Hornady Neck sizing die instructions

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hornady Neck sizing die instructions

Post by Adelaide » 21 Oct 2022, 2:40 pm

Good Afternoon,

I have got a set of Hornady New Dimension Custom Grade dies . The Neck sizing die does not have any instruction on how far to set in in the press ( eg screw it in till it impacts the shellholder and then back it off 1 turn) . I cannot find any such instruction on Hornadys website. Can anyone please assist .

Thanks a ton
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Hornady Neck sizing die instructions

Post by bladeracer » 21 Oct 2022, 5:29 pm

Adelaide wrote:Good Afternoon,

I have got a set of Hornady New Dimension Custom Grade dies . The Neck sizing die does not have any instruction on how far to set in in the press ( eg screw it in till it impacts the shellholder and then back it off 1 turn) . I cannot find any such instruction on Hornadys website. Can anyone please assist .

Thanks a ton

I can't find anything about a Hornady neck sizing die. The Custom die set should be a full-length die. I can't find any reference to "New Dimension" except in Amazon ads for the die set. They do custom make neck-sizing dies but I can't find any instructions for those.
Screenshot 2022-10-21 182335.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-21 182335.jpg (105.59 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

If you are using a standard full-length die then neck sizing is done by adjusting the die so only the neck is sized. You can do this simply by putting the case up into the die, extracting it, seeing how much of the neck has been sized, adjusting the die down further, and doing this until the required length of the neck is sized to hold the bullet. You will need to lube the case each time to avoid getting it stuck in the die.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Oct 2022, 5:33 pm

Does the New Dimension refer to the decapping pin being "threaded" to avoid slipping in the lock nut?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 21 Oct 2022, 6:40 pm

Yea i use them you just adjust the die down for how much of the neck you want to size. Ive got a small container that has lead shot and graphite mixed in it, i just give the neck a swirl around in it to lube the neck
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Oct 2022, 7:50 pm

You can size as little or as much of the neck as you like, as long as it holds the bullet and it is in the neck nice a straight. Try setting it up the die where it sizes 3/4 of the neck and see how that shoots. You can always adjust it down if you want to size more. No need to size right down to the neck shoulder junction.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Adelaide » 23 Oct 2022, 9:24 am

Thanks for the responses but still don't know how far to screw the die into the press, is it until it contacts the shell holder and one turn back and back off further for less sizing of the neck off one turn .

Thanks once again for your responses.
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Oct 2022, 10:12 am

Adelaide wrote:Thanks for the responses but still don't know how far to screw the die into the press, is it until it contacts the shell holder and one turn back and back off further for less sizing of the neck off one turn .

I wasn't able to find any information on the Hornady neck-sizing die so I don't know how it works. It seems very odd that the die didn't come with instructions, but try contacting Hornady.

The Lee die uses a collet, so you just have to screw it down far enough for the ram to push the collet up.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 23 Oct 2022, 4:05 pm

Just put a case in the press raise the ram screw the die down untill it touches case. From there just keep screwing it down untill your sizing as much of the neck that you want sized. It will take a few passes untill you get it to where you want. Lube the case neck before each pass, you should be able to see on the neck how far down the neck is being sized. A rough rule of thumb I use is the dia of the bullet is how much of the neck I size. Seems to work for me
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 23 Oct 2022, 4:08 pm

northdude wrote:Just put a case in the press raise the ram screw the die down untill it touches case. From there just keep screwing it down untill your sizing as much of the neck that you want sized. It will take a few passes untill you get it to where you want. Lube the case neck before each pass, you should be able to see on the neck how far down the neck is being sized. A rough rule of thumb I use is the dia of the bullet is how much of the neck I size. Seems to work for me

Is that how the Hornady neck die works?
That wouldn't work with the Lee Collet die.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Oct 2022, 4:31 pm

Adelaide wrote:Thanks for the responses but still don't know how far to screw the die into the press, is it until it contacts the shell holder and one turn back and back off further for less sizing of the neck off one turn .

Yep, that should get you going.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 23 Oct 2022, 4:37 pm

Hornady custom neck dies (the ones I have) arent a collet system. You have to set the collet dies up differently so the collet squashes the neck against the mandrel
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JohnV » 23 Oct 2022, 4:49 pm

You don't set up the die by any amount of predetermined turns in or out . You set it up by trial and error of watching how much it sizes or does not size as you keep screwing it in further and further , once it starts hitting the neck mouth you then keep going until it sizes down to where you want on the neck or all the way to the neck shoulder junction .
You will see the sizing marks going down the neck more each turn you move the die down . Keep in mind re-lubing the neck inside and out each separate size with a dry lube like 50% Moly 50% Graphite mix . Also important to clean and polish inside and outside the neck before sizing . This and the lube reduces the tendency for the expander ball to pull the shoulder out when withdrawing it . Make sure you don't size past a fraction above the neck shoulder junction as you risk pushing the shoulder back and possibly creating excessive head clearance ( rimless case ) . Hornady new dimension neck die has a better designed expander ball than some others and that also reduces drag . Once you are happy with the amount sized then lock up the lock ring . Make a dummy round up with a seated projectile and work it through the action to see if it chambers and extracts well.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Adelaide » 25 Oct 2022, 5:13 pm

Thanks a ton for all the advice , will give it a go. Just thought it strange that Hornady don't have any info on it.
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by northdude » 25 Oct 2022, 6:02 pm

I use collet neck dies now when I can. Adelaide once you have a play with it you'll see what we mean its pretty straight forward
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JohnV » 25 Oct 2022, 7:07 pm

I also like Lee Collet dies to neck size and a body die to size the body of the case . Separating the sizing process makes life easier and you can make better ammo .
It's almost impossible to get a case stuck in a body die and if you did mange to do it then it's child's play to just drop in a drift into the case and belt it out .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Pendous » 13 Nov 2022, 7:20 am

Scan_20221113.jpg
Scan_20221113.jpg (371.8 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 13 Nov 2022, 9:10 am

Those Hornady instructions are not too bad really compared to some others . Some pointers about proper dry lubrication would make them really excellent . I have 3 sets of Hornady dies and have never read the instructions , they might still be in the boxes under the packing I don't know .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Nov 2022, 11:02 am

That's standard Aussie bloke procedure mate. "Instructions, I don't need instructions..."
I've got Hornady neck dies in .257, 6.5mm and 7mm. They are designed so that you can resize the entire length of the neck without doing any work on the case body or shoulder. Work great on Ackley Improved and other "wildcat" cases. I also use them on standard cases for my competition rifles in 6.5CM, 6.5 x 55 and 7-08.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition