How hot does it get where your powder & primers are stored?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Post by Jackaroo » 26 Jan 2023, 10:00 am

Its Oz and its bloody hot in Summer, with things locked up for extended times temps can really rise.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: How hot does it get where your powder & primers are stor

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Jan 2023, 10:24 am

That's something I worry about every summer but still after 20+ years haven't bothered to do anything about it.

I hold a large quantity of mixed ammo, powder, primers and loaded ammo such as .22lr centrefire rifle and shotgun, most of it lives in a tin shed and is stored against the northern exposed wall, the temperature extremes range from +5°c to the occasional +50°c ( perhaps much more) when the doors are closed on a hot day.
Despite being far from the perfect storage conditions, I'm yet to notice any degradation in performance in any of it.

One day I'll dig that cellar :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2023, 11:03 am

Jackaroo wrote:How hot does it get where your powder & primers are stored?
Its Oz and its bloody hot in Summer, with things locked up for extended times temps can really rise.

In my office at the height of summer it gets pretty hot, but is still generally more tolerable than standing outside in the heat, so probably 10C cooler than outside "in the shade" temps. Floor, walls and ceiling are all insulated with batts and for a few days each year I would run a fan when it's really hot. Inside the cupboards and safes where there's no real air movement it's significantly cooler. Likewise in the winter for a few days I would run an electric heater under my desk to keep my feet warm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 05 Feb 2023, 6:42 pm

It regularly gets to 48deg C in the shed in summer and -4deg C in the winter.
I keep all my powder, primers and ammo in several old upright freezers. These at like big eskies and help to keep the temp variations down. Average temp range is 13-21Deg C in the fridges over the year.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 03 Mar 2023, 8:25 pm

39 degrees in the carport 2 weeks ago.... I keep all my powder, primers and ammo in old fridges in the shed. Worked well for the last 20 years.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 04 Mar 2023, 8:45 pm

used to live in the hot north and attempted to mitigate the effects of heat on components but only ever got as far as 1.can I afford to air con that room permanently. 2 no. so I never got around to it and just forgot about it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition