The cost has gone up for components and ammunition

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

The cost has gone up for components and ammunition

Post by wrenchman » 16 Jan 2023, 4:49 am

I have not bought bullets in a couple years I was well stocked and while buying I got a box of 357 and all I can say is man prices have gone up
Attachments
FB_IMG_1673808204431.jpg
FB_IMG_1673808204431.jpg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: The cost has gone up for components and ammunition

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2023, 6:48 am

Yep, I don't see it ever going back to pre-covid now.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2023, 7:56 am

bladeracer wrote:Yep, I don't see it ever going back to pre-covid now.

Na, market forces will bring them back a long way. Perhaps not as far back as we would like. But it will take a couple of years I think.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 16 Jan 2023, 11:40 am

I’ve seen Wano black powder at $180/kg recently. Given the relatively low volume of it sold in Australia I can’t that price dropping.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jan 2023, 12:02 pm

Powder seems to be coming back. Hodgdon says powder availability will normalize this year. Also seeing more primers as well and even a lot of bullets on sale.

Also I think inflation and interest rates are tapping people out and I'm seeing stuff in general sit on shelves. Guns seem to be on sale as well.

I expect that within a few years there will be a glut on the market with reasonable prices. Maybe even sooner.

Once supply improves and there is an excess on the market, prepare yourself for the next time. I learned my lesson before and this past 3 years hasn't impacted me one bit.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jan 2023, 2:34 pm

wanneroo wrote:Powder seems to be coming back. Hodgdon says powder availability will normalize this year. Also seeing more primers as well and even a lot of bullets on sale.

Also I think inflation and interest rates are tapping people out and I'm seeing stuff in general sit on shelves. Guns seem to be on sale as well.

I expect that within a few years there will be a glut on the market with reasonable prices. Maybe even sooner.

Once supply improves and there is an excess on the market, prepare yourself for the next time. I learned my lesson before and this past 3 years hasn't impacted me one bit.

I have been mostly unimpacted. I got caught when I ordered two cases of .22LR a few weeks before TNT pulled the pin. Rebel's was waiting on the stock to come in and when it finally did they could no longer ship it to me. I also couldn't get it locally so that was a pain. I had to buy cases of other stuff and do a trip up to Melbourne to collect it. It didn't really disrupt my shooting much, I just had to use ammo I didn't prefer - more expensive and less accurate. It would've been nice to have had another bottle of Trailboss on hand before everything stopped but I think I still have enough to see me out as I've been switching a lot of my reduced loads over to AR2206H to conserve the TB. I've still been buying primers throughout mainly just to spend something whenever I go into a shop.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2023, 2:47 pm

wanneroo wrote:Powder seems to be coming back. Hodgdon says powder availability will normalize this year. Also seeing more primers as well and even a lot of bullets on sale.

I agree market forces will kick in and prices will drop. Not sure about a glut here tho.

I was lucky. Before i retired i started stocking up if stuff was cheap. That was just before it hit. So no impact here.
I always grab a bargin if I think I will use it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 16 Jan 2023, 3:44 pm

wrenchman wrote:I have not bought bullets in a couple years I was well stocked and while buying I got a box of 357 and all I can say is man prices have gone up

You are correct and I'm absolutely in no hurry to try these .
Screenshot_20230116-164313_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230116-164313_Gallery.jpg (369.38 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 17 Jan 2023, 2:51 am

bladeracer wrote:
I have been mostly unimpacted. I got caught when I ordered two cases of .22LR a few weeks before TNT pulled the pin. Rebel's was waiting on the stock to come in and when it finally did they could no longer ship it to me. I also couldn't get it locally so that was a pain. I had to buy cases of other stuff and do a trip up to Melbourne to collect it. It didn't really disrupt my shooting much, I just had to use ammo I didn't prefer - more expensive and less accurate. It would've been nice to have had another bottle of Trailboss on hand before everything stopped but I think I still have enough to see me out as I've been switching a lot of my reduced loads over to AR2206H to conserve the TB. I've still been buying primers throughout mainly just to spend something whenever I go into a shop.

I'm seeing a lot more primers now filtering in online, Winchester, CCI, Ginex, Servicios Argentina, etc. but not seeing as many in stores yet. Prices are still very high between $80-$110 for a thousand. Even though I have plenty, if I see some, I buy a few, just to keep my stocks up, so if they are available, it's not a bad idea to get some because you never know what's next, massive cyberattack, global war, another pandemic, who knows.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 17 Jan 2023, 3:00 am

Oldbloke wrote:I agree market forces will kick in and prices will drop. Not sure about a glut here tho.

I was lucky. Before i retired i started stocking up if stuff was cheap. That was just before it hit. So no impact here.
I always grab a bargin if I think I will use it.

Usually summer time here in six months will be a good indicator. Gun stores are dead in June and if things are really slow and there is plenty of product, it will become obvious, so we will see.

When price is cheap, always stack deep.

My approach after the 2013 shortage was when prices are cheap, buy enough to sustain myself for five years, learn to reload and have plenty of components, enough to load every case I have at least once.

That worked and the stress test of the past 3 years has proved I did well. I still have enough to load ammo for years and it's gonna take me a while to shoot all this ammo I have.

The other thing I do is watch all the sales and when bullets are on sale in bulk for a near wholesale price, I buy big.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 17 Jan 2023, 10:23 am

deye243 that is plain scary
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 17 Jan 2023, 12:18 pm

wrenchman wrote:deye243 that is plain scary

Yes figured I would try these individually packed and pampered Atips just for the hell of it even though I get extremely good accuracy out of a couple of the eld-m and all of the Berger vld and hybrids that I have tried but at that price and in a 135 graina I figured no definitely not not even if I was a full-on competition shooter .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jan 2023, 12:52 pm

deye243 wrote:
wrenchman wrote:deye243 that is plain scary

Yes figured I would try these individually packed and pampered Atips just for the hell of it even though I get extremely good accuracy out of a couple of the eld-m and all of the Berger vld and hybrids that I have tried but at that price and in a 135 graina I figured no definitely not not even if I was a full-on competition shooter .

I'm looking to move to copper bullets, which are even more expensive than those, but only for deer. Even with load development and checking zero every time I go out I doubt I would ever go through fifty of those a year so the $2+ price tag adds up to nothing. But I could never pull the trigger on a $2 bullet with a fox, rabbit or pig in my sights :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition