Reloading bargin thread

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Reloading bargin thread

Post by JohnV » 25 Jul 2023, 1:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Press leverage is about 10 to 1.
Soo,,assuming you push down 5kg ( being generous here) when sizing the pressure at top of ram is only 50kg. I think that speaks for its self. So does the Lee video.

Majority of presses are over engineered.

Most O frame presses designed in the USA or even the Simplex in OZ and including the Lee classic cast are made stronger than actually needed to reload to facilitate small caliber and pistol bullet swaging which takes more pressure to accomplish .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jul 2023, 2:38 pm

That's my view to. I have a simplex O and I reckon you could make 224 bullets with it. But everyone talks about using much bigger presses. Got me buggered.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vince24 » 25 Jul 2023, 7:55 pm

Sometimes I would like to open on thread on "people asking for outrageous prices" just to have some fun ;)

You take the Cleaver price for the equivalent product and you calculate the multiple that some optimistic sellers use to set their price!
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by straightshooter » 03 Aug 2023, 8:59 am

Looks like there might be some respite from shortage driven crazy prices on the way as US gun purchases have dropped to a 4 year low if some reports are accurate.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 03 Aug 2023, 6:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:That's my view to. I have a simplex O and I reckon you could make 224 bullets with it. But everyone talks about using much bigger presses. Got me buggered.

The Simplex O frame is a beautiful press . It's stronger than an RCBC Rock Chucker or Redding O frame because they were made with a higher tensile cast iron . They can indeed make upto about 6 mm projectiles and upto about 44 cal pistol bullet with half jackets . Using Pure lead cores that is . I have one myself and have made lots of 44 cal for 44-40 in times gone by .
Plenty of BR shooters swage there own 6mm bullets on reloading O frame presses usually RCBS .
As the bullet diameter gets larger and the core material harder the pressure required to swage rises in non linear manner .
Dedicated bullet swaging presses the smaller ones have a shorter stroke and as a result the compound leverage is over a small radius and that gives more power so even though a small hand press like a Corbin Silver press looks small and puny it has 10 times the leverage than a reloading press but the ram only travels about 2 inches . They can make upto 308 cal bullets with near pure lead cores . Once you get over 30 cal and using harder alloy cores you are talking larger hand press and bigger diameter dies to contain the pressure . Bigger hole in the die means a thinner weaker wall so the press and die gets bigger . Something like a Corbin CSP-2 can swage upto 50 cal and long bullets and more . After that your talking a hydraulic press .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Aug 2023, 7:45 pm

So your saying what I was more or less thinking. But I believe the swaging dies are very expensive?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition