Reloading info for 270 Win

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading info for 270 Win

Post by Adelaide » 31 Oct 2022, 4:58 pm

Good Evening,

Helping my brother out with reloading for his 270 win . Have been told that 2213sc is the best powder option for 130-150 projectiles. Advice would be appreciated.
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Reloading info for 270 Win

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2022, 6:12 pm

Adelaide wrote:Good Evening,

Helping my brother out with reloading for his 270 win . Have been told that 2213sc is the best powder option for 130-150 projectiles. Advice would be appreciated.

It's not a terrible choice but would not be my preference. You'll use perhaps 30% more AR2213SC for similar velocities as AR2206H or AR2208. If you're chasing velocity though the AR2213SC is able to make a little more velocity with the heavier bullets. AR2209 isn't a bad choice either. .270Win is one of those cartridges that you might want to use two different powders for lighter and heavier bullets.

Have a look at ADI's online data for a guide.
http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/data-rifle/270-winchester
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 31 Oct 2022, 7:56 pm

I use 2209 for 130gn projectiles mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2022, 8:19 pm

Adelaide wrote:Good Evening,

The only powders ADI recommend are AR2209 & AR2213sc AR2209 looks to me to be a tad better because as BR said uses a little less powder.
AR2209 is perhaps more versatile also? AR2213sc being pretty slow.

However if you already have some. Why not?

The attached is from the 2016 ADI guide.

Look here.
http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/data-ri ... winchester

270 w.pdf
(175.66 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Adelaide » 01 Nov 2022, 8:54 am

Thanks a ton to you all for your time and responses, will give it a go and let you know.

Have a great day.
Adelaide
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by MtnMan » 01 Nov 2022, 10:46 am

AR 2209 for my 130gr and 150gr bullets.
Have a nice reduced load for 110gr bullets using AR2206H.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 01 Nov 2022, 6:01 pm

You will find 2213 short cut a great choice for those bullet weights, for 150 grain you could even go for a slower powder. Why? Because they give you good case fill and burn cooler which is kind to your barrel throat. Half filled cases of fast burning powder are not the most consistent loads, your ES and SD will be generally higher using faster powders in big cases shooting heavier bullets.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 02 Nov 2022, 3:04 am

Yes you should always go for a full case of powder especially with a heavier bullet .
2209 fantastic powder choice for up to 130 grains 2213sc for 140 150 and 160g will leave the rest for dead pressure vs speed always has always will
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Oct 2023, 5:30 am

so , i got a 270 coming . thought i'd give one of the brand new rem 700 CDL's a try . qaulity is upgraded considerably on the new production rem's apparently . they come standard with a timney trigger too, non-adjustable though :roll:
i'm just wanting some info on loads for general all around use . goats, pigs , chital/rusa deer. i know the 130gn load is standard in the 270, but bullet blow up on the occasional large pig i'm thinking 140 sst's or nosler bt's might be more practicle as a do-all load . any opinions or experience fellas :unknown:
also are magnum primers of any advantage ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Tassiebloke » 15 Oct 2023, 8:00 am

bigrich wrote:so , i got a 270 coming . thought i'd give one of the brand new rem 700 CDL's a try . qaulity is upgraded considerably on the new production rem's apparently . they come standard with a timney trigger too, non-adjustable though :roll:
i'm just wanting some info on loads for general all around use . goats, pigs , chital/rusa deer. i know the 130gn load is standard in the 270, but bullet blow up on the occasional large pig i'm thinking 140 sst's or nosler bt's might be more practicle as a do-all load . any opinions or experience fellas :unknown:

130gr projectiles will handle pretty much everything you listed there, and a pig or goat certainly isn't going to know the difference between 130gr and 140gr bullets as long as you put said bullet where it needs to be.
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 15 Oct 2023, 8:18 am

Tassiebloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:so , i got a 270 coming . thought i'd give one of the brand new rem 700 CDL's a try . qaulity is upgraded considerably on the new production rem's apparently . they come standard with a timney trigger too, non-adjustable though :roll:

130gr projectiles will handle pretty much everything you listed there, and a pig or goat certainly isn't going to know the difference between 130gr and 140gr bullets as long as you put said bullet where it needs to be.

sectional density of a heavier bullet can make a difference on large pigs , especially in high velocity rounds like the 270 . i've seen this effect in 6.5x55 , 123's vs 140's . the way i see it , using a premium 130gn projectile (accubonds) ,or budget 140 (sst's) ,seems to be a good compromise in the 270 . your right about 130's in general on goats and the average size pig , but there are some big suckers in western QLD and NSW ,

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bello » 17 Oct 2023, 4:49 am

Hi Mate
I use AR2209 in my 270.
I chose to use 130gr Prohunter projectiles. (See below pic) (My load data is on this pic for my rifle and me, please work up loads in your rifle and NOT use my load data as this may be dangerous in your rifle configuration)
I found the Hornady SST to be a little too soft (The SST projectiles I used, exploded at close ranges, that is; within 100 meters on game). I found the SST to be quite accurate on paper.
I have tried several other projectiles, but I realised, ALL of my hunting is done with-in 200 meters, so I just need a projectile that would work for me.
Depending on what YOU will be targeting and at what RANGE you intend to target this game, may depend on the type of projectile you use.
Good luck. :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Oct 2023, 6:10 pm

Bello wrote:Hi Mate
I use AR2209 in my 270.
I chose to use 130gr Prohunter projectiles. (See below pic) (My load data is on this pic for my rifle and me, please work up loads in your rifle and NOT use my load data as this may be dangerous in your rifle configuration)
I found the Hornady SST to be a little too soft (The SST projectiles I used, exploded at close ranges, that is; within 100 meters on game). I found the SST to be quite accurate on paper.
I have tried several other projectiles, but I realised, ALL of my hunting is done with-in 200 meters, so I just need a projectile that would work for me.
Depending on what YOU will be targeting and at what RANGE you intend to target this game, may depend on the type of projectile you use.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply bello. I’ve experienced bullet blow up with sst’s too. That’s why I was going to use 140’s instead of 130’s . I’ve used 150sst’s in the past and they worked great at all range and a wide variety of game weights. But you loose the flat shooting trajectory, which is the whole point of a 270.
270’s can suffer with bullet blow up at close range in general from what I hear,
140 accubonds would be my preference. But their hard to find at the moment and not cheap
:thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Oct 2023, 6:46 pm

I use 90 tnt spears in my 270. It’s more of a cat fox and roo gun for me. If I take it pig hunting I don’t reload for it I just use factory ammo 130 soft points by ppu
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Oct 2023, 6:55 am

Blr243 wrote:I use 90 tnt spears in my 270. It’s more of a cat fox and roo gun for me. If I take it pig hunting I don’t reload for it I just use factory ammo 130 soft points by ppu

How did you find the ppu at close range on pigs ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 18 Oct 2023, 10:05 am

i use a model 700 rem in 270 it has been my dear gun for a few years now i am using hornady 130 grain speer points 43 grains of imr 4064 i have read that imr cant be had there.
i used imr 4831 56 grains for years witch is a peek load i have found the gun is much nicer to shoot buy backing the load down lust a little
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 18 Oct 2023, 5:13 pm

Never tried them yet. Hopefully visiting a new place early dec
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Oct 2023, 7:42 am

Blr243 wrote:Never tried them yet. Hopefully visiting a new place early dec

good luck with that mate . i'm out west of stanthorpe over the next few days . i normally see deer 600 meters away up on a ridge , laughing at me ;) . i generally take out that frustration on the pigs :D

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Oct 2023, 7:50 am

wrenchman wrote:i use a model 700 rem in 270 it has been my dear gun for a few years now i am using hornady 130 grain speer points 43 grains of imr 4064 i have read that imr cant be had there.
i used imr 4831 56 grains for years witch is a peek load i have found the gun is much nicer to shoot buy backing the load down lust a little

thanks for your reply ,yeah , 130's are the standard load for 270 regarding deer . i'm trying to use my 270 as a all round rifle with one load. my concern with 130's is with regards to penetration on the occasional large pig. have you used your load on large "hogs".
talking to my gunsmith he spoke to a fella ,and a taxidermist, who confirmed a 175kg boar shot in western NSW a few weeks ago . i dunno if 130's would cut it on large pigs like that with a less than perfect shot . even with 140's maybe i'm just expecting too much of the 270 :unknown:

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Oct 2023, 4:13 pm

bigrich wrote:
wrenchman wrote:i use a model 700 rem in 270 it has been my dear gun for a few years now i am using hornady 130 grain speer points 43 grains of imr 4064 i have read that imr cant be had there.

thanks for your reply ,yeah , 130's are the standard load for 270 regarding deer . i'm trying to use my 270 as a all round rifle with one load. my concern with 130's is with regards to penetration on the occasional large pig. have you used your load on large "hogs".
talking to my gunsmith he spoke to a fella ,and a taxidermist, who confirmed a 175kg boar shot in western NSW a few weeks ago . i dunno if 130's would cut it on large pigs like that with a less than perfect shot . even with 140's maybe i'm just expecting too much of the 270 :unknown:

Yep, man up, sell the 270 and buy a 30.06. :lol: :) :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Oct 2023, 6:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:

keep it up mate and i'll sign you up for a creedmore :P i'll make sure it comes with a free velcro man-bun :D

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 19 Oct 2023, 10:59 pm

bigrich wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:

keep it up mate and i'll sign you up for a creedmore :P i'll make sure it comes with a free velcro man-bun :D

Well given my current "hair style" ill need it. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 21 Oct 2023, 5:27 am

Lol I have a 30-06 I started hunting with the 270 the 30'06 that is what I used and it has taken bear deer and hogs
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition