Good News on Primers

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Good News on Primers

Post by wanneroo » 24 May 2023, 12:11 am

I don't think it will be 3 years. Here in the USA they are still trying to hold prices high but there are supplies of Winchester, CCI, Federal, Remington, Magtech, Argentina, Unis Ginex(Bosnia) and Fiocchi. You may not always be able to get the brand you want immediately but stocks are gradually building up on shelves from all these different brands.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 24 May 2023, 12:22 am

Obie73 wrote:Is it small pistol primers or small magnum pistol primers?

Looking for magnum pistol primers might be a bit of a stretch but you will only need those if you are loading 2207 or 2205.

Ihave spoken to several shooters who have used these no problems only people having problems those with striker fire pistols with Light weight Springs.

On second thoughts I will pm you the link
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Obie73 » 24 May 2023, 7:44 am

I will be using 2207 as it's the only one I can get at the moment. But I will ask around and see if I can get some pistol powder. Will send you a PM.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 24 May 2023, 12:12 pm

Obie73 wrote:I will be using 2207 as it's the only one I can get at the moment. But I will ask around and see if I can get some pistol powder. Will send you a PM.

Replied found you some powder up in qld to perfect for what you want as well
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 24 May 2023, 11:23 pm

Primers are becoming readily available here in the SW of WA
Southwest Firearms and Gunsmiths in Busselton has small rifle cci 400, and has a large shipment of large rifle primers coming in the next 2 weeks.
Hit Courtney up.
FYi - no affilitation with them, just my local go to gun shop.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Obie73 » 25 May 2023, 3:04 pm

I'm finding this whole primer thing a bit confusing, being new to reloading. I want to load mild to moderate .357 mag rounds to use in a rifle, for target shooting out to about 100m. Talking to gun shop proprietors doesn't necessarily clear things up as it appears to be the case that there's some overlap of what works. Some say use small pistol, others say magnum pistol. Yet another source says use small rifle.

Is it the case that you can get by with small pistol or small rifle primers, for .357 mag, but only if you use pistol powders (which occasionally can be found for sale in Australia if you search around)? Or must it be small pistol magnum? But only if you use slower powders? I'm a bit exhausted trying to figure all this out. Any helpful advice appreciated.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 25 May 2023, 3:49 pm

Obie73 wrote:I'm finding this whole primer thing a bit confusing, being new to reloading. I want to load mild to moderate .357 mag rounds to use in a rifle, for target shooting out to about 100m. Talking to gun shop proprietors doesn't necessarily clear things up as it appears to be the case that there's some overlap of what works. Some say use small pistol, others say magnum pistol. Yet another source says use small rifle.

Is it the case that you can get by with small pistol or small rifle primers, for .357 mag, but only if you use pistol powders (which occasionally can be found for sale in Australia if you search around)? Or must it be small pistol magnum? But only if you use slower powders? I'm a bit exhausted trying to figure all this out. Any helpful advice appreciated.

Just sent u a pm
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Obie73 » 27 May 2023, 10:34 pm

I've got the primer situation completely sorted out now. Been speaking with a couple of guys up this way and have now gotten hold of everything I need to start reloading 357. Just got to sit down with the Nick Harvey book and maybe the Hornady book and do a bit of reading.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition