Good News on Primers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Nov 2022, 9:39 pm

"Transport has stopped period, I can't order ammo from anywhere, even having it delivered to my dealer for collection.
Perhaps ask the gunshop that you posted why they can't transport DG anywhere when you believe they can?"

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!

bladeracer

I never said that. I said it's being transported to LGSs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 29 Nov 2022, 6:28 pm

bladeracer wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Yes one pallet ain't gonna last long, you need a few shipping containers of them.

Pretty sad there is no commercial transport of ammo or primers, that is crazy.

Here in the USA we are even getting primers now from Argentina. I guess they are made in some government arsenal there.

I think transport is due to our tiny market, combined with some difficult "safety" laws (we can easily transport other stuff that most people would consider far riskier than ammo or primers). There's not a large enough market for more than one company to bother maintaining the licences required, and since they (TNT) pulled out last year no other company has so far decided to fill the gap, hardly surprising when there was hardly any ammo or primers around to be transported anyway. Rimfire ammo supply has improved this year though (I have no idea if centrefire rifle/pistol ammo even had any issues here as I don't use it). When we start seeing powders and primers being made and/or imported in useful quantities hopefully the market will pick up enough to entice somebody to take it on again.

Yeah it was ok for the NSW Government to transport tons of nuclear material from the UK through Sydney street to Lucas Heights but to move a few tins of powder and primers is so dangerous . Sick twisted society . ADI promised that sales to the US would never cause shortages in Australia . Lies .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 29 Nov 2022, 7:14 pm

JohnV wrote:ADI promised that sales to the US would never cause shortages in Australia . Lies .

Are you suggesting that ADI is producing pistol and shotgun powders and shipping it all to the US?
There has been no shortage of rifle powders that I'm aware of, though they did say they were going to reduce production of some of the more exotic rifle powders - I don't use enough of those powders to have noticed if there's a shortage. Has there been any shortage of ADI ammunition on the shelves?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 29 Nov 2022, 7:37 pm

Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 30 Nov 2022, 11:47 am

Since the US started replacing it's military ammunition supplies post Afghanistan etc. ADI powders have been hard to find at my gun shops . I think the US is buying more than it has in the past . It all coincided with projectile and primer shortages and covid may be making things worse . I have a friend in Elpaso Texas and he tells me back in 2021 that is he had no trouble buying Varget powder which we all know is ADI AR2208 . So why did I have trouble buying it ??? The US is a huge market that buys in bulk and if you don't supply their needs 100% they go elsewhere .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 30 Nov 2022, 1:13 pm

JohnV wrote:Since the US started replacing it's military ammunition supplies post Afghanistan etc. ADI powders have been hard to find at my gun shops . I think the US is buying more than it has in the past . It all coincided with projectile and primer shortages and covid may be making things worse . I have a friend in Elpaso Texas and he tells me back in 2021 that is he had no trouble buying Varget powder which we all know is ADI AR2208 . So why did I have trouble buying it ??? The US is a huge market that buys in bulk and if you don't supply their needs 100% they go elsewhere .

I haven't seen any shortage of AR2206H or AR2208 - I specifically asked about both of these four weeks ago when I had to drive to a dealer an hour away to collect some ammo I'd ordered, he had heaps of all the common ADI rifle powders. He did say that he prefers not to tell general customers how much he has as they might just buy the lot and he'll have nothing for his regular customers. Same with primers, he keeps a few thousand on the shelf but most of it is tucked out back to stop a single buyer grabbing the lot.

The local "shortage" might just be that your dealers haven't had time to go and collect a batch from the nearest source.

As far as I know ADI is still pumping rifle powders out as fast as they can. Yes, they have contracts to fill overseas but they are also supplying locally. Because we can't ship powder in Australia it requires that somebody has to go and collect it from wherever the distributor is able to move it to. My dealer had to drive to Melbourne every couple months to collect his powder supplies. As individuals we can legally transport powder, we just can't do it commercially.

Tell your dealer what rifle powder you want and how much and he should be able to get it for you without any trouble. If you can't get it locally and don't mind travelling, order it down here and I'll collect it and hold it until you can make a trip down - but I'm 4-5hrs from the NSW border. If you come down the eastern route there's plenty of Victorian bush to explore to make it worthwhile.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 30 Nov 2022, 5:29 pm

Plenty of 06H around here too, never use anything else so I wouldn't know about them.
Feckall use without primers anyway, down to my last 100 :crazy:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 08 Dec 2022, 8:18 am

Back in 2021 Shooters in Victoria were getting a better supply because it's made in Victoria , exactly the same deal with paper goods during covid because it's made in Victoria . We had shortages Victoria and SA had plenty . If you only have one place to buy powder they can sell out quickly leaving nothing fro others . We need ADI to start another manufacturing plant in NSW because what's happening at times is not fair .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2022, 12:06 pm

JohnV wrote:Back in 2021 Shooters in Victoria were getting a better supply because it's made in Victoria , exactly the same deal with paper goods during covid because it's made in Victoria . We had shortages Victoria and SA had plenty . If you only have one place to buy powder they can sell out quickly leaving nothing for others . We need ADI to start another manufacturing plant in NSW because what's happening at times is not fair .

Which ADI rifle powders were in short supply in Vic in 2021? Are you in a remote area of the state perhaps?

There is zero likelihood of ADI, or anybody else, building another facility unless we went into a big war that demanded much, much higher production, and civilians would see none of it. The civilian market here barely warrants having one facility. We have at least ten times more civilian shooters than we have in our entire armed forces. What we need is what may be starting already, companies importing other powders, but expect imported powders to be more expensive.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 08 Dec 2022, 6:09 pm

JohnV wrote:... We need ADI to start another manufacturing plant in NSW because what's happening at times is not fair .

Fast powder for pistols and shotguns is a tiny fraction of the market here and the entire propellant powder market in Australia isn't very large anyway.

This means that nobody is going to invest in a new manufacturing plant just for fast powder, even for rifle powder which ADI is currently making at full capacity and turning a nice profit as they do.

Tigershark were very successful importing 450kg of powder from Europe this year and are hoping to import another 5,000kg next year, all they need to do is find enough approved bulk storage locations to assist distribution for us lucky QLDers.
There might even be an Alliant delivery from the USA coming, the one last year just didn't arrive and it looks like the one this year won't either but there's always next year.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2022, 3:45 pm

rc42 wrote:
There might even be an Alliant delivery from the USA coming, the one last year just didn't arrive and it looks like the one this year won't either but there's always next year.

actually , i heard the big C got that order of alliant powder , and some new mob in WA approached them to buy it . the big C gave them a stupid price, not expecting them to pay it , but they did . so the whole lot was sent to WA and we saw none of it :huh:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2022, 4:06 pm

bigrich wrote:
rc42 wrote:

actually , i heard the big C got that order of alliant powder , and some new mob in WA approached them to buy it . the big C gave them a stupid price, not expecting them to pay it , but they did . so the whole lot was sent to WA and we saw none of it :huh:

So Alliant powders are plentiful in WA?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Dec 2022, 5:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:
rc42 wrote:

dunno bout that ....... :D

what really annoys me is the rediculous prices some scalpers are try to sell pistol powder online for but :thumbsdown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Dec 2022, 5:36 pm

bigrich wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:
rc42 wrote:

dunno bout that ....... :D

what really annoys me is the rediculous prices some scalpers are try to sell pistol powder online for but :thumbsdown:

Thieves, scum, spiders, just taking advantage of fellow shooters. Of low character, don't belong in the sport.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Marlin44 » 24 Jan 2023, 3:05 pm

Suprised to see some F100 primers at Caboolture Firearms yesterday. They are just north of brisvegas
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 25 Jan 2023, 1:28 am

Well the primer situation is improving over here but prices are marked up high and demand is still high despite prices.

Remington primers are definitely back in production.

The Fiocchi primer plant in Arkansas is under construction and when open will be producing billions of primers a year.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by rc42 » 25 Jan 2023, 10:36 pm

Only Federal match and CCI BR4 small primers seem to be available in Brisbane recently but typically priced from $200 to $250 per 1000
Some places are getting occasional deliveries of Fiocchi primers too, when available, these are lower priced and work nicely.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 05 Feb 2023, 6:37 pm

Recently picked up Remington Large Pistol primers and 5000 Argentinean Small pistol primers.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 06 Feb 2023, 1:55 am

I was looking at buying some of the Argentina small pistol primers yesterday, might still include them in an order. Reviews were mostly good, but it seems they have hard cups so pistols with weak springs were having a more difficult time setting them off with light strikes.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by gunnnie » 08 Feb 2023, 7:36 pm

[quote="wanneroo"]I was looking at buying some of the Argentina small pistol primers yesterday, might still include them in an order. Reviews were mostly good, but it seems they have hard cups so pistols with weak springs were having a more difficult time setting them off with light strikes.[/quote

Might be for target revolvers and some auto's. I tested 20rds of 357 light loads using the Argie primers, in my slicked Uberti 1873 lever gun. Every round functioned without hesitation.
I have loaded up some 38Spl loads to test in my S&W Mod67. Also a qty to test in a worked Kimber 1911 Stainless II 9mm. If they don't function in that, no bigger as I'll switch them over to my Glock 34. That thing eats hard primers for brekkie.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Salty » 23 Feb 2023, 2:24 pm

Well they better hurry up and flood the market as my stock of CCI SP primers is down to under 1,000 , my local a couple of years back now was clearing his CCI primer stock at $40/1,000 so I stocked up before the crash happened and with only a small stock of AS350 left I trialled some AS50N in the 9mm, worked very well so grabbed a small bottle of it out bush, (thats all they would let me have) when on holiday, then stumbled on a 2kg keg of it for $160 so snapped it up................ just running shy of primers soon for the pistols and even my 310 I'm low on small rifle ........
Salty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 24 Feb 2023, 12:47 am

Here in the USA we are seeing a bunch of Fiocchi primers now hit the market everywhere, but these are out of Italy. Hopefully we will see the US made primers soon.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Over The Hill » 19 May 2023, 5:38 pm

No shortage of primers currently in Western Australia. In my local shop today and saw plenty of small pistol match grade, small and large rifle. Bought a few of the Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle primers to place the CCI ones I used last 6 months. 170/1000 I have no idea on how good these primers are, will have to try a few out sometime. Interesting to note that the box says made in USA however these were shipped from South Africa to OZ by OSA. I assume that they could not buy direct from the USA and found a large qty available in SA
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 19 May 2023, 6:42 pm

South Africa is probably just like China they can write Made in USA who's gonna stop them
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Marlin44 » 19 May 2023, 8:34 pm

Over The Hill wrote:No shortage of primers currently in Western Australia. In my local shop today and saw plenty of small pistol match grade, small and large rifle. Bought a few of the Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle primers to place the CCI ones I used last 6 months. 170/1000 I have no idea on how good these primers are, will have to try a few out sometime. Interesting to note that the box says made in USA however these were shipped from South Africa to OZ by OSA. I assume that they could not buy
direct from the USA and found a large qty available in SA

The owners of OSA also own a business in Sth Africa and are the agent for Remington in that country. - simple as that
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Over The Hill » 19 May 2023, 8:43 pm

Marlin44 wrote:
Over The Hill wrote:No shortage of primers currently in Western Australia. In my local shop today and saw plenty of small pistol match grade, small and large rifle. Bought a few of the Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle primers to place the CCI ones I used last 6 months. 170/1000 I have no idea on how good these primers are, will have to try a few out sometime. Interesting to note that the box says made in USA however these were shipped from South Africa to OZ by OSA. I assume that they could not buy
direct from the USA and found a large qty available in SA

The owners of OSA also own a business in Sth Africa and are the agent for Remington in that country. - simple as that

Ok makes sense then, cheers for that

The good news is that there are primers on the shelves.......for now. Be interesting to see if this is the start of normalisation or just a temporary blip
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Obie73 » 23 May 2023, 10:54 pm

After hearing rumours that primers are appearing back on the shelves again, I went to look at reloading equipment this week at a gun shop and after making sure that they have all the things in stock that I would need for reloading .357 mag (for a rifle), I assumed this included primers and decided to buy a press and all the other gear and components. I let them know I was new to reloading and needed to buy all equipment and components. After slowly going around the shop getting all the equipment together that I needed with much discussion with the sales assistant, and almost getting to the point of sale, I was then told (when they went out the back of the store to check) that no primers are actually available for reloading .357 mag. And furthermore there won't be any available, they said, until about maybe three years from now. Needless to say I didn't buy the press and the other gear. What a big waste of time that was.

Would be good business sense for the staff to say at the outset: "Do you have primers? Because we don't"

If I'm new to reloading why would I already have primers? I don't get it. I'm not sure I will go back to that shop.
Last edited by Obie73 on 23 May 2023, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 23 May 2023, 11:07 pm

Don't just try one shop if your near Brisbane I can point you towards several that have small pistol primers
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Obie73 » 23 May 2023, 11:25 pm

Thanks deye243, that would be great to know. Yes anywhere in or near Brisbane, or north as far as Gympie would be good.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Obie73 » 23 May 2023, 11:41 pm

Is it small pistol primers or small magnum pistol primers?
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading ammunition