Cost of powder

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cost of powder

Post by 6878mm » 27 Feb 2023, 11:18 am

Does anybody have an idea of how much would be a fair price to pay for powder
I havebeen offered a 2kg container of AS50, unopened
I have seen this stuff up to $1200,
I know that shotgun powder is non existant, I just want to know a fair price
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Cost of powder

Post by animalpest » 27 Feb 2023, 11:50 am

Cost is what your willing to pay
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Billo » 27 Feb 2023, 12:12 pm

Yeap unfortunately we are in a sellers market

I moved on 3 bottle of pistol powder last year doubled my money.

I think those that triple and quadruple are entitled to feel a little guilty but it is what it is.

Now who wants to sell me some cheap LR primers .....
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Feb 2023, 12:27 pm

The common rip-off price for pistol/shotgun powder is $400/kg, some muppets are gouging for more than that and a (very) few more ethical people are selling for around $140/kg. I recently bought a 2kg bottle of AP70 for $220 and a couple of singles of AS30N for $90 each. I won't pay the going rate of $200/500g bottle as it only encourages the swine and I can find cheap factory ammo at a price that almost negates the time and cost of reloading at those component prices.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 6878mm » 27 Feb 2023, 1:23 pm

Yes I kind of realise allof this
It seems I have 2 options, take it or leave it
$1000 was the asking price, it is about the going rate
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 27 Feb 2023, 3:03 pm

It's not just powder, it's everything.

I was reading this morning that it's companies price gouging that is behind the inflation spike not wage growth like the gummint and companies like to pretend it is.

Pretty much a no brainer, I know, nobody's wages are rising except top execs, but the jump in profits has been obscene, particularly with banks and the 2 big supermarket chains.

Due to oligopolies in both, there is no longer a supply/demand influence on prices, they decide how much they can gouge and we have to suck on it.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2023, 4:12 pm

Lazarus wrote:It's not just powder, it's everything.

I was reading this morning that it's companies price gouging that is behind the inflation spike not wage growth like the gummint and companies like to pretend it is.

Pretty much a no brainer, I know, nobody's wages are rising except top execs, but the jump in profits has been obscene, particularly with banks and the 2 big supermarket chains.

Due to oligopolies in both, there is no longer a supply/demand influence on prices, they decide how much they can gouge and we have to suck on it.

Nothing new there. Been happening for 20 years.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bravs » 27 Feb 2023, 6:32 pm

Where are you located? My old man has some for sale.

6878mm wrote:Does anybody have an idea of how much would be a fair price to pay for powder
I havebeen offered a 2kg container of AS50, unopened
I have seen this stuff up to $1200,
I know that shotgun powder is non existant, I just want to know a fair price
Bravs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 27 Feb 2023, 7:41 pm

Seeing the price of vectan I would say a fair price for the as50 would be somewhere between 400 and $500
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 27 Feb 2023, 10:15 pm

The worst side of capitalism, when something is hard to find it's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.

However, shotshell currently cost about $120 per slab of 250, each shell will contain about 20 grains (probably more) of fast powder which will be similar to AS50.
So, your $120 will get you 5,000 grains which is about 330g. That's $360 per kg if you're willing to spend the time cutting them open.

Anyone paying more than that is either seriously in need of that exact powder, very short on spare time, or an idiot.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 28 Feb 2023, 12:29 am

I have been stripping shotgun shells for quite a while the trap load of 1 oz shot at around 1300fps has a powder with a burning rate of around as30 which is pretty useless in a lot of handgun calibers it is pretty damn good in a 38 special with the HBWC hunting loads are around the as50 yeah and the heavier loads with 1 1/8 at around 1350 they are using a powder roughly a smidgen slower than ap70 then you have those Eley Alphamax Magnum loads with 42 grams of shot forget the speed that stuff has more than 30 grains of a powder as slow as ap100. Anyway I'm done with stripping powders brought a heap of vectan today that will see me out until I can get something better with the next shipment .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 28 Feb 2023, 6:25 am

rc42 wrote:The worst side of capitalism, when something is hard to find it's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.

That unfortunately is true of all the 'isms when it comes to trade between individuals in an environment of scarcity, except in the minds of the properly indoctrinated.
If basic economics were still taught in school to attentive pupils then there would be no problem with a general understanding of the law of supply and demand.
Put crudely it translates as 'I got it, you want it, how much you willing to pay'.
My life experience has informed me that those that loudly bleat about 'rip offs' often behave differently when the boot is on the other foot.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by The Shoota » 03 Mar 2023, 3:32 pm

deye243 wrote:Seeing the price of vectan I would say a fair price for the as50 would be somewhere between 400 and $500

Where did you see the price for Vectan please ? I am on the list but haven't heard a word since I submitted the EOI
The Shoota
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 03 Mar 2023, 5:28 pm

It is in Victoria so pointless for you price was AO $110 ba10 145$ ba 6.5 $145 all 500g plastic bottles .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 11 Mar 2023, 4:48 pm

well we just closed world economy down for virus, that even if everyone got it was still 3x less likely to kill a westerner in his life than being too fat and having crap arteries,cancer, diabetes risk etc. I guess if you want to lock down to save grandma fine, just dont complain when you and your kids pay the inflationary bill afterwards.

Regards the supply chain,-every big companies nose was, and still is pretty much in the trough. Which is why the consumer price index graph went from the gentle sloping line it should be, to now looking like the ski jump at the friggin winter olympics. And the net worth of the worlds richest climbed at exactly the same gradient. Amazing coincidence...

What we get now is anywhere from 10 years+ inflation until we claw fair markets back. Thats if we are lucky. If we are unlucky they just keep all the money. :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Diamond Jim » 15 Mar 2023, 10:48 pm

It's not just powder. I'm not aware of a lead shortage but 500 cast lead projectiles today cost $78 - that's more than double I was paying just two or three years ago. Same thing with powder before the current ADI mess as well as primers - I baulked when small pistol primers hit $50 /1000 now they are selling well over twice that. What suppliers and sellers need to know is that if they price their customers out of the market and we all take up fishing instead they will be out of business.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 16 Mar 2023, 2:29 am

At least on firearms stuff I am seeing a leveling out of prices here in the USA. The average consumer is getting more and more tapped out by the month. I saw recently most firearms companies have seen drops of 25% in sales in the past year over 2021.

Powder now is more widely available and also in many different varieties and brands, as well as primers. I think going into the summer and beyond if sales really slow down more, we could see stock start to pile up and might see some sales with price drops on reloading components.

Companies that are importing such components and things like powder and primers to Australia should start to have reduced issues in sourcing what they need to supply their customers.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by 6878mm » 28 Mar 2023, 9:45 am

From what powders that I have seen, pistol and shotgun seems the average going price seem to be abot $500 /kilo
Is that close to the mark??
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Mar 2023, 10:20 am

6878mm wrote:From what powders that I have seen, pistol and shotgun seems the average going price seem to be abot $500 /kilo
Is that close to the mark??

Take up fishing for 12 months.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 6878mm » 13 Apr 2023, 9:35 pm

Has there been any information about when ADI are going to start making pistol powder again
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 13 Apr 2023, 10:36 pm

6878mm wrote:Has there been any information about when ADI are going to start making pistol powder again

Not before 2024 at best, possibly never.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 6878mm » 13 Apr 2023, 11:20 pm

why possibly never??
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Apr 2023, 4:49 pm

6878mm wrote:why possibly never??

Because they may never sort out the issues with the new line they put in, which might mean having to put in another line again. I'm not sure our market is big enough for them to consider that expense viable.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 14 Apr 2023, 4:58 pm

Ring around some gunshops and be prepared to travel. A lot of folks have scored Vectan powders for $120.00 per 500gm container in the last couple of weeks.

There will be more coming into Australia, thankfully someone has stepped into the breech for Aussie pistol and shotgun shooters.......ADI, hang your collective heads in shame.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 14 Apr 2023, 6:14 pm

As far as I'm concerned all the news coming out of ADI is BS I believe they're still making it it's all going over to Europe every last grain of it because all the intelligent governments of the world are increasing if not doubling their military budgets.
ADI are after all a European company
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2023, 6:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
6878mm wrote:why possibly never??

Because they may never sort out the issues with the new line they put in, which might mean having to put in another line again. I'm not sure our market is big enough for them to consider that expense viable.

Blade is pretty right. There are significant issues with the new production line. It's moisture related. Could be ages.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Obie73 » 14 Apr 2023, 9:35 pm

I wonder why no one is importing some of the well-known US powders such as Unique to Australia. It's ADI or nothing over here, as far as I can see, and there's little or no published data on how to load for some pretty popular rounds such as 357 magnum with the available powders. It's a strange situation. Powder is apparently becoming widely available in the US again.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 14 Apr 2023, 10:42 pm

Obie73 wrote:I wonder why no one is importing some of the well-known US powders such as Unique to Australia. It's ADI or nothing over here, as far as I can see, and there's little or no published data on how to load for some pretty popular rounds such as 357 magnum with the available powders. It's a strange situation. Powder is apparently becoming widely available in the US again.

ADI do not supply any load data whatsoever they source that from Hodgden so I wouldn't expect any load data for unsuitable powders.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Obie73 » 14 Apr 2023, 11:01 pm

I will just have to use ready-mades for now. No reloading for me (yet).
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 14 Apr 2023, 11:45 pm

Just start with what other members have used and go from there .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition