Case Trimmer Recommendation

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Case Trimmer Recommendation

Post by Jackaroo » 05 Sep 2022, 10:42 am

After a Case Trimmer Recommendation, I will be trimming 30-30, .303 and .45-70.

What a good one to buy that comes with everything in the one purchase (Is that possible)?
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Case Trimmer Recommendation

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 10:56 am

Jackaroo wrote:After a Case Trimmer Recommendation, I will be trimming 30-30, .303 and .45-70.

What a good one to buy that comes with everything in the one purchase (Is that possible)?

I prefer the Lee Quick Trim dies, very quick, no adjusting required.
Size all your brass, swap in the QT die, run your brass up into it and spin the cutting handle a few times.
Cuts them all to a consistent length very quickly.
The .303 stretches so much I run them through the trim die every time - keeps them all at 2.217".

You will need the cutter handle, which also has a deluxe version that chamfers and deburrs the case mouth as well.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265153885004
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/185076568024
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 05 Sep 2022, 11:08 am

Thanks....just so I get this right.

I need the die for each calibre (and in the future if I add another calibre just buy another die)?

And the ONE handle?

I think I have mondayitis or at least my brain does.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 05 Sep 2022, 12:53 pm

For some time, as a cheap yet reasonably convenient entry point, I used the following:

- Lee Cutter with Ball Grip (universal) approx $30AUD
- Lee Cutter and Lock Stud (universal) approx $17AUD
- Lee Case Length Gauge (one for each caliber) approx $13AUD / each caliber.

Lock the lock stud in your cordless drill, hold the ball in your other hand, squeeze them together on the oversized shell, until brass material is no longer being cut (spec length reached). BINGO BANG-GO.

Use a nice deburring tool (such as the lyman) to cleanup and slightly bevel the cut mouth, for seating.

After that, I used the bench mounted Hornady tool - that's ok too although not really that much faster.... just a bit easier on your hands.

Nowadays I use Little Crow Gunworks "World's Finest Trimmer" in my drill press, or lathe. I have one for 308 and 223; my two primary competition calibers. This saves me a helluva-lotta time each week.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 1:09 pm

Jackaroo wrote:Thanks....just so I get this right.

I need the die for each calibre (and in the future if I add another calibre just buy another die)?

And the ONE handle?

I think I have mondayitis or at least my brain does.

Yes, you need _one_ handle or cutter, they also do one that you mount in a drill but that gets fiddly. I have all three but I generally use the basic one that doesn't chamfer, I prefer to chamfer myself so I can feel it happening.

And one Trim Die for each cartridge you're loading.

The die is already a set length so there's no adjustment, just run the ram up to touch the die, spin the handle a couple times, drop the case out.
I haven't found a quicker, easier or more consistent way to trim a pile of brass. If I'm sizing 100 .303 cases, the trimming takes perhaps four or five seconds, and adds perhaps seven or eight minutes to the process. It's also easy to use in the Hand Press. When I was a kid I used one of those vice dies you push the case into, then run a file across the top to take off any brass sticking out. Then I bought a Redding lathe-style trimmer, but you need pilots for each calibre and it's just slow and fiddly to use.
Last edited by bladeracer on 05 Sep 2022, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 1:11 pm

I have the ball grip thing as well, and I buy the Lock Stud trimmer gauges for each cartridge, but I have rarely used them as I find them fiddly. They work fine though.

in2anity wrote:For some time, as a cheap yet reasonably convenient entry point, I used the following:

- Lee Cutter with Ball Grip (universal) approx $30AUD
- Lee Cutter and Lock Stud (universal) approx $17AUD
- Lee Case Length Gauge (one for each caliber) approx $13AUD / each caliber.

Lock the lock stud in your cordless drill, hold the ball in your other hand, squeeze them together on the oversized shell, until brass material is no longer being cut (spec length reached). BINGO BANG-GO.

Use a nice deburring tool (such as the lyman) to cleanup and slightly bevel the cut mouth, for seating.

After that, I used the bench mounted Hornady tool - that's ok too although not really that much faster.... just a bit easier on your hands.

Nowadays I use Little Crow Gunworks "World's Finest Trimmer" in my drill press, or lathe. I have one for 308 and 223; my two primary competition calibers. This saves me a helluva-lotta time each week.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 05 Sep 2022, 1:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:I prefer the Lee Quick Trim dies, very quick, no adjusting required.
Size all your brass, swap in the QT die, run your brass up into it and spin the cutting handle a few times.
The .303 stretches so much I run them through the trim die every time - keeps them all at 2.217".

Can't say that I've ever had that problem.
ALL my brass belongs to ONE rifle i.e., fire-formed to that rifle. Have several boxes (MTM) dedicated to each of my several 303's.
Only need to neck size each time.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Sep 2022, 2:20 pm

No1_49er wrote:Can't say that I've ever had that problem.
ALL my brass belongs to ONE rifle i.e., fire-formed to that rifle. Have several boxes (MTM) dedicated to each of my several 303's.

Indeed. I bet he's FLS, which is not a common approach for the rear-locking 303. Every Service shooter I know simply neck sizes and pairs their brass to their own 303 action. I had hardly any stretch when I was shooting 303, neck sizing only. Then I saw the light and started shooting Mauser :sarcasm:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 2:46 pm

No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I prefer the Lee Quick Trim dies, very quick, no adjusting required.

Can't say that I've ever had that problem.

Are you measuring them after each sizing?
I'm only using this brass in one rifle as well.
New PPU stretched .008" after the first neck-sizing after fire-forming.
After the second sizing they stretched .006".
Third and fourth firing they've stretched .002"-.003" each time.
After four firings that's .020" or half a millimetre I've trimmed off them.
I'm about to shoot a fifth time with the batch I'm using just to measure case life.
No external indication of immanent separation yet.
How many loads are you getting out of your brass?
These are full-power 174gn loads, with my reduced 150gn loads I haven't noticed any stretching.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 2:48 pm

You lose the bet then ;-)
I haven't had to bump the shoulders yet so these have only been neck-sized.
But you shoot reduced loads don't you, with 150gn bullets?
My reduced loads haven't seen any measurable case stretch.

in2anity wrote:
No1_49er wrote:Can't say that I've ever had that problem.

Indeed. I bet he's FLS, which is not a common approach for the rear-locking 303. Every Service shooter I know simply neck sizes and pairs their brass to their own 303 action. I had hardly any stretch when I was shooting 303, neck sizing only. Then I saw the light and started shooting Mauser :sarcasm:
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Sep 2022, 2:52 pm

I have never had any trouble with my Lyman Universal that was bought 40 odd years ago. It is mounted to a foot of pine, that is longer than the unit, the extra length being for holes which accommodate a case for each calibre that the trimmer adjusts. The wood goes in the bench mounted vice. Calibre pilots have holes drilled for them in the wood too.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Sep 2022, 3:07 pm

bladeracer wrote:You lose the bet then ;-)
I haven't had to bump the shoulders yet so these have only been neck-sized.
But you shoot reduced loads don't you, with 150gn bullets?
My reduced loads haven't seen any measurable case stretch.

I stand corrected - apologies. I settled on 37gr 06H under the 174gr - which is indeed on the cooler side. But you are correct in the presumption that many use ~150gr pills, and not super hot loads either. No doubt a contributing factor to case life.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 05 Sep 2022, 3:39 pm

Are 4570 cases goin to grow ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Sep 2022, 3:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:Are 4570 cases goin to grow ?

Pistol brass don't grow no bottle neck - nature of the beast. One of the hidden perks
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 3:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:Are 4570 cases goin to grow ?

I think generally not, or at least not enough to matter.
If you're crimping it's helpful to trim your brass so it's all a consistent length, but you shouldn't have to do it again.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2022, 5:51 pm

These are cheap and cheerful.
Come with just about everything.
There is very little science in trimmers. So, don't listen to the "cry once " boys.

Not sure if they are still available though.

https://sportingshooter.com.au/gear/sma ... e-trimmer/

Screenshot_20220905-174719_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20220905-174719_DuckDuckGo.jpg (427.83 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Sep 2022, 5:59 pm

Thanks blokes. That’s what I thought. I have never checked 9 mm. 357 and 44. Can’t see myself grabbing a vernier to check my 4570
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 05 Sep 2022, 7:28 pm

303 brass, hate the stuff, like looking after silk worms. Got a stack of brand new PPU back when you could buy them cheap as chips.
Neck size and trim it till it gets hard to chamber then give it a bump, when you feel the separation line start to form shoot em one more time and toss em at the range for the next bloke to pick up thinking they are onto a winner. Then they can find out how well their rifle ejects case heads ;)

If your shooting them in a martini then used S&B brass is the go, one and done and your not wasting a good case. Some of them have pretty impressive headspace.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 8:30 pm

Fired a fifth load of .303 PPU this arvo and got another .003" after neck-sizing. All this brass is coming from somewhere so case separation can't be far off now. The hooked wire trick is giving me no indication either.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 05 Sep 2022, 9:20 pm

6 for me; That was out of my old range gun but, new barrel now.
No external signs
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Sep 2022, 10:17 pm

dnedative wrote:Image

6 for me; That was out of my old range gun but, new barrel now.
No external signs

Thanks for that.
I'll give it a couple more I think, then I might section one to see what's happening in there.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 06 Sep 2022, 12:39 am

I have yet to find a case trimmer I am totally happy with 100%.

I bought a Frankford Arsenal trimmer but turned out it will not work for 300 Blackout.

I've used the World's Finest Trimmers but they are kinda of a pain to get them dialed in and then use. Hard on your fingers.

You can get the old school hand crank ones but time consuming if doing a lot of brass.

Everyone says get a Giraud trimmer which is the gold standard, so maybe I will.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Vince24 » 06 Sep 2022, 8:48 pm

Happy with the Lee trimmer on my side, the one with the handle and the die for each calibre.

It does a regular job length-wise and does some form of chamfering/deburring in the process.

what else?
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by deye243 » 07 Sep 2022, 3:24 am

Ok I have been around the block a few times I have had the RCBS hornady the usual brands buy Once cry once just buy the forster .
https://www.brtshooterssupply.com.au/pr ... e-trimmer/
I have been using this for several years and it has not been hurting my long-range shooting .
it is up to you I am not one for buying cheap crap and then upgrading later after that , just buy quality first don't look back.
It is like this really flash term they have today entry-level I do not buy that one , neither did my kids they just kept saving and bought quality from day 1 man are they happy they did not muck around with rubbish .
Up to you , how much money do you have buy quality first up money well spent I don't see the value in buying cheap stuff and then upgrading later .
I was stung back in the 80s never again .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2022, 9:26 am

deye243 wrote:Ok I have been around the block a few times I have had the RCBS hornady the usual brands buy Once cry once just buy the forster .
https://www.brtshooterssupply.com.au/pr ... e-trimmer/
I have been using this for several years and it has not been hurting my long-range shooting .
it is up to you I am not one for buying cheap crap and then upgrading later after that , just buy quality first don't look back.
It is like this really flash term they have today entry-level I do not buy that one , neither did my kids they just kept saving and bought quality from day 1 man are they happy they did not muck around with rubbish .
Up to you , how much money do you have buy quality first up money well spent I don't see the value in buying cheap stuff and then upgrading later .
I was stung back in the 80s never again .

I judge quality by how well it does the job, not how much the company thinks they can charge for it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Sep 2022, 9:46 am

I agree. $164 seems far from reasonable

Perhaps try Simplex

https://simplexreloading.com.au/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Sep 2022, 9:53 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition