Using small pistol primers in a rifle???

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Using small pistol primers in a rifle???

Post by straightshooter » 09 Apr 2023, 7:09 am

Dear Northdude
The person who lost an eye may have blamed it on pistol primers but I suspect there may have been a more fundamental cause.
A hornet is held to 25000 CUP (or approximately 35000 PSI) which is in the upper range of pistol pressures and is well within the acceptable pressure range of pistol primers.
The thin nature of the Hornet case dictates that pressure restriction as well as the sometimes light construction of the firearms it is chambered in, for example actions that are also used for light 410 shotguns.
Exceed that pressure range at your own risk.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Apr 2023, 7:13 am

straightshooter wrote:Dear Northdude
The person who lost an eye may have blamed it on pistol primers but I suspect there may have been a more fundamental cause.
A hornet is held to 25000 CUP (or approximately 35000 PSI) which is in the upper range of pistol pressures and is well within the acceptable pressure range of pistol primers.
The thin nature of the Hornet case dictates that pressure restriction as well as the sometimes light construction of the firearms it is chambered in, for example actions that are also used for light 410 shotguns.
Exceed that pressure range at your own risk.

the hornet is in a different class preasure wise compared to other small rifle carts , like 222 , 223 ect
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 09 Apr 2023, 7:20 am

Ok pierced primer h&r sb2 frame what went wrong? Sb2 frame is used for 223 up to 30 30 weak frame?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 09 Apr 2023, 7:33 am

bigrich wrote:
northdude wrote:How ive got my 3 hornets shooting I seriously think i wouldnt see a difference in pistol primers. But as I said the guy I bought my first hornet off lost an eye trying it. Just passing on what I have seen happen, their your eyes you only get 1 pair if you dont need them and the risk is worth it go for it. Must be a reason your factory ammo uses sr primers surley...and there would be more to it than just lawyers

if your wary of the small pistol primers , try my other 2 tricks . FLS just enough that the neck is sized down far enough for your bullet seating depth , and put a light crimp with a lee factory crimp die . out of my old krico it would shoot bug holes :D load a 40vmax out and single feed . great bullet :thumbsup:

Yep thats what i do with my krico. Got a h&r sb2 that is surprisingly accurate as well, also a browning micro hunter as well. All of them are tack drivers if you have the time and patience with the little hornet round
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by straightshooter » 09 Apr 2023, 7:45 am

northdude wrote:Ok pierced primer h&r sb2 frame what went wrong? Sb2 frame is used for 223 up to 30 30 weak frame?

OK please explain clearly by what you mean by pierced, as this term is commonly misused in reference to a blanked primer.
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 09 Apr 2023, 7:55 am

The primer had a hole where the firing pin struck it hot gas came out through hole
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 09 Apr 2023, 9:10 am

northdude wrote:
bigrich wrote:
northdude wrote:How ive got my 3 hornets shooting I seriously think i wouldnt see a difference in pistol primers. But as I said the guy I bought my first hornet off lost an eye trying it. Just passing on what I have seen happen, their your eyes you only get 1 pair if you dont need them and the risk is worth it go for it. Must be a reason your factory ammo uses sr primers surley...and there would be more to it than just lawyers

if your wary of the small pistol primers , try my other 2 tricks . FLS just enough that the neck is sized down far enough for your bullet seating depth , and put a light crimp with a lee factory crimp die . out of my old krico it would shoot bug holes :D load a 40vmax out and single feed . great bullet :thumbsup:

Yep thats what i do with my krico. Got a h&r sb2 that is surprisingly accurate as well, also a browning micro hunter as well. All of them are tack drivers if you have the time and patience with the little hornet round

What i use as far as primers go are federal sr in the hornet. From the people ive talked to that reload for it they say the federals are the softest so thats what I use with zero problems.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 09 Apr 2023, 9:17 am

Op was questioning using them in a 222. Bit of a step up from 22h. Im just saying i personally wouldnt do it myself so definatley wouldnt advise someone else do it.....
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by straightshooter » 09 Apr 2023, 12:15 pm

northdude wrote:The primer had a hole where the firing pin struck it hot gas came out through hole

This is correctly called blanking. That is a disk of primer brass is blown into the firing pin hole as distinct from some other rupture of the primer cup around the firing pin indentation.
The principal reason for this kind of failure is that for possibly a variety of reasons the firing pin has insufficient inertia or spring force or both to resist the pressure in the cartridge.
Generally primer cratering precedes blanking as the powder load is incrementally increased if one follows good handloading practices.
The cause of cratering is often misdiagnosed. However it is a warning sign that pressures are starting exceed a safe level for the combination of components being assembled in those particular handloads.
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 09 Apr 2023, 2:16 pm

Ok Im not up with every single technical term. I was just calling it a pierced primer as it looked to me that the firing pin had pierced the primer. The guy gave me the case when I bought the rifle but that was 30 odd years ago now and case is long gone
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2023, 2:37 pm

northdude wrote:Ok Im not up with every single technical term. I was just calling it a pierced primer as it looked to me that the firing pin had pierced the primer. The guy gave me the case when I bought the rifle but that was 30 odd years ago now and case is long gone

The rifle has nothing to direct gas away from the shooter? Have you ever had a case separate in the rifle?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Danny » 09 Apr 2023, 2:41 pm

Generally you can use small rifle primers in a pistol if its got enough power to ignite them reliably. Not the opposite way around cause of the significant increase in pressures between pistol and rifle cases. If you're in brisbane I'm happy to swap you fed small rifle primers for the fed small pistol primers
Danny
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by northdude » 09 Apr 2023, 2:45 pm

Its a H&R sb2 handi rifle 22 hornet heavy barrel quite basic. Im picking the gas would of come back through where the hammer is right where your eye would be. Havnt had a complete seperation but had the crack start around the web. Something to keep an eye out for with the hornet.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition