather than the usual 174 SMK / 2208.
(especially given this sporter is on the very light side - but has a good barrel)
My projectile is Australia made ("the Bullet Factory") it's a flat base hollow point in 0.312.

Problem:
=>The internet site of ADI says to go between 36 and 40 grains of 2206H for a 150gn projectile.
=> Nick Harvey goes from 38.5 to 42 grains.
=> GRT seems to think you can put as much powder as you like in a 303 ;) (while they are nervous on the 6.5 and 2209 for some reasons)

That's quite a difference!
While on 2208 both ADI and Nick give the exact same range.

So what do you guys load on 150gn / 2206H?

Cheers,
Vincent
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: SMLE sporter 150gn projectile - data issue

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2022, 8:52 pm

Have used 150 in mine but Can’t remember what powder I used to put in my Smle If u start low and work up u may find excellent accuracy well before u start to observe excessive pressure and decide u need not go any further
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2022, 9:22 pm

Vince24 wrote:Hi mates

Quick one.

On my reloading agenda, I have to find the a recipe for my cheap SMLE sporter in 303 British.

Following suggestions found on that forum I was planning to try the 150gn with ADI 2206H - rather than the usual 174 SMK / 2208.
(especially given this sporter is on the very light side - but has a good barrel)
My projectile is Australia made ("the Bullet Factory") it's a flat base hollow point in 0.312.

Problem:
=>The internet site of ADI says to go between 36 and 40 grains of 2206H for a 150gn projectile.
=> Nick Harvey goes from 38.5 to 42 grains.
=> GRT seems to think you can put as much powder as you like in a 303 ;) (while they are nervous on the 6.5 and 2209 for some reasons)

That's quite a difference!
While on 2208 both ADI and Nick give the exact same range.

So what do you guys load on 150gn / 2206H?

Cheers,
Vincent

36gn of AR2206H behind the Hornady 150gn.
Fairly light load so you can increase it quite a bit if you want to, but it gives me pretty good accuracy.
I've been working with Bertram's 174gn lately on 38gn of AR2206H. Significantly more recoil and I suspect a significantly shorter case life.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Aug 2022, 9:33 pm

Never mind the variations between publications, MAX data in both are based on legal considerations, ie: liability for damage/injury if you blow yourself up. All published data is slightly conservative for that reason. I don't know who this GRT you mention are, but the idea you can load as much as you like in a 303 is utter bulls**t, dangerous bulls**t too. Stick to published data unless you are VERY experienced in reloading and reading pressure signs, but any published data is safe to work to. For some rifles, 150g flat base projectiles are known to shoot better then 174g boat tails, My "pet" load for 150g FB with AR2206H is 39.0g.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Vince24 » 09 Aug 2022, 9:42 pm

thanks guys

I always do the ladder test anyway, but I like to get some feedbacks to adjust the starting point of the ladder and tighten the gaps where the accuracy node might come (intervals of 0.5 grains at the beginning of the ladder, 0.3 grain where most people say the accuracy comes).

GRT: Gordon Reloading Tool, a free reloading software.
You enter parameters, and it simulates speed, pressure, etc. Quite interesting.
My comment was mostly humoristic, just saying that according to this software the maximum loads of the manuals in 303 are still pretty far from the maxium pressure. It thinks differently when it comes to 6.5 with 2209 and 140 grains, freaking out above 44 grains (which in this case is in line with the usual load data!).
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by in2anity » 10 Aug 2022, 9:43 am

39.png
39.png (70.52 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

40.png
40.png (70.71 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

41.png
41.png (70.82 KiB) Viewed 2456 times

42.png
42.png (70.92 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
Last edited by in2anity on 10 Aug 2022, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Aug 2022, 11:31 am

:D G'day in2anity,
Interesting data, now if you could post for 303 British, as OP was asking? (And lay off the "Happy Havelock", or Mum's cooking sherry :D )
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 10 Aug 2022, 5:32 pm

42gr of AR2206H/150gr is on the money for where you should call it a day;
Quickload reckons its in the 42k psi range
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 10 Aug 2022, 9:09 pm

No1Mk3 wrote::D G'day in2anity,
Interesting data, now if you could post for 303 British, as OP was asking? (And lay off the "Happy Havelock", or Mum's cooking sherry :D )

:oops: :lol: oh dear No1Mk3 how bloody embarrassing,.. as you may have guessed, I've been helping a clubmate out with his new No4-762 Sterling, and forget we were dealing with ye olde 3-oh here... oops. Terribly sorry OP - allow me to rectify that. Please take look at my quickload grabs again for 303 data under a 150gr Hornady.

If it were a No4 action it could handle 42gr no dramas, I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. But considering it's a smelly no1, perhaps 41gr maybe a little safer? The seating depth in those grabs is kinda deep, same as ADI - if you seat them out a bit more, you'll wipe a K or two off the pressure.

41gr is going to be a very pleasant load to shoot - perfectly fine for 300m shooting. My mate runs that under a 150gr 30cal and he likes it better than an AR2208 load.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 10 Aug 2022, 9:10 pm

dnedative wrote:42gr of AR2206H/150gr is on the money for where you should call it a day;

That data was for 308 - look again. But yeah it's quite similar. Must say 42gr is warm for a No1 action, nothing for No4 action.
Last edited by in2anity on 11 Aug 2022, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Aug 2022, 9:17 pm

dnedative wrote:42gr of AR2206H/150gr is on the money for where you should call it a day;

Is that a SAAMI type pressure? 42K still a long way short of the 49K SAAMI Max for the 303, what velocity does quickload give for that load? I get an avg of 2540 for my 39.5g load in a 2 groove Long Branch No4. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Vince24 » 10 Aug 2022, 10:44 pm

THank you guys, this is very helpful!

Yeah it seems that with the maximum pressure of 303 brittish, there would be some room to play, and there it seems that both quickload and GRT agree.

But those are old toys (this SMLE sporter is from 1941) so let's be conservative.

I am thinking about the following ladder with 2206H and the 150gn:

38 / 38.5 / 39 / 39.5 / 40 / 40.5 / 41

7 loads of 4 shots, +2 shots to warm up the rifle, 30 shots for this one at 50 meters to see how it goes.

I am not very demanding, just want that one of these loads gets me to a better group than with the PPU!
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2022, 8:54 am

No1Mk3 wrote:Is that a SAAMI type pressure? 42K still a long way short of the 49K SAAMI Max for the 303, what velocity does quickload give for that load? I get an avg of 2540 for my 39.5g load in a 2 groove Long Branch No4. Cheers.

The SAAMI spec is always conservative. I'm sure 42K would be fine in any 303. As you know, the No4 is stronger than the SMLE so no worries on that front... Pushing the limits with a smelly though? Why go there? I bet his groups are all pretty well the same across the ladder test. If the thing is hot barrel grouping into 3moa at 300m, without any wandering POI, then yu really can't complain...
Last edited by in2anity on 11 Aug 2022, 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 11 Aug 2022, 8:57 am

Vince24
I have trouble understanding what you hope to achieve with "ladder testing".
Firstly the mythology surrounding it is vastly oversold and is way out of proportion to any practical accuracy improvement value the ritual might possibly deliver.
Secondly consider the effect of not so good military sights on accuracy and a 75% powder fill on velocity consistency and the trivial sample size of the usual 2 shot groups employed.
On the other hand, if you just want to have fun, then it's as good an excuse as any.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2022, 9:04 am

SS maybe it's got a scope on it, might better justify it. But yeah, if it's as-issued, agreed a ladder test at 50m is gonna be a uselessly small sample of data...
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 11 Aug 2022, 5:50 pm

in2anity wrote:

That data was for 308 - look again. But yeah it's quite similar. Must say 42gr is warm for a No1 action, nothing for No4 action.

The Indians converted their bog stock No1MKIII's to 7.62 nato; Contrary to popular belief, they didnt make them out of better or thicker steel. Peter Laidler before he went to prison for borrowing the queens property tested a heap and even found a WWI action in the mix. Dont know why people thought the Indian army of all people would make new tooling or use exotic alloys but I guess it helped sell them as surplus.

That said, Its a bad idea, they stretch the action and headspace gets long but they are a safe design.
Lithgow looked into converting them to 7.62 nato here and selling them as surplus but decided against it given they knew there would be plenty of people who would shoot them enough till they were a danger.

There is a video on youtube of a bloke in the UK who reamed out a well used No4 to 300WM and shot oiled cartridges till something happened. Ended up finding a old defect in the bolt, sheared the lug and the action locked up. Good watch.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 11 Aug 2022, 5:58 pm

Vince24 wrote:I am not very demanding, just want that one of these loads gets me to a better group than with the PPU!

If the forend has been cut down, it will never shoot well no matter what you do.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vince24 » 11 Aug 2022, 6:50 pm

Hi Straightshooter

I am not a native speaker so maybe I did not express that correctly.

By ladder testing, I mean the fact to try different powder loads, from mild to less mild, to see which one achieves the best compromise between accuracy, pressure and perceived recoil. I am quite new to reloading, but in all I have read, it's a classic!

And I am quite convinced of the usefulness of the process, having noticed very significant differences in group sizes from one load to another.
I shoot for the pleasure anyway, so I don't see it as a waste of time or money.

For each load, I do a group of 4 shots. I found it a good compromise. You can mess a shot and still have an idea of accuracy with the remaining 3.

Distance for the ladder test is 100 metres if the rifle is scoped, and
50 metres with the iron sights.

The reason for the 50m with iron sights is that it's the distance at which my eyes cope very well with the official 50 metre slow fire target I am using. If the group is bad, I know it's not my fault. At 100 metres however, the same target is too small and blurry for my eyes. I can stil do good groups at that distance, but less reliably.

Once I have established the best powder loads, I test the best 2 loads at 100 metres, then ideally 200 metres when I have time.

Anything wrong or to be improved with the whole process?

Given the differences I have noted between one load and another, I would not come to my mind to give up on ladder tests.

I am not a bench rest shooter, but I take pleasure in getting my very old toys to shoot well.

Cheers,
Vince
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by dnedative » 11 Aug 2022, 7:45 pm

I know you want to get the best out of it, but its a waste of time.
Brand new off the assembly line the accuracy standard was set at a maximum of 4.5MOA shot out of a mechanical rest; 80 odd years later with the barrel bedding chopped off and the drawers being pretty shagged if it shoots anywhere near that its a good gun. You would do better stacking shims under what is left of the forend to see if you can tune some accuracy via the barrel harmonics.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vince24 » 11 Aug 2022, 8:38 pm

Oh well I am lucky enough to have a number of more accurate military rifles, so on this one I am more driven by curiosity than anything else. Not trying to turn it into a beast!

when I test fired it at 50 metres it did that with regular PPUs (yes it shoots 10cm too high!):

IMG_4208.jpg
IMG_4208.jpg (109.44 KiB) Viewed 2371 times

So it's no thaaaaat catastrophic.
Rather slightly better than my regular full wood SMLE with the same PPU in fact. Of course it's not a scoped CZ 22LR!
The barrel is actually in pretty good nick, despite a weird ring around it.
IMG_3301.jpg
IMG_3301.jpg (528.68 KiB) Viewed 2371 times

(top wood between receiver and rear sigth was removed for that picture)

We'll see if the handloading improves it, or at least equals the PPU, which are nowhere to be found at the good price those days.
Answer in exactly 9 days, weather permitting!

One of the first rifles I got when I had my first licence in Australia, I love the look and weight of those Lee-enfield sporters!
Last edited by Vince24 on 11 Aug 2022, 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2022, 9:04 pm

dnedative wrote:
The Indians converted their bog stock No1MKIII's to 7.62 nato; Contrary to popular belief, they didnt make them out of better or thicker steel. Peter Laidler before he went to prison for borrowing the queens property tested a heap and even found a WWI action in the mix. Dont know why people thought the Indian army of all people would make new tooling or use exotic alloys but I guess it helped sell them as surplus.

That said, Its a bad idea, they stretch the action and headspace gets long but they are a safe design.
Lithgow looked into converting them to 7.62 nato here and selling them as surplus but decided against it given they knew there would be plenty of people who would shoot them enough till they were a danger.

There is a video on youtube of a bloke in the UK who reamed out a well used No4 to 300WM and shot oiled cartridges till something happened. Ended up finding a old defect in the bolt, sheared the lug and the action locked up. Good watch.

Yes. The SMLE is more prone to stretching than the No4, because it's a compartively lightened action. Hence the evolution of the L8. And the reason literally every commonwealth target shooter built 762 converts upon on the No4 action. Does it mean you can't run old milspec NATO ammo through a No1-762? Nope. But we weren't talking old milspec ammo - we're were talking target shooting handloads over AR2206H.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Vince24 » 11 Aug 2022, 9:07 pm

Oh guys I have also one of these Indian SMLE in 308W, dated 1965.

Now you get me worried!;)
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2022, 9:07 pm

dnedative wrote:
If the forend has been cut down, it will never shoot well no matter what you do.

That's a huge generalisation. Yes sporterising can disrupt the harmonics; but they can still be tuned to shoot. How do you explain the L39A1/L42A1?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2022, 10:14 pm

I prefer to mount a scope for any load development. I'm using the Arctic Fox mount on my SMLE but I really can't recommend it. It can be useful if you don't mind having to mess with it a bit to make it work. It removes my eyesight and sight picture from the equation at least, and tightens the groups so you can better see if one load tends to group better than another. For load development with iron sights I would just load ten to twenty rounds and shoot them. It should be enough to show if the load is able to toss all the bullets into roughly the same area, and enough to be able to make sight adjustments for.

To minimise recoil use a light bullet on a charge of whatever powder makes the most velocity-per-grain. The projectile mass is the bullet and the powder, so five or ten grains less powder with the same velocity can be felt. BM8208 or AR2206H are good choices for lighter recoil with 150gn bullets.

You can shoot iron sight load development at 100m, but it requires a significantly larger aiming point. I use insulation tape to make diamonds for aiming at, a 100mm diamond should be big enough to see clearly at 100m, but a couple more strips will enlarge it if required. When you have a load sorted make different size aiming points and shoot at them all. You will likely find that your accuracy drops off below a specific size aiming point depending on your own eyesight.

I do a lot of practice, offhand open sights on half-scale silhouettes. I also cut out the silhouettes on paper and stick them to MDF sheets to minimise the contrast, as you would expect to find under field conditions - a white target on a black background, or vice versa, gives too much contrast for useful practice. But sometimes trying to clearly see the target can be very difficult, particularly the turkeys at 75m. Yesterday while I was practicing with the Henry .22LR lever I also tried the JW25A with a scope. So much easier to see the targets, but so much harder to hold "steady" when you can see every millimetre of movement :-)

I wouldn't get caught up too much on trying to get any degree of "precision" out of these things though, they were never intended or designed to put bullets into two-minutes, even with scopes, so any military competition you might want to shoot is likely to have reasonably large targets to aim at. The military targets have bulls of at least 2MoA I think.
http://www.aihpa.com/targets/HPR_targets.htm

Vince24 wrote:Hi Straightshooter

I am not a native speaker so maybe I did not express that correctly.

By ladder testing, I mean the fact to try different powder loads, from mild to less mild, to see which one achieves the best compromise between accuracy, pressure and perceived recoil. I am quite new to reloading, but in all I have read, it's a classic!

And I am quite convinced of the usefulness of the process, having noticed very significant differences in group sizes from one load to another.
I shoot for the pleasure anyway, so I don't see it as a waste of time or money.

For each load, I do a group of 4 shots. I found it a good compromise. You can mess a shot and still have an idea of accuracy with the remaining 3.

Distance for the ladder test is 100 metres if the rifle is scoped, and
50 metres with the iron sights.

The reason for the 50m with iron sights is that it's the distance at which my eyes cope very well with the official 50 metre slow fire target I am using. If the group is bad, I know it's not my fault. At 100 metres however, the same target is too small and blurry for my eyes. I can stil do good groups at that distance, but less reliably.

Once I have established the best powder loads, I test the best 2 loads at 100 metres, then ideally 200 metres when I have time.

Anything wrong or to be improved with the whole process?

Given the differences I have noted between one load and another, I would not come to my mind to give up on ladder tests.

I am not a bench rest shooter, but I take pleasure in getting my very old toys to shoot well.

Cheers,
Vince
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 12 Aug 2022, 7:10 am

in2anity wrote:
dnedative wrote:

That's a huge generalisation. Yes sporterising can disrupt the harmonics; but they can still be tuned to shoot. How do you explain the L39A1/L42A1?

No, not a generalisation at all. Take away the stocking, they wont shoot.
Exactly the same with a Swiss K31, take away the stock bedding that puts pressure on the barrel and they wont shoot.

The later L39A1/L42A1 (and if you use a H barrel in a SMLE) can be free floated perfectly fine, barrel is significantly heavier and the 'whip' is taken away
Last edited by dnedative on 12 Aug 2022, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by dnedative » 12 Aug 2022, 7:13 am

Vince24 wrote:Oh guys I have also one of these Indian SMLE in 308W, dated 1965.

Now you get me worried!;)

Eh, you'll be fine.
I wouldnt feed it a heavy diet of super hot and heavy 65k+ 308 though
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 12 Aug 2022, 8:46 am

dnedative wrote:No, not a generalisation at all. Take away the stocking, they wont shoot.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one - I've seen plenty that shoot the same if not better than in their fullwood config. Provided the king screw and draws are intact, and the action centered in the stock - a nice epoxy bead in the correct spot, with a proper scope mount solution, followed by some load development to find where the whip is dampening right at the muzzle, and they will shoot just fine, certainly no worse than as-issued.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Vince24 » 12 Aug 2022, 9:36 am

Hi guys

Don't fight, we will be able to settle this scientifically (big LOL) as I also have an full-wood SMLE with an equally decent-but-not-heavy-at-all barrel that will also get in my handloading agenda at some stage next year, and I was planning to use the same projectile/powder combination.

I just have some screws issues to figure out on that one (like - what the hell is that screw under the forewood supposed to do?;)))

Vince
At-least-a-Mauser-does-not give-you-an-headache-even-before-shooting
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by in2anity » 12 Aug 2022, 9:42 am

Vince24 wrote:At-least-a-Mauser-does-not give-you-an-headache-even-before-shooting

Hells yeah baby - off they go, not a second thought needed. Never looked back since switching to mauser... stoopid lee enfield grumble grumble

https://youtu.be/GdAIPp2HFOU
https://youtu.be/_27r6UwSwMA
https://youtu.be/QDRU48Np8no

No smelly will do that
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2022, 1:29 pm

dnedative wrote:No, not a generalisation at all. Take away the stocking, they wont shoot.

Is this true though? Why did they bore out the nose caps and float the barrels for competition if it meant they "wouldn't shoot" any more? My competition rifle is bored this way, and it "shoots" okay, but I haven't tried any kind of precision shooting or load development with it yet, still concentrating on the "as issued" rifle.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition