Aguila have stepped in to produce primers.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Aguila have stepped in to produce primers.

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2022, 6:53 am

Brownells US now have Aguila primers.
This would have been meaningless to us last year, but now that Aguila ammo is available here, it's possible we might see pistol primers eventually.
I think it's unlikely as it's likely to be swallowed up by the US before anything becomes available for export, but it could happen.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-12 075005.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-12 075005.jpg (87.12 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Aguila have stepped in to produce primers.

Post by yoshie » 12 Oct 2022, 8:53 am

Anything better than nothing. If we don't get some stock into the country soon we'll all be shooting air pistols.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by rc42 » 12 Oct 2022, 9:34 am

LOL...

IPSC with single shot air pistols, not exactly a crowd pleaser and it takes long enough to get through all of the competitors now

Hopefully there will be other manufacturers with similar plans to bring primers to market, that's supposed to be one of the benefits of capitalism, when there's a demand the products appear to meet it. As a minimum this new product in the US will drop overall demand for primers sooner.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 12 Oct 2022, 10:04 am

Hope they're better quality than their ammo
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Oct 2022, 10:48 am

Personally can't see it happening in any meaningful quantity. The US market is so huge and hungry that we will, as always, be at the lower end of the totem pole. Perhaps someone at Raytrade may be able to swing some primers but when even Beretta Australia are told by their suppliers that they won't be getting the primers they ordered I don't have much hope of a smaller importer being too succesful.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Oct 2022, 12:42 pm

I assume its a new production line for Aquila?

If that's the case I wonder how long it took to set it up?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2022, 2:28 pm

Lazarus wrote:Hope they're better quality than their ammo

I haven't found their ammo particularly great, but it is mostly on-par with the majority of other stuff. Better than Winchester and S&B overall I would say - in my rifles.
I've tried Colibri, Super Colibri, Interceptor HP, Super Extra, Super Extra HP, Supermaximum HP, Super Sniper 60gn, Rifle Match Comp, Target, and Subsonic HP.
The 60gn shot quite well, I want to try it at extended ranges to see if it offers any advantage against wind.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2022, 2:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I assume its a new production line for Aquila?

They prime their own rimfire brass I think so the safety side of it wouldn't be difficult to expand. I would guess getting the centrefire production up took something less than two years, unless they were clairvoyant and saw this coming even earlier. They may even have Mexican government backing?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Oct 2022, 2:49 pm

bladeracer wrote:

They prime their own rimfire brass I think so the safety side of it wouldn't be difficult to expand. I would guess getting the centrefire production up took something less than two years, unless they were clairvoyant and saw this coming even earlier. They may even have Mexican government backing?

Aguila have been making centrefire ammo since the '60's, using their own primers but about 10 years ago partnered with a US company to access the US market with their rimfire ammo which a lot of us shooting ISSF in the 70's used. I still have a brick of pistol ammo I have kept since then. Now they have simply ramped up production to include primers as a stand alone product. They also manufacture in the US via their US partner TXAT.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 12 Oct 2022, 3:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Hope they're better quality than their ammo

I haven't found their ammo particularly great, but it is mostly on-par with the majority of other stuff. Better than Winchester and S&B overall I would say - in my rifles.
I've tried Colibri, Super Colibri, Interceptor HP, Super Extra, Super Extra HP, Supermaximum HP, Super Sniper 60gn, Rifle Match Comp, Target, and Subsonic HP.
The 60gn shot quite well, I want to try it at extended ranges to see if it offers any advantage against wind.

It must be a rifle difference Blade, my 9 twist 24" Howa threw the 60gn jobbies all over the show and keyholed most of them.
I also get far smaller groups with S&B subs than any of the Aguila I've tried, almost as good as the Lapua Center X.

It's strange, I saw the results you got with the 60s, I may as well have used a slingshot.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Oct 2022, 3:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Yes that was my thinking. Probably same recipe for all the primers. In anycase the recipes will be well known in the industry.

And the production process would be well known in the industry I should think.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2022, 6:50 pm

Lazarus wrote:It must be a rifle difference Blade, my 9 twist 24" Howa threw the 60gn jobbies all over the show and keyholed most of them.
I also get far smaller groups with S&B subs than any of the Aguila I've tried, almost as good as the Lapua Center X.

It's strange, I saw the results you got with the 60s, I may as well have used a slingshot.

Which Howa .22LR comes with a 9"-twist barrel?

9"-twist should have stabilised them perfectly. I don't think I've tried them in my Rugers as I doubt they would stabilise in the 16"-twist, but they shot well out of my Norinco with the 14.5"-twist.

I haven't been able to get the S&B Subsonic RN, only the HP's. The only other S&B I haven't been able to try is the HV RN.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 12 Oct 2022, 11:59 pm

I did some research and not much to be found. Zero mention on Aguila's website at all. About all I could find is these are what Aguila uses in their own ammo.

I have shot Aguila ammo over the years. It's alright and does ok.

If they have ramped up production of primers to satisfy market demand, that would be a good thing.

Already they are out of stock at Brownells.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lazarus » 13 Oct 2022, 7:27 am

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:It must be a rifle difference Blade, my 9 twist 24" Howa threw the 60gn jobbies all over the show and keyholed most of them.

Which Howa .22LR comes with a 9"-twist barrel?

9"-twist should have stabilised them perfectly. I don't think I've tried them in my Rugers as I doubt they would stabilise in the 16"-twist, but they shot well out of my Norinco with the 14.5"-twist.

I haven't been able to get the S&B Subsonic RN, only the HP's. The only other S&B I haven't been able to try is the HV RN.

Sorry Blade, I spoke from the blurter.
I've been doing a great deal of testing and writing and confused myself.

Doesn't take much, just show me three shovels and tell me to take my pick. :D

It was my La101 with a 12 twist
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2022, 11:13 am

Lazarus wrote:Sorry Blade, I spoke from the blurter.

Same thing happens to me :-)
But your Lithgow should also be a 16-inch twist, very, very few .22LR barrels are tighter than 16"-twist. I think the 60gn is made with AR15 .22LR conversions in mind.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 13 Oct 2022, 12:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:Sorry Blade, I spoke from the blurter.

Same thing happens to me :-)
But your Lithgow should also be a 16-inch twist, very, very few .22LR barrels are tighter than 16"-twist. I think the 60gn is made with AR15 .22LR conversions in mind.

Damn, Im swinging and missing today.
You're right again.
I need some sleep :lol:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 01 Nov 2022, 12:17 am

I picked up the latest issue of Handloader Magazine and right in the front was a column about the editor going to a junket organized by Sig Sauer.

Sig has grown massively by controlling every aspect of their product and accessories, such as making their own ammo and optics.

Sig people told the editor they have not made an official announcement yet but are seriously looking at a producing their own primers.

It's pretty clear with the growth of shooting sports and gun ownership, current primer manufacturing can't keep up with demand, so more manufacturers are better.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition