Outer Edge bullets

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Outer Edge bullets

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 3:40 pm

Just wanted to thank Projectile Warehouse. I've been wanting to try some of Outer Edge's copper bullets for a while and finally thought of an excuse, so I ordered some. Unfortunately they can't get that bullet just now so they offered me a different, more expensive, bullet at the same price, which was very good of them. As they're for deer I'm stuck with 7mm, in the smaller calibres I doubt I can justify the cost of these for shooting paper, steel, and foxes, and I already have a lifetime supply of bullets for all of those. As we have to use 130gn or higher, it becomes an issue of finding a copper/brass bullet with sufficient weight, while still being short enough to stabilise in standard twist rates.

I'll try them on paper and if they shoot well I'll try them on a few mediums that are handy (probably water, clay, wet paper, and pine boards) before taking them into the bush. If I do like the design I'm thinking they might be a good choice for my 8x57mm sporterised Turk Mauser.

Any of you blokes already using Outer Edge on live targets?
Last edited by bladeracer on 14 Dec 2022, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Outer Edge bullets

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2022, 3:47 pm

"my 8x57mm sporterised Turk Mauser."

Bumped into a bloke about a month ago. His FIL shot a couple with one of them.
The numbers say it should be fine.
150gr doing 2700fps.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 3:51 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"my 8x57mm sporterised Turk Mauser."

150gr doing 2700fps.

Oh yeah, I have zero doubt that the 8x57mm is up to the task :-)
Particularly as the rifle is unscoped so would be only for close-range.

I'm more interested in other opinions of the Outer Edge copper bullet, does it perform as well as others that are better known, like Barnes, Swift and Cutting Edge Bullets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 13 Dec 2022, 3:58 pm

My local has quite a few of these I'm up in East Gippsland a few of the deer hunting crews use them what were you after
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 13 Dec 2022, 4:09 pm

I doubt the bullet is pure copper as that would be too soft hard to machine and foul more . It would be gilding metal a type of brass that the make jackets out of or something close to it . No matter what anyone says they will wear the throat quicker than softer constructed bullets but in a stalking rifle not firing many rounds per year it won't matter . Being CNC turned they should have a high BC and shoot well as long as the twist rate is adequate . I just looked at their ,243 81 grain bullet and it needs 1 in 8 twist ! My 81 grain .243 bullet only needs 1 in 10 to 800 meters . What is the twist rate in the 8 x 57 ? Have you checked the bore diameter ?
This is sales BS :- " The Outer Edge range of target projectiles are transonically tuned (stable through the transonic zone) "
Even a perfectly balanced bullet if it is not spun enough will be unstable especially through the transonic zone .
No bullet construction method can negate the effects of an inadequate twist rate . They appear to be moly coated , maybe not , but they sure look like it .
Last edited by JohnV on 13 Dec 2022, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2022, 4:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:"my 8x57mm sporterised Turk Mauser."

150gr doing 2700fps.

Oh yeah, I have zero doubt that the 8x57mm is up to the task :-)
Particularly as the rifle is unscoped so would be only for close-range.

I'm more interested in other opinions of the Outer Edge copper bullet, does it perform as well as others that are better known, like Barnes, Swift and Cutting Edge Bullets.

All it would need is a reliable 4x40 scope.
Personally I think a heavy bullet moving slow beats a light one moving fast. But I'm sure plenty will disagree.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 13 Dec 2022, 4:49 pm

Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 5:04 pm

JohnV wrote:I doubt the bullet is copper as that would be too soft and foul more . It would be gilding metal a type of brass that the make jackets out of or something close to it . No matter what anyone says they will wear the throat quicker than softer constructed bullets but in a stalking rifle not firing many rounds per year it won't matter . They should have a high BC and shoot well .
This is sales BS :- " The Outer Edge range of target projectiles are transonically tuned (stable through the transonic zone) "
Even a perfectly balanced bullet if it is not spun enough will be unstable especially through the transonic zone .
No bullet construction method can negate the effects of an inadequate twist rate .

They're copper, copper bullets have been around many years now and work very well. Brass is easier to work with, and cheaper.

When you say they _will_ wear the throat quicker what information do you have that supports that view? If the barrel lasts say 5000rds with jacketed bullets do you figure monolithic copper bullets will wear it out in 4900rds or 2500rds?

I didn't read the advertising, lots of conventional bullets also transition just fine so I wouldn't consider that a real selling point, perhaps it was an issue years ago?

BC's can be good, if you use the lightest conventional bullets, but with conventional bullets you can push the mass way up to improve BC significantly, without going to custom barrels. Copper/brass bullets do have good drag factors but lack the staying power of heavier bullets. I machined brass copies of the 162gn ELDM, identical shape and size, but they weigh 149gn. I shot them at 100m alongside the genuine ELDM's at similar velocities and the accuracy was equal, but I would not expect the trajectory to be the same at much longer distances than that. The .224" 57gn OE for example has BC of .297, the 62gn Sierra Gameking soft-point has .298. The advantage, if any, should be in the precision of machining over swaging. But for long-range use copper/brass bullets lack mass so I doubt BC is a legitimate issue - for shooting a long way use heavier high-BC bullets is my opinion.

I think the cost of the bullets is what would restrict the number that most people fire, but there are possibly fox shooters around that use these, I'd be interested to discuss it with those guys. When they told me they couldn't get the 7mm I did look at the .224", .243" and .264" bullets to see if there was anything I might want to play with, but I have tens of thousands of conventional bullets for these already.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 5:07 pm

deye243 wrote:My local has quite a few of these I'm up in East Gippsland a few of the deer hunting crews use them what were you after

I'm in Central Gippsland. I'm sure accuracy isn't an issue with them, I'm more interested in how effective they are compared to conventional designs. I've been wanting to switch to copper/brass bullets for a while as I like the more controlled deformation they tend to have.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 5:15 pm

Lazarus wrote:https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=outer-edge-the-new-age-of-copper-projectiles

That's interesting as I didn't think pure metals could be tempered.

"OEP bullets are different in a number of ways. For starters they’re made from pure copper, a metal traditionally regarded as too soft and light for standalone bullet production except as an alloy. That’s no longer the case. The copper used to make OEP bullets is pre-tempered to ensure the finished product will consistently meet specific performance criteria. The temper of the metal is not changed by the manufacturing process."
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 5:21 pm

Oldbloke wrote:All it would need is a reliable 4x40 scope.
Personally I think a heavy bullet moving slow beats a light one moving fast. But I'm sure plenty will disagree.

Yep, but it's not drilled.
I'm not against having it drilled and tapped as it's already been shortened and had a new front sight fitted, but I'd prefer not to as it's the compactness and lack of weight that makes it inviting to take out.

True, but I don't want or need to push the bullet hard for close-range work, and it's still 180gn despite being all copper. Even a 2000fps launch keeps it above its 1600fps design terminal out to 200m, way beyond what I'd be taking with open sights.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 13 Dec 2022, 5:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=outer-edge-the-new-age-of-copper-projectiles

"OEP bullets are different in a number of ways. For starters they’re made from pure copper, a metal traditionally regarded as too soft and light for standalone bullet production except as an alloy. That’s no longer the case. The copper used to make OEP bullets is pre-tempered to ensure the finished product will consistently meet specific performance criteria. The temper of the metal is not changed by the manufacturing process."

Your right pure copper can not be tempered in the traditional sense . It has to be worked to harden it and then heat softens it .
It has to be a copper alloy to harden it slightly . It's more BS . The big problem is copper build up on the cutting inserts which can case breakage and overheating . Now if they have solved that then pure copper could be machined better .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 5:42 pm

JohnV wrote:I just looked at their ,243 81 grain bullet and it needs 1 in 8 twist ! My 81 grain .243 bullet only needs 1 in 10 to 800 meters . What is the twist rate in the 8 x 57 ? Have you checked the bore diameter ?

Yes, that is the issue with using lighter materials than lead, to get equal mass you need to go to extreme lengths, requiring custom twist rates. I'm shooting 162gn and 175gn conventional bullets in my 7mm-08, OE only offers 7mm bullets from 120gn to 132gn as any longer is into custom territory. Same reason they only offer .224" bullets up to 57gn when I'm shooting 80gn and 85gn conventional bullets.

Haven't measured the twist rate but as far as I know it should be the standard 9.5" twist of all the 8x57mm Mausers of that era - it's a 1903/38. It shoots the 180gn Nosler BT very well. I think it's like the .30-cals, it should shoot pretty much any bullet that I could ever find or make for it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 13 Dec 2022, 5:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JohnV wrote:I just looked at their ,243 81 grain bullet and it needs 1 in 8 twist ! My 81 grain .243 bullet only needs 1 in 10 to 800 meters . What is the twist rate in the 8 x 57 ? Have you checked the bore diameter ?

Yes, that is the issue with using lighter materials than lead, to get equal mass you need to go to extreme lengths, requiring custom twist rates. I'm shooting 162gn and 175gn conventional bullets in my 7mm-08, OE only offers 7mm bullets from 120gn to 132gn as any longer is into custom territory. Same reason they only offer .224" bullets up to 57gn when I'm shooting 80gn and 85gn conventional bullets.

Haven't measured the twist rate but as far as I know it should be the standard 9.5" twist of all the 8x57mm Mausers of that era - it's a 1903/38. It shoots the 180gn Nosler BT very well. I think it's like the .30-cals, it should shoot pretty much any bullet that I could ever find or make for it.

9.5 twist rate would be fine . Some older 8 x 57 Mausers had smaller bores and it's not clear about the Turkish models .
1903 /38 ( 03 /38 ) many were converted from 7.65 mm to 7.92 mm. I would check the twist rate just to be sure as the 7.65mm x 53mm had a 1 in 11 twist .
My point about the transonic zone is that Outer Edge are claiming that their bullets are " specially tuned " to go through the transonic zone and that is BS .
Quoted BC's are highly subjective . No single BC describes a full trajectory . In calculations there is a separate BC for numerous velocity points along a trajectory and the number changes . That is why some like Sierra quote 3 BC's taken at certain points along the trajectory. This results in a better solution . Some just look at the list of BC's and pick the biggest number because that sells bullets and some do an average of all the BC's in the list . So you can see that a slight quoted difference of say .002 G1 BC between two bullets could be totally wrong one way or the other and there is enough room in the various ways to argue all day about which way is right and which way produces the best solution .
Shooting the bullet will always be a good test and get the near and far velocities and then calculate the BC .
You can also calculate a BC from precise bullet specs and it's fairly accurate but the process is difficult but it can't allow for rifling damage , base damage , bullet pointing up in flight , cannula disturbance , meplat damage . etc. Whereas shooting it numerous times and averaging results takes more into account .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Lazarus » 13 Dec 2022, 7:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I could be wrong but as I know it "tempering" is a thermal process to relieve some of the stresses introduced during forging and manufacturing.

When I harden a knife or tool, it has all manner of stress particularly from hardening, letting it sit at 200° for 2hrs, cool and repeat will he it go from brittle hard to tough hard.
I didn't think they'd bother with projectiles but perhaps it's a terminal performance thing :unknown:

Perhaps someone with more than my rudimentary understanding could clarify for both of us.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 8:07 pm

JohnV wrote:9.5 twist rate would be fine . Some older 8 x 57 Mausers had smaller bores and it's not clear about the Turkish models .
1903 /38 ( 03 /38 ) many were converted from 7.65 mm to 7.92 mm. I would check the twist rate just to be sure as the 7.65mm x 53mm had a 1 in 11 twist .
My point about the transonic zone is that Outer Edge are claiming that their bullets are " specially tuned " to go through the transonic zone and that is BS .
Quoted BC's are highly subjective . No single BC describes a full trajectory . In calculations there is a separate BC for numerous velocity points along a trajectory and the number changes . That is why some like Sierra quote 3 BC's taken at certain points along the trajectory. This results in a better solution . Some just look at the list of BC's and pick the biggest number because that sells bullets and some do an average of all the BC's in the list . So you can see that a slight quoted difference of say .002 G1 BC between two bullets could be totally wrong one way or the other and there is enough room in the various ways to argue all day about which way is right and which way produces the best solution .
Shooting the bullet will always be a good test and get the near and far velocities and then calculate the BC .
You can also calculate a BC from precise bullet specs and it's fairly accurate but the process is difficult but it can't allow for rifling damage , base damage , bullet pointing up in flight , cannula disturbance , meplat damage . etc. Whereas shooting it numerous times and averaging results takes more into account .

I never got into BC's when I was a kid, but later on there was at least a perception that bullets did become unstable through transition, that's what I meant about them perhaps using that as a selling point back in the day, but unless they have some good test data to show that their bullets really do transition better than everybody else's they probably need to stop saying it :-) I'd even be happy to see some data showing how their 155gn .308's stack up against higher-BC conventional bullets in 10"-twist barrels at 1000m. Even if they have better accuracy, they're likely to be upset by the wind drift of the lighter, lower-BC copper design anyway. I've ordered enough of them to test them at longer ranges as well, but they're a hunting bullet so I don't plan to use them any further than maybe 300m max.

You are right, I really should measure my twist rate, but until I decide to use bullets in the 250gn range or higher I doubt it'll matter at all. 11"-twist 8mm should stabilise bullets up to around 1.700" - I don't know of any .323" bullets even close to that length.

Agreed about the varying BC as velocity drops, and that your best data comes from the actual rifle in the field.
Last edited by bladeracer on 13 Dec 2022, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Dec 2022, 8:10 pm

Lazarus wrote:I could be wrong but as I know it "tempering" is a thermal process to relieve some of the stresses introduced during forging and manufacturing.

When I harden a knife or tool, it has all manner of stress particularly from hardening, letting it sit at 200° for 2hrs, cool and repeat will he it go from brittle hard to tough hard.
I didn't think they'd bother with projectiles but perhaps it's a terminal performance thing :unknown:

Perhaps someone with more than my rudimentary understanding could clarify for both of us.

Yep, but you are using alloys, not pure iron or copper. My (rudimentary) understanding is that to see any benefit from tempering it has to be an alloy, the tempering has an effect in better aligning the molecules of the differing metals. I don't think it does anything at all when all the molecules are all a single metal.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2022, 10:27 pm

Tempering and annealing are very similar.

https://www.twi-global.com/technical-kn ... -tempering

As they are copper or an alloy of copper I'd suggest the use of the word tempering is just a marketing ploy.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 14 Dec 2022, 7:31 am

One glaring issue with any monolithic used at long range is their lack of reliable expansion on game like deer and pigs where they pencil through like a military FMJ. Up close at 250 yards or less we use them exclusively for thermal night hunting where they punch above their weight rarely requiring a follow up shot. In daylight you cannot go past the old Amax or current ELDM or X for reliable kills at extended ranges. Another thing we have found is using their BC numbers, ballistic apps and monolithics don't always marry up at those far out ranges.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 14 Dec 2022, 9:26 am

bladeracer wrote:
Lazarus wrote:I could be wrong but as I know it "tempering" is a thermal process to relieve some of the stresses introduced during forging and manufacturing.

Yep, but you are using alloys, not pure iron or copper. My (rudimentary) understanding is that to see any benefit from tempering it has to be an alloy, the tempering has an effect in better aligning the molecules of the differing metals. I don't think it does anything at all when all the molecules are all a single metal.

Aha, you may well be right there then Blade.

I'll have to do some reading, I jate not knowing stuff.

To the Bookmobile
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 14 Dec 2022, 9:54 am

Not this brand, but solid copper.

Holy BLOOMIN' Bullet! The 9mm INTERCEPTOR - …: https://youtu.be/6bL4hnJZEtI
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2022, 12:15 pm

Wyliecoyote wrote:One glaring issue with any monolithic used at long range is their lack of reliable expansion on game like deer and pigs where they pencil through like a military FMJ. Up close at 250 yards or less we use them exclusively for thermal night hunting where they punch above their weight rarely requiring a follow up shot. In daylight you cannot go past the old Amax or current ELDM or X for reliable kills at extended ranges. Another thing we have found is using their BC numbers, ballistic apps and monolithics don't always marry up at those far out ranges.

I know the FMJ-like performance was an issue years ago, but is it still an issue? I've seen an awful lot of excellent reports on modern copper bullets, their reliable deformation is why I want to try them out. The ELD's are good, and I have thousands of them in all calibres, but I really want to try copper bullets :-) I have Barnes TSX/TTSX bullets but a locally manufactured bullet does appeal more.

Yes, we discussed above the varying BC due to distances. Practice at varying distances in different environments and assemble your own data on whichever bullet you are using, published BC's will only get you into the ballpark
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wyliecoyote » 14 Dec 2022, 3:15 pm

There is conjecture amongst the yanks about what speed Barnes and other copper bullets start to pencil on through on deer sized game. Some say below 2400 fps, others below 2000 fps. ELDXs are said to be good for 1600 fps. There is no doubt the wound chanel and exit hole does get smaller the further out you get. You hit a solid bone that changes as it should. I absolutely swear by them (TSXs} for thermal night shooting at shorter ranges. At long range i steer clear.
Here in lies the problem with copper. In its pure form it does neither age or precipitation harden and is why most are made of pure copper. Contrary to claims made, anytime you form, bend, impact by striking or vibration or machine copper, it hardens. Tempering of pure copper does not exist exactly as you said as it is not alloyed and is not in a hard brittle state that requires it to be toughened. That is what tempering is, taking a heat treated brittle alloy like EN36 and heating to a certain temp for a certain time and slowly cooling to make it tougher. I make many chamber reamers and do exactly this to prevent them chipping or fracturing. To change coppers hardness it can only be done by annealing, or working. There is no other way. So a bullet maker will ask for copper at a certain state' like quarter hard or half hard in order to make it machine cleanly and not tear or feather if it is too soft. A bullet jacket maker will ask the same but will use annealing processes along the way. Upon completion its state of hardness has altered and hopefully it's still soft enough to deform on impact, and hard enough to not deform or slump during acceleration and spin up in the bore. Whether the likes of Barnes or others making monolithic bullets anneal at any time is unknown to me but i do know a number of custom bullet makers in the US certainly do like Randy Robinett of BIB bullets.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2022, 3:48 pm

Wyliecoyote wrote:There is conjecture amongst the yanks about what speed Barnes and other copper bullets start to pencil on through on deer sized game. Some say below 2400 fps, others below 2000 fps. ELDXs are said to be good for 1600 fps. There is no doubt the wound chanel and exit hole does get smaller the further out you get. You hit a solid bone that changes as it should. I absolutely swear by them (TSXs} for thermal night shooting at shorter ranges. At long range i steer clear.
Here in lies the problem with copper. In its pure form it does neither age or precipitation harden and is why most are made of pure copper. Contrary to claims made, anytime you form, bend, impact by striking or vibration or machine copper, it hardens. Tempering of pure copper does not exist exactly as you said as it is not alloyed and is not in a hard brittle state that requires it to be toughened. That is what tempering is, taking a heat treated brittle alloy like EN36 and heating to a certain temp for a certain time and slowly cooling to make it tougher. I make many chamber reamers and do exactly this to prevent them chipping or fracturing. To change coppers hardness it can only be done by annealing, or working. There is no other way. So a bullet maker will ask for copper at a certain state' like quarter hard or half hard in order to make it machine cleanly and not tear or feather if it is too soft. A bullet jacket maker will ask the same but will use annealing processes along the way. Upon completion its state of hardness has altered and hopefully it's still soft enough to deform on impact, and hard enough to not deform or slump during acceleration and spin up in the bore. Whether the likes of Barnes or others making monolithic bullets anneal at any time is unknown to me but i do know a number of custom bullet makers in the US certainly do like Randy Robinett of BIB bullets.

Thank for this. This is the expected situation with most conventional rifle bullets, they have a sweet spot in velocity, and thus range. Close shots they can tend to explode, and really far away they can drill holes. I can load bullets to replicate different terminal velocities for testing. What I've found in mediums other than flesh is that their reported 1600fps-ish (a common terminal velocity for many rifle bullets) tends to be on the low side, recovering jacketed rifle bullets that have impacted below about 1700fps from various things seems to see very little deformation at all. I tend to consider any shot that is going to drop below that to be an "FMJ" and aim accordingly.

Had a look at BIB and they appear to all be swaged jacketed bullets, no monolithic copper.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 14 Dec 2022, 6:00 pm

Very fine meplats on monolithic bullets can sometimes deflect off course in the wound channel due to no expansion and the ogive bending .
There is an advantage in using solder type core bonded bullets and that is after the core is bonded and then seated you have the whole of the core as it is now bonded but when you point form the bullet , core material flows forward to fill the ogive and that section of the core is NOT bonded . Combined with a generous open meplat this gives reliable expansion at low velocities and the solid body of the core holds together at higher velocities and punches deeper even if the ogive peels way back and looses a lot of it's weight . The solder bonded bullet behave in the wound channel very much like a Nosler Partition did . This does not happen with chemical bonding which bonds the whole core tip to base .
I think Woodleigh still use solder bonding but don't quote me on it .
The draw back is solder bonding reduces the accuracy slightly but not an issue for average ranges at bigger game .
Last edited by JohnV on 14 Dec 2022, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2022, 6:06 pm

JohnV wrote:Very fine meplats on monolithic bullets can sometimes deflect off course in the wound channel due to no expansion and the ogive bending .

That does appear to be a target bullet though. I have recovered 160gn .264" Hornady RN's from rubber and dirt that are very curved, think I've posted pics of them before.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 15 Dec 2022, 6:12 am

The Outer Edge projectiles with the ball in the meplat is a very old outdated concept that does nothing .
Also two identical bullets also same weight except one has a ball in the meplat and the other an open meplat both meplats the same external size but the ball bullet is quoted with a substantially higher BC . BS. The drag coefficients and ballistics would be so close that it would be hard to tell one from the other BC wise without Doppler radar and even then they could look the same . There is no place in even a six degrees of freedom calculator to enter anything other than meplat diameter and both bullets would be described the same something like Laminar , Laminar ( air flow over the bullet ) . Although the boat tails are so minute that they may even act like a flat base . Laminar -Turbulent but both the same . All other specs would be the same .
As long as both are fired at same starting velocity .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Larry » 15 Dec 2022, 7:03 am

I used them in the 243 with 2 sample size packets of different weights they shot like crap. The manufacture sent loading details with them and the load was super hot, The accuracy was just not there.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Dec 2022, 7:44 am

"This is the expected situation with most conventional rifle bullets, they have a sweet spot in velocity, and thus range. Close shots they can tend to explode, and really far away they can drill holes. "

Yep, and when you pull the trigger does it hit,
No bone
Thin bone
Or thick bone.
Is it doing 1700fps or 2700fps..
All variables, and the first three are hit and miss.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 15 Dec 2022, 7:54 am

Larry wrote:I used them in the 243 with 2 sample size packets of different weights they shot like crap. The manufacture sent loading details with them and the load was super hot, The accuracy was just not there.

Yes I saw that in their loading data that the max loads are pretty hot . I would advise everyone to use ADI data and start low as monolithic bullets can raise pressures . They should shoot ok but one of the problems with some long ogive bullets with boat tails is they can suffer from in bore yaw due to a short bearing area and twist rate is an issue . That's when the bullet goes slightly sideways into the throat . There is no real ballistic or accuracy advantage using boat tails above the speed of sound . For most hunters that usually means well over the average hunting ranges anyway . Always remember that the 1000 yard World record was broken using flat based bullets . There is some inaccuracies in Outer Edge Bullets advertising to .
To be fair guns and shooters are variable and they might shoot well in some other gun . Your barrel twist rate might have been a bit slow and I reckon their recommended twist rate is the bare minimum twist . I did some calculations on one of their bullets and the 11 twist recommended went marginal in stability over 600 meters .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition