303 neck size

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

303 neck size

Post by northdude » 05 Oct 2022, 3:43 pm

I have some greek surplus 303 brass that I ran through my lee loader and then merrily went and primed about 10 of them then had a thought and tried pushing a projectile into them by hand to check neck tension and they basically dropped into the case. Annealing and resizing the unprimed ones and they are good. Do you think removing the decapping pin from my 30 cal neck sizer and running them through that will make them usable
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: 303 neck size

Post by bigpete » 05 Oct 2022, 5:02 pm

It might ? Try it and see
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2022, 6:11 pm

northdude wrote:I have some greek surplus 303 brass that I ran through my lee loader and then merrily went and primed about 10 of them then had a thought and tried pushing a projectile into them by hand to check neck tension and they basically dropped into the case. Annealing and resizing the unprimed ones and they are good. Do you think removing the decapping pin from my 30 cal neck sizer and running them through that will make them usable

You sure they're not .308" bullets?
What is the outside diameter of the brass before and after sizing it?
If the brass has hardened then it won't matter what you size it to it won't have any elasticity to grip the bullet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 05 Oct 2022, 7:17 pm

.311 speer hot cores. I think its hard brass thats why they were good after I annealed them
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2022, 8:38 am

To delay the onset of case head separation (which happens sooner, with a rear locker) most 303 shooters only neck size This obviously requires that such fireformed brass be limited to the one action. The only explanation is that your use of the classic lee loader is not sufficiently resizing the neck. Therefore simply take the necessary steps to acquire appropriate neck tension, which indeed may be yielded by simply using your 308 sizer (don't over-complicate it). Beyond "sufficiently firm", utmost scrutiny of neck tension in a 303 service rifle, is really not worth the effort. Modern levels of handloading detail; relevant to scoped, double-bagged shooting, are a complete waste of time on an antique lee enfield 303, which are at very best 2moa shooters.

I personally aim for tight neck tension with my service rifles because of the inherent pressures placed on the projectile, particularly during a quick-fire event such as a rapid or snap match, where the action is cycled quickly and aggressively. If you implement "light neck tension" [a-la benchrest style handloads] projectile set back is a real problem that indeed opens those groups up...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 06 Oct 2022, 10:16 am

My late mate Tom and I both experienced this problem with the old Lee loaders, yet my dad used one for years for loading his 223 for fox shooting and never had an issue
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 06 Oct 2022, 2:07 pm

After annealing the unprimed brass and running through the lee loader neck tension is fine so I think its a case of hard brass. All the rounds were fired in the same rifle. I havnt gone as far as benchrest prep for an old lee enfield I know their limits. I just dont want the pills dropping into the cases. Ive got lee loaders for some of my other rifles 22h, 223, 243, 303, and a variant of the lee loader for 6.5x55 done side by side comparisons with press loaded ammo and for hunting accuracy i couldnt see any difference...
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigpete » 06 Oct 2022, 2:42 pm

northdude wrote:After annealing the unprimed brass and running through the lee loader neck tension is fine so I think its a case of hard brass. All the rounds were fired in the same rifle. I havnt gone as far as benchrest prep for an old lee enfield I know their limits. I just dont want the pills dropping into the cases. Ive got lee loaders for some of my other rifles 22h, 223, 243, 303, and a variant of the lee loader for 6.5x55 done side by side comparisons with press loaded ammo and for hunting accuracy i couldnt see any difference...

As i mentioned,dad used one to load his fox rifle for years....hsndlosds were under ½ moa using it....nothing wrong with them from that perspective
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 06 Oct 2022, 3:00 pm

northdude wrote:After annealing the unprimed brass and running through the lee loader neck tension is fine so I think its a case of hard brass. All the rounds were fired in the same rifle. I havnt gone as far as benchrest prep for an old lee enfield I know their limits. I just dont want the pills dropping into the cases. Ive got lee loaders for some of my other rifles 22h, 223, 243, 303, and a variant of the lee loader for 6.5x55 done side by side comparisons with press loaded ammo and for hunting accuracy i couldnt see any difference...

yes you need a sufficient level of neck tension out of ye olde three-oh because the projectile impacts pretty solidly with the feed ramp when the action is run quickly. I always seat some drill rounds, measure their lengths, cycle them aggressively from a full magazine, then measure them again to see how much setback is occurring... if negligible, then happy days. :drinks:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 06 Oct 2022, 3:36 pm

Ill anneal these ones once I've fired them as well. I don't want to waste the primers. Haven't loaded 303 before as the surplus stuff was cheap enough to plink with. Ive got some 2208 I can try in it
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2022, 3:39 pm

northdude wrote:Ill anneal these ones once I've fired them as well. I don't want to waste the primers. Haven't loaded 303 before as the surplus stuff was cheap enough to plink with. Ive got some 2208 I can try in it

I've trimmed almost 1mm off my PPU brass in eight firings, I really don't know how long they can keep this up :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 06 Oct 2022, 4:41 pm

is it because there's no shoulder
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2022, 5:24 pm

northdude wrote:is it because there's no shoulder

Mostly due to the rear-locking bolt, the length of the bolt compresses under chamber pressure.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 06 Oct 2022, 5:39 pm

oh so so some light loads would help? I only shoot at targets with my 3, so don't need to chase fps
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2022, 6:07 pm

northdude wrote:oh so so some light loads would help? I only shoot at targets with my 3, so don't need to chase fps

Yep, I haven't trimmed my reduced-load brass at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vince24 » 06 Oct 2022, 9:10 pm

First time I did a neck size with the Lee Collet die, the bullets were still falling inside the case after the neck sizing, lol!
I had not realised that with the Lee collet die, you actually have to push quite hard on the lever of the press for the proper sizing to really happen.
Not as smooth and nice as with the neck sizers from RCBS or Redding.
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2022, 9:26 pm

Vince24 wrote:First time I did a neck size with the Lee Collet die, the bullets were still falling inside the case after the neck sizing, lol!
I had not realised that with the Lee collet die, you actually have to push quite hard on the lever of the press for the proper sizing to really happen.
Not as smooth and nice as with the neck sizers from RCBS or Redding.

Just a different design, the collet crushes the neck down to size laterally with very little friction, FLS-style die forces the neck into a smaller hole to swage it down to size with friction. Lee also does the standard dies, that's what I bump the shoulders with.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2022, 11:03 pm

northdude wrote:I have some greek surplus 303 brass that I ran through my lee loader and then merrily went and primed about 10 of them then had a thought and tried pushing a projectile into them by hand to check neck tension and they basically dropped into the case. Annealing and resizing the unprimed ones and they are good. Do you think removing the decapping pin from my 30 cal neck sizer and running them through that will make them usable

You did it and it worked. So, the issue is the brass is work hardened and inclined to "spring back" after resizing.

It's over due to be annealed..
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 15 Oct 2022, 9:55 am

well happy to say it worked
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Oct 2022, 9:58 am

:thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition