Great to see some Vectan Pistol powders hitting shelves

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Great to see some Vectan Pistol powders hitting shelves

Post by Jackaroo » 30 Mar 2023, 11:15 am

Great to see some Vectan Pistol powders hitting shelves at gun shops across Australia from last months orders being filled with more bulk shipments due in 6-8 months with the importer saying that hopefully they will have enough to meet the full needed demand of Aussie shooters. What a shame ADI let us down, but at least others are stepping up like Vectan & Tiger Shark.

https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/1184 ... owder.html
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Great to see some Vectan Pistol powders hitting shelves

Post by JohnV » 30 Mar 2023, 3:32 pm

Jackaroo wrote:Great to see some Vectan Pistol powders hitting shelves at gun shops across Australia from last months orders being filled with more bulk shipments due in 6-8 months with the importer saying that hopefully they will have enough to meet the full needed demand of Aussie shooters. What a shame ADI let us down, but at least others are stepping up like Vectan & Tiger Shark.

I was promised in an email years ago by ADI that sales to the USA would not cause shortages here at home .
They speak with forked tongue . Vectan powders are basically Nobel's formulas . It was good powder way back when I loaded shotgun shells . Australian Government is not doing anything to protect home markets . Even in Pakistan they banned certain products from being exported to protect the home market and the consumer .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Jackaroo » 30 Mar 2023, 4:14 pm

Unfortunately ADI has somehow dropped their manufacturing quality standard somehow.....received this last week from them -

jy.JPG
jy.JPG (40.33 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 30 Mar 2023, 4:33 pm

Jackaroo wrote:Unfortunately ADI has somehow dropped their manufacturing quality standard somehow.....received this last week from them -

jy.JPG

I think if they dropped their standard they would be producing it. They can't produce it to an acceptable standard on the new production line yet, so they're not putting it to market. A guy in the US posted the same thing last week on an FB group - if we ever do see Trailboss again it won't be before 2024.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Mar 2023, 5:59 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Jackaroo wrote:Unfortunately ADI has somehow dropped their manufacturing quality standard somehow.....received this last week from them -

jy.JPG

I think if they dropped their standard they would be producing it. They can't produce it to an acceptable standard on the new production line yet, so they're not putting it to market. A guy in the US posted the same thing last week on an FB group - if we ever do see Trailboss again it won't be before 2024.

Correct.
The new production line doesn't perform.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Mar 2023, 6:44 pm

JohnV wrote:
Jackaroo wrote:Great to see some Vectan Pistol powders hitting shelves at gun shops across Australia from last months orders being filled with more bulk shipments due in 6-8 months with the importer saying that hopefully they will have enough to meet the full needed demand of Aussie shooters. What a shame ADI let us down, but at least others are stepping up like Vectan & Tiger Shark.

I was promised in an email years ago by ADI that sales to the USA would not cause shortages here at home .
They speak with forked tongue . Vectan powders are basically Nobel's formulas . It was good powder way back when I loaded shotgun shells . Australian Government is not doing anything to protect home markets . Even in Pakistan they banned certain products from being exported to protect the home market and the consumer .

Sales to the US are not causing shortages in pistol powder, there are no sales to anyone as they don't make it. Scrapping the old double-base production before sorting out the moisture problems with the new single-base powders is what's stuffing us. They COULD allocate resources to this issue if they wanted, they are making plenty of money from rifle and large ordnance propellants, ammunition etc but just don't give a damn about Australian shooters. However now they are in partnership with NIOA, I expect absolutely nothing to change.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 30 Mar 2023, 7:31 pm

Either way ADI has dropped the ball and is not supporting Australians as they once did and they said that would never happen . How can you go from making a good powder to not being able to make it anymore ? That is weird .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Mar 2023, 7:36 pm

John, it's been discussed here many times. Just use the search option.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Mar 2023, 7:38 pm

Vectan. Please hit the shelves of my lgs
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Mar 2023, 7:55 pm

JohnV wrote:Either way ADI has dropped the ball and is not supporting Australians as they once did and they said that would never happen . How can you go from making a good powder to not being able to make it anymore ? That is weird .

They screwed up. They replaced the line they were using to produce the fast powders with a new line that doesn't work. As they replaced it they can't simply go back to the old system, they're stuck with trying to fix the new one.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 30 Mar 2023, 8:06 pm

If they were a baker, every batch of bread tasted and looked a little bit different and they had no idea why.
Unlike bread, you cant just package it up and sell it anyway.

ADI could produce pistol powders tomorrow, its just that the reject rate due to batch to batch variations made it uneconomical.
I'm sure they know why and its clearly a fundamental issue with their production facility that's not easily fixed.

Only way I ever see them resolving it is if ADI/NIOA get a substantial military contract to specifically manufacture pistol ammunition here; I dont think the export market is there to justify it, no shortage of pistol/shotgun powders in the USA/Europe.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 30 Mar 2023, 11:58 pm

If I was in the wholesale to retail gun business in Australia I would not fart around waiting for ADI to get it together, I'd start sourcing overseas, Vihtavouri, Vectan, Explosia, Hodgdon, etc.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by geoff » 01 Apr 2023, 11:25 am

jy.JPG

I think this email is quite telling. There's no real PR fluff in it....the guy almost sounds exasperated.

You used to get some kind of spin like "we are working every day to improve our systems to bring these powders back to Aussie shooters" or some other hygienic corporate statement

In your screenshot the sales guy is just like "Ah jeez look mate it all sucks, dunno what else to tell you, bye"

Maybe I'm reading into it too much but that seems ominous for anyone hoping for a resolution

I'm just rolling with the assumption that domestic pistol powder is gone forever. If I'm ever wrong it'll be a nice surprise but better to not get hopes up
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 01 Apr 2023, 5:02 pm

Oldbloke wrote:John, it's been discussed here many times. Just use the search option.

I don't want to use the search option . None of it sounds like the truth .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition