357 rifle loads

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: 357 rifle loads

Post by Larry » 21 Apr 2023, 9:41 pm

Just happened to be loading some 357 Rifle loads and I would normally just load them with SR primers without thinking about it but today the recent posts made me stop and think. So I loaded a primed case no powder and let her rip, no pop re cocked the hammer and gave it another hit and off she went. So perhaps they are a bit harder.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 22 Apr 2023, 5:29 am

Larry wrote:Just happened to be loading some 357 Rifle loads and I would normally just load them with SR primers without thinking about it but today the recent posts made me stop and think. So I loaded a primed case no powder and let her rip, no pop re cocked the hammer and gave it another hit and off she went. So perhaps they are a bit harder.

yeah, some lever guns don't seem to have a strong hammer strike , my rossi is one of them . talking about primer strike, i was playing around with my old brno 21 ,98 mauser action, and had a peirced rem 9 1/2 primer . never happened to me before . a combination of rem poor qaulity and the strong firing pin strike of the m98 design i guess . thank god paul mauser designed the m98 with great gas handling abilities to protect the shooter . saw a 17hmr self destruct at belmont range a few years ago . broke the stock and blew the mag out the bottom .

sorry to digress from 357 , it's early...... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ausmade » 25 Apr 2023, 10:10 am

Obie73 wrote:I think 180 gn sounds a bit on the heavy side. I'm going to try something more usual, like 158 gn. I haven't yet found the spot in Uncle Nick's reloading manual where it says you should use 2207 only for 180 gn projectiles..
But, the main thing is, what's up with primers? Cleavers the other day said they don't have several types of primers and they don't know when they will ever get them in again. What a great time to get into reloading! Haha.

Nick has 2 lots of load data, one for rifles and one for handguns. In his 9th edition, page 227 is his rifle data which is min 12.7gn to max 13.7gn using AR2207. His handgun data on page 278 has no mention of 2207 as being an option.
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 25 Apr 2023, 1:10 pm

2207 powder in 38/357 needs an extended burn time or there's a lot of unburned powder left behind which can get into the mechanics of the firearm and jam it up (especially revolvers).
The basic ways to do this are longer barrel or heavier projectile so 2207 is better suited to rifle loads which can get away with a lighter 158 projectile.
A 180gn projectile is just usable in pistols but a tiny amount of fast powder down near the primer will increase the initial pressure spike and help with a much more complete burn, at the very least it creates some expanding gas at the back of the case that will blow unburned powder out of the muzzle.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 25 Apr 2023, 5:40 pm

Just remember that a duplex load has to be a compressed charge
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Apr 2023, 6:24 am

i have a relevant question for trying to use ar2207 in 357 rifles . would small pistol magnum primers help or hinder as opposed to small rifle primers that uncle nick lists with the slower burning powder ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ausmade » 27 Apr 2023, 8:36 am

bigrich wrote:i have a relevant question for trying to use ar2207 in 357 rifles . would small pistol magnum primers help or hinder as opposed to small rifle primers that uncle nick lists with the slower burning powder ?

When I get around to loading some up, I will be using magnum pistol primers as thy're the ones I use normally anyway. I believe they give better ignition on the slower burning powders. I'll let you know how I go.
Ausmade
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Obie73 » 27 Apr 2023, 10:43 am

Ausmade wrote:
Obie73 wrote:I think 180 gn sounds a bit on the heavy side. I'm going to try something more usual, like 158 gn. I haven't yet found the spot in Uncle Nick's reloading manual where it says you should use 2207 only for 180 gn projectiles..
But, the main thing is, what's up with primers? Cleavers the other day said they don't have several types of primers and they don't know when they will ever get them in again. What a great time to get into reloading! Haha.

Nick has 2 lots of load data, one for rifles and one for handguns. In his 9th edition, page 227 is his rifle data which is min 12.7gn to max 13.7gn using AR2207. His handgun data on page 278 has no mention of 2207 as being an option.

Yes, you are right. Thanks for that. I just checked the 11th edn and it's the same.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Obie73 » 27 Apr 2023, 10:52 am

What I would really like to do is shoot 357 loads that are similar or the same kick/recoil as when firing 38 specials. One option is to load 38 brass but then there is the carbon gunk that needs to be cleaned from the chamber due to the shorter case. I doesn't worry me that the trajectory won't be as flat as full-powered 357. As long as the final result is 'accurate-enough' groups. Eg. 4 inch groups at 100m or thereabouts (or better) I will be happy, and i don't mind changing the rear sight setting for different distances.

If you use 38 spl type loads in 357 brass is there going to be a problem with the powder not coming up to the base of the projectile? Eg. too much air space inside the case.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Obie73 » 27 Apr 2023, 10:55 am

Also, I'm wondering if reduced (38 spl) 357 loads might help with the unburnt powder issue. Less powder grains to be burned up. Don't know if that's how it works though.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 27 Apr 2023, 11:37 am

If you want such a light load you will definitely not be able to use 2207 you will have to use a fast pistol or shotgun powder at around 4 to 5 grains of something in the speed range of ap50 with a hard cast projectiles around 148 to 158 and no using less of 07 won't work because it relies on pressure for combustion not the amount of granules
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Obie73 » 27 Apr 2023, 12:04 pm

deye243 wrote:If you want such a light load you will definitely not be able to use 2207 you will have to use a fast pistol or shotgun powder at around 4 to 5 grains of something in the speed range of ap50 with a hard cast projectiles around 148 to 158 and no using less of 07 won't work because it relies on pressure for combustion not the amount of granules

Thank you for this information, deye243.
Hmm. Looks like I will have to accept that the gun is going to kick a bit, and just get used to it :violin:

What are the best primers, of those currently on store shelves, for reloading for a 357 rifle?
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2023, 12:50 pm

Obie73 wrote:If you use 38 spl type loads in 357 brass is there going to be a problem with the powder not coming up to the base of the projectile? Eg. too much air space inside the case.

No, the only difference would be that there would be a little more volume in the case so it would probably make a little less velocity. I would expect you would need a little more powder to make the same velocity as .38 Special, or simply seat the bullet into the case to .38 Special length.

Cleaning the chamber is not that big a deal though, just use .38 Special brass for your .38 Special loads.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Obie73 » 27 Apr 2023, 1:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Obie73 wrote:If you use 38 spl type loads in 357 brass is there going to be a problem with the powder not coming up to the base of the projectile? Eg. too much air space inside the case.

No, the only difference would be that there would be a little more volume in the case so it would probably make a little less velocity. I would expect you would need a little more powder to make the same velocity as .38 Special, or simply seat the bullet into the case to .38 Special length.

Cleaning the chamber is not that big a deal though, just use .38 Special brass for your .38 Special loads.

If I use 38 rounds in a 357 lever action do you think it will be okay in terms of cycling ammo through it? Guess it depends on the particular rifle. For the target shooting I do we need 5 rounds up the spout.
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2023, 1:15 pm

Obie73 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

If I use 38 rounds in a 357 lever action do you think it will be okay in terms of cycling ammo through it? Guess it depends on the particular rifle. For the target shooting I do we need 5 rounds up the spout.

Most .357 Magnum lever guns are designed to also run .38 Special, but I guess there might be some that don't like the shorter rounds. Only way to know is to try them. I only own one .357, the Rossi '92 and it feeds .38 just fine. I also own a .38 Special lever but that won't run .357 Mag at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AussieMadman » 01 May 2023, 5:21 pm

Blr243 wrote:Heavy loads in the 357 can boot a bit due to the lightweight nature of 357 rifles . But its all manageable and one can easily get used to it. People ( myself included ) have started to experiment with 2207 In 357 mag because we cant get 2205 . It was 3 plus months ago. I cant remember my data

i'd be interested to see the results of that...
AussieMadman
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Billo » 01 May 2023, 6:27 pm

I sold my 357 because its a limp wrist without a steady supply of pistol powder.

I'll grab another one in a few years when Putin is dead :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 May 2023, 7:46 pm

Billo wrote:I sold my 357 because its a limp wrist without a steady supply of pistol powder.

I'll grab another one in a few years when Putin is dead :drinks:

Did you try AR2206H in it? I keep meaning to but never quite manage it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 01 May 2023, 8:01 pm

Nah I had 296, Lil gun and Power pro 300. Only top shelf stuff and the 357 can either be a 80m round or stoke it up and it comes alive :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 02 May 2023, 3:29 am

Billo wrote:Nah I had 296, Lil gun and Power pro 300. Only top shelf stuff and the 357 can either be a 80m round or stoke it up and it comes alive :drinks:

i used to load lil' gun in a 357 marlin i had . was getting over 1800fps with 158 xtp's with no preasure signs . 296 is one i always wanted to try, woulda been good in my hornet too i reckon . shame we can't get the powder variety that yanks can get .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition