23 000 000 Rounds delivered to Ukraine

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

23 000 000 Rounds delivered to Ukraine

Post by JohnV » 05 Apr 2023, 12:32 pm

US delivers 23 000 000 rounds to Ukraine so no wonder some ammunition and components is in short supply .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: 23 000 000 Rounds delivered to Ukraine

Post by rc42 » 05 Apr 2023, 1:18 pm

The US military has its own munition manufacturing capability, just as every country should, so this shouldn't affect commercial supplies too much.

On the other hand, the extra millions of first time firearm owners in the US since Covid, BLM, police defunding and other chaos has created unprecedented demand for ammunition, this in turn has reduced the amount available for the reloading market.

It will be several years before this all settles down, especially as those that were caught short and going to keep much larger stockpile in the future, I certainly will.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by northdude » 05 Apr 2023, 3:53 pm

Out of all those rounds I wonder how many kills they get
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2023, 5:37 pm

northdude wrote:Out of all those rounds I wonder how many kills they get

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: 23?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 05 Apr 2023, 6:29 pm

Biden signed a executive order last month commandeering natural resources for ammunition production apparently there is nothing that can restrict them from doing this so brass copper zinc you name it all that lovely stuff is about to get very short in supply
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 05 Apr 2023, 8:29 pm

deye243 wrote:Biden signed a executive order last month commandeering natural resources for ammunition production apparently there is nothing that can restrict them from doing this so brass copper zinc you name it all that lovely stuff is about to get very short in supply

Absolutely Deye, it's only starting to bite.

Finland will need a squillion rounds of everything to ensure interoperability, now they've joined NATO.

They may stick with the 7.62x39 RK-62, but it seems unlikely.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 05 Apr 2023, 11:26 pm

Over here in the USA prices are falling and supplies are starting to fill up shelves. No shortage of .223 or 5.56 in bulk. A lot of the bulk 5.56 sold on shelves in the USA is rejects from the military production lines.

I use 9mm as a gauge for affordability and it is now falling down to $12 to $13 a box online.

Usually summertime here is quiet time at the gun stores, especially June, so I expect to see some decent sales this summer.

Even gunpowder for reloaders is filling shelves to the point there are even some sales with the big online vendors. Bullet supply is also filling up. When I bought a few pounds of powder a few weeks ago I paid $31 a pound for Power Pistol and I think $43 a pound for Vihtavouri 3N37.

Primers are becoming more available but they are holding prices in the $70-$100 range a thousand. I'm nowhere near running out on primers but my supplies are falling, so I may have to suck it up and plump for the higher prices to keep stores at levels I am happy with. My main concern is small pistol primers.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JohnV » 06 Apr 2023, 1:43 pm

rc42 wrote:The US military has its own munition manufacturing capability, just as every country should, so this shouldn't affect commercial supplies too much.

On the other hand, the extra millions of first time firearm owners in the US since Covid, BLM, police defunding and other chaos has created unprecedented demand for ammunition, this in turn has reduced the amount available for the reloading market.

It will be several years before this all settles down, especially as those that were caught short and going to keep much larger stockpile in the future, I certainly will.
Not true the US uses many commercial manufacturers like Sierra , Hornady . Federal and others to fill the gaps . Things are improving though as they would have filled the contracts by now .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 06 Apr 2023, 9:58 pm

northdude wrote:Out of all those rounds I wonder how many kills they get

Nothing to have 100,000 rounds per kill. If the US alone manufactured 23 billion rounds of small arms manufacture (10,000,000+ per day) and 80% of kills were from artillery, during WWII, you get the picture
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lazarus » 07 Apr 2023, 7:46 am

I saw a video the other day of a Ukrainian Challenger 2 slowly motoring along a Russian trench, the Orcs had obviously run out of anti tank ammo.
The tank was giving them the good news with its main gun from M67 lobbing range.

All mist, mud trenches and artillery blasted trees, very Armageddon-like.

Reports suggest that as in WW1, artillery is king in WW3
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Apr 2023, 7:53 am

Lazarus wrote:I saw a video the other day of a Ukrainian Challenger 2 slowly motoring along a Russian trench, the Orcs had obviously run out of anti tank ammo.
The tank was giving them the good news with its main gun from M67 lobbing range.

All mist, mud trenches and artillery blasted trees, very Armageddon-like.

Reports suggest that as in WW1, artillery is king in WW3

The drone footage is eerily reminiscent of colourised WW1 trench warfare, mud, mist, everything the same dull grey, including the people. How the hell they can tell who the enemy is is beyond me.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 07 Apr 2023, 8:20 am

The Russians wear a bit of red tape on their arm or somewhere visible and the humans wear blue or yellow tape
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 07 Apr 2023, 11:41 am

If it shoots at you its enemy
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lazarus » 07 Apr 2023, 11:42 am

northdude wrote:If it shoots at you its enemy

Good point.

Friendly fire, isn't.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 07 Apr 2023, 6:34 pm

friendly or not they are shooting at you to kill you. either kill them or they are going to kill you
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by mchughcb » 07 Apr 2023, 7:03 pm

23M rounds doesn't mean anything when Russia is dropping guided FAB and taking out entire buildings from 55km away.

Bakmut is almost done by the Wagner's. 15k troops trapped. Things are going very Bradley for Ukraine .
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bergararse » 09 Apr 2023, 8:47 pm

I think Vietnam was 50,000 rounds per kill?
Bergararse
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by BNR964 » 01 Jul 2023, 9:47 am

How many rounds per hit……when playing with cgi sims, for me it was about 77 per hit. Turns out that figure 11 targets are hard to hit when they move. Not sure what that figure would have been if they shot back, prolly a lot more.
BNR964
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by wrenchman » 01 Jul 2023, 11:15 am

lake city army ammunition plant makes a lot of military stuff but a lot does come from other makers and military sales come first what is the real bad thing is all the things we are giving away have to be replaced and paid for it drives the u.s. dollar value down
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jul 2023, 12:31 pm

BNR964 wrote:How many rounds per hit……when playing with cgi sims, for me it was about 77 per hit. Turns out that figure 11 targets are hard to hit when they move. Not sure what that figure would have been if they shot back, prolly a lot more.

At what distance? Figure 11's are pretty big targets, even when they're moving.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 03 Jul 2023, 11:02 am

bladeracer wrote:At what distance? Figure 11's are pretty big targets, even when they're moving.

Depends on how fast it's moving now don't it ;) Running man is no more, due to safety issues, so the movers are at most a slow walk now - so indeed pretty easy to get 10/10 from the sit at 200m; just give it a fractional hold, but basically hold on it and pull the trigger at the right time. It was much harder to get 10/10, back when they were fast jogging speed.

All this stuff is moot anyway - real life engagements are overwhelmingly at very close range. Mostly they just blindly spray while maneuver/assault or call in CAS or mech to break a pin. Fire and move, usually in the form of a base of fire + moving element. US doctrine since nam. Volume over accuracy.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2023, 4:42 pm

in2anity wrote:
bladeracer wrote:At what distance? Figure 11's are pretty big targets, even when they're moving.

Depends on how fast it's moving now don't it ;) Running man is no more, due to safety issues, so the movers are at most a slow walk now - so indeed pretty easy to get 10/10 from the sit at 200m; just give it a fractional hold, but basically hold on it and pull the trigger at the right time. It was much harder to get 10/10, back when they were fast jogging speed.

All this stuff is moot anyway - real life engagements are overwhelmingly at very close range. Mostly they just blindly spray while maneuver/assault or call in CAS or mech to break a pin. Fire and move, usually in the form of a base of fire + moving element. US doctrine since nam. Volume over accuracy.

If we were doing "suppresive fire" shoots I'd be pretty good I reckon :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition