Neck sizing die adjustment

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Neck sizing die adjustment

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2023, 4:07 pm

Its been a while since i neck sized only .... i just bought a 270 win neck sizer. I think its rcbs If i want to or need to is it possible i can adjust this die so i bump the shoulder back a fraction in the same operation? Its no big deal I can always just use my original two die set and not botjer with this new die it only cost me 20 bucks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Neck sizing die adjustment

Post by bladeracer » 06 Apr 2023, 4:23 pm

Blr243 wrote:Its been a while since i neck sized only .... i just bought a 270 win neck sizer. I think its rcbs If i want to or need to is it possible i can adjust this die so i bump the shoulder back a fraction in the same operation? Its no big deal I can always just use my original two die set and not bother with this new die it only cost me 20 bucks

I hate the RCBS site but I had a look and can't find any neck sizing dies so I don't know how they work. But I would be surprised if it could bump a shoulder. Is it the Matchmaster neck sizing die using bushings? Is it a collet die?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2023, 4:53 pm

I dont think its a collet die. Pic attached
Attachments
E0A8FFE3-EE44-46B4-84BD-EDD1396D3460.jpeg
E0A8FFE3-EE44-46B4-84BD-EDD1396D3460.jpeg (435.49 KiB) Viewed 865 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 06 Apr 2023, 5:09 pm

Blr243 wrote:Its been a while since i neck sized only .... i just bought a 270 win neck sizer. I think its rcbs If i want to or need to is it possible i can adjust this die so i bump the shoulder back a fraction in the same operation? Its no big deal I can always just use my original two die set and not botjer with this new die it only cost me 20 bucks

Nope as it only sizes the neck if you try and push the neck in to far the shoulder will collapse because there is no support for any case wall or shoulder a neck sizing die works perfectly well for it's intended purpose and that is to only size enough of the neck that contacts are projectile so if you only have half the neck touching the projectile that is all you size that way it aligns the projectile with the centre of the bore .
I still don't understand the need to push shoulder back I have cases here that have been neck sized a lot more than 10 times there is no resistance on the bolt handle and I still get better than loading manual speeds.
You can set your sizing.die up to suit your chamber it is a lot of mucking around lube your case and once you find your starting point you just rotate the die 16th of a turn at a time clean lube off see if the bolt handle falls down properly rinse and repeat until there is no resistance then set the lock ring that way you are not oversizing your case
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Apr 2023, 5:16 pm

deye243 wrote:I still don't understand the need to push shoulder back I have cases here that have been neck sized a lot more than 10 times there is no resistance on the bolt handle and I still get better than loading manual speeds.

I think it primarily depends on the cartridge/action design and how hot you load it. .204, .223 and others I have never had to bump, .303 in a Lee action I have to bump very often if I'm only neck sizing.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2023, 7:19 pm

Thanks. It all makes sense. I have never been a strict die hard fan of fls or bump sizing or neck sizing. I prefer instead to apply whatever i feel is right for my needs , situation calibre etc
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 06 Apr 2023, 7:37 pm

As others have said it's not a bump die . Why don't you try a better die system . Use a Lee collet neck sizing die and a Redding body die to size the body and or bump the shoulder " if " necessary . The Lee collet die works with uneven neck wall thickness and skim neck turned brass . A Redding Bushing neck sizer works best with skim neck turned brass . The bushing die is easy to adjust the length of the neck that gets sized but the Lee Collet die will need a washer over the case onto the shell holder to do any partial neck sizing .
Once you master the new dies they are way easier to use as long as you take some time to read up and master the collet die .
It works best in strong press that goes over center like a RCBS rock chucker . Over center means when the ram travels all the way up it stops and drops back a very small amount . This allows the collet die to have a definite stopping point for the force and when adjusted just right the ram locks in place at the top. If you don't do it that way and just use constant force method there is variation in how much force is applied and as your arm tires and applies less force . Not good for consistency or your arm . If you need help with the collet die ask me and I will post detailed instructions . Lee's instructions are useless .
This system also makes lubing cases easy . Collet die no lube need on the case neck . Bushing die use some dry lube just on the neck or with a tungsten bushing you can get away with no lube . Body die just roll some liquid lube on the case body only , none is required on the shoulder or neck . Dry lube can be made from a mix of 50% lock graphite and 50% Fine Moly powder .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by deye243 » 06 Apr 2023, 7:44 pm

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:I still don't understand the need to push shoulder back I have cases here that have been neck sized a lot more than 10 times there is no resistance on the bolt handle and I still get better than loading manual speeds.

I think it primarily depends on the cartridge/action design and how hot you load it. .204, .223 and others I have never had to bump, .303 in a Lee action I have to bump very often if I'm only neck sizing.

:thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Apr 2023, 7:49 pm

[quote="deye243"
Nope as it only sizes the neck if you try and push the neck in to far the shoulder will collapse because there is no support for any case wall or shoulder a neck sizing die works perfectly well for it's intended purpose and that is to only size enough of the neck that contacts are projectile so if you only have half the neck touching the projectile that is all you size that way it aligns the projectile with the centre of the bore .
I still don't understand the need to push shoulder back I have cases here that have been neck sized a lot more than 10 times there is no resistance on the bolt handle and I still get better than loading manual speeds.
You can set your sizing.die up to suit your chamber it is a lot of mucking around lube your case and once you find your starting point you just rotate the die 16th of a turn at a time clean lube off see if the bolt handle falls down properly rinse and repeat until there is no resistance then set the lock ring that way you are not oversizing your case[/quote]
What he said. I would neck size until you find that the case chambers with resistance, if that ever happens. I then use a small base body die to push the shoulder back. If you size less of the neck, it will help keep neck tension lighter and more consistent.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 07 Apr 2023, 10:30 am

deye243 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

It depends on the cartridge/action design and how hot you load it. .204, .223 and others I have never had to bump, .303 in a Lee action I have to bump very often if I'm only neck sizing.

:thumbsup:

I agree the need depends a lot on case design , brass softness , load pressure , sizing techniques . Tapered cases like 22-250 loaded well up and using expander ball FLS type dies that pull at the case shoulder more in use do tend to load up on the bolt face more than other case designs .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition