350 Legend

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

350 Legend

Post by madang55 » 31 May 2023, 2:07 am

So, I got a 350 Legend. Why?, it ticks a lot of boxes but really doesn't matter. Ammunition, relatively cheap. So, do I reload or not? I love a challenge, why not.
Got dies. watched utube, Ohhh K. Start with a couple of boxes of factory. Got 12 fired cases. Now the fun starts. re-size, de-prime. not a problem, die adjusted, no challenge. Next step...prepare case for projectile seating. i.e. expand the case mouth. Well butter me on both sides and roll me over!!!. 9 cases later and I think I've got it. Notice I didn't prime....I have a box of Speer Hot Core proj (358)... Had to seat way deep before I could get the case with proj seated to chamber without effort. I have a short piece of (bolt hammer) timber handy. Remember I said I love a challenge? Yeah....right.
7mm08 have the reputation of being a reloading problem child due to chamber throat lengths? I think this puppy is going to be the same. I'm waiting on some Hornady FTX proj (355). Short stubby things to see if they make things easier. Of course its all just foolin around till we get some powder on the shelves.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: 350 Legend

Post by Billo » 31 May 2023, 8:47 am

what rifle did you grab madang55 ? should be fun to shoot too
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 May 2023, 10:09 am

"Had to seat way deep before I could get the case with proj seated to chamber without effort"

Have you measured the OAL to touching lands?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 31 May 2023, 10:42 am

OAL...the whole range of 350L toys are not yet available. This was trial and error with a prepared case and projectile. Started with what I thought was a reasonable length, fitted into the magazine etc, but that piece of timber came in handy. I think that the 358 Speer was too long in itself, or at least the ogive may be too "fat". I am going to source some FTX (355) and see if that's the answer.
Got the Winchester XPR. Howa are not being imported, Ruger Ranch is just plain ugly. And there aint much left to choose from. Re-barrelling a 223 was going to be way too troublesome, but at least I could get a longer throat planned.
Shoots real nice. Have to put some decent range work in to properly look at the accuracy. And....its a furphy that the ammo is cheap now.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 May 2023, 11:10 am

Finding the lands. I've settled on this method after trying several others.

https://youtu.be/Jv-D1mEI514

A 0.020 inch (0.5mm) off the lands is a good starting point.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2023, 1:44 pm

madang55 wrote:So, I got a 350 Legend. Why?, it ticks a lot of boxes but really doesn't matter. Ammunition, relatively cheap. So, do I reload or not? I love a challenge, why not.
Got dies. watched utube, Ohhh K. Start with a couple of boxes of factory. Got 12 fired cases. Now the fun starts. re-size, de-prime. not a problem, die adjusted, no challenge. Next step...prepare case for projectile seating. i.e. expand the case mouth. Well butter me on both sides and roll me over!!!. 9 cases later and I think I've got it. Notice I didn't prime....I have a box of Speer Hot Core proj (358)... Had to seat way deep before I could get the case with proj seated to chamber without effort. I have a short piece of (bolt hammer) timber handy. Remember I said I love a challenge? Yeah....right.
7mm08 have the reputation of being a reloading problem child due to chamber throat lengths? I think this puppy is going to be the same. I'm waiting on some Hornady FTX proj (355). Short stubby things to see if they make things easier. Of course its all just foolin around till we get some powder on the shelves.

You don't need to flare the case mouth unless you're using cast bullets, the chamfer should be sufficient for jacketed bullets and even copper-plated - you must chamfer the case mouth regardless. If you flare the case mouth then you will have to crimp the bullet to bring the case back down to size.

Call every gunshop you're willing to drive to and see if anybody has AR2205 or AR2207 on the shelf, but it's very unlikely. And put you name on the list for powder when the next batch is made, probably next year. Otherwise start scavenging powder out of shotshells or experiment with AR2206H.

.355" might be too small to stabilise, stick with .357" or .358" bullets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 02 Jun 2023, 12:38 pm

bladeracer wrote:
madang55 wrote:So, I got a 350 Legend. Why?, it ticks a lot of boxes but really doesn't matter. Ammunition, relatively cheap. So, do I reload or not? I love a challenge, why not.

You don't need to flare the case mouth unless you're using cast bullets, the chamfer should be sufficient for jacketed bullets and even copper-plated - you must chamfer the case mouth regardless. If you flare the case mouth then you will have to crimp the bullet to bring the case back down to size.

Call every gunshop you're willing to drive to and see if anybody has AR2205 or AR2207 on the shelf, but it's very unlikely. And put you name on the list for powder when the next batch is made, probably next year. Otherwise start scavenging powder out of shotshells or experiment with AR2206H.

.355" might be too small to stabilise, stick with .357" or .358" bullets.

AH...OK...chamferring I know about.
All the reloading info, including the dies is to expand the case mouth. With the trials I've done, there is no way around expanding the case mouth. The cases collapse without it. The factory ammo measures .355 (thereabouts). The Speer proj measure .358,(thereabouts)...but are too long..but the case mouth is bought back flush when seating...I have a little 2206H but there is no load data other than for 2205..I pulled a couple of the factory and the powder looks like sand.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 02 Jun 2023, 12:59 pm

JUST REALISED....I have a LOT of 12G target shells I can do without. Mostly Winchester. what weights are we looking at here? Equiv to the LiL Gun loads?
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 04 Jun 2023, 8:01 am

Retrieved plenty of 12g powder. All I need is some data to play with.
Managed to source tools to measure to ogive which will help a lot in this case.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jun 2023, 11:19 am

madang55 wrote:JUST REALISED....I have a LOT of 12G target shells I can do without. Mostly Winchester. what weights are we looking at here? Equiv to the LiL Gun loads?

You don't know what the powder is. Risky business.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jun 2023, 11:49 am

Sounds like yr very new to reloading.

Have you read a reloading manual?

Rule 1. Only use recommended load data from powder manufacturers manual.
Rule 2. Do not go over powder manufacturers max load. See Rule 1.
Rule 3. Be vary wary of data from the internet, particularly faceache and forums. See Rule 1.

https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-how-to-reload ... ading.html

Link to free manuals here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13453&start=30

ADI
http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/data-rifle/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 04 Jun 2023, 4:02 pm

Going back to 1971.
I have reloaded
222R Sako (and 222 rimmed Martini)
22Hornet, Anschutz and a Martini,
218Bee..Martini,
223R, Rem 700, CZ527
204 Ruger Rem action, Swann barrel, Timney trigger
243W, Win Mod 70 FW
6.5 Grendel, Howa
6.5 Creedmoor Howa
308W CZ and Sauer 100,
270, Carl Gustav,
6mmRem, Husqvana action, Shilen barrel, Timney trigger (by Shooters' Supplies in Melbourne)
30-06, M98
338WM, Ruger M77 II
9.3X62, Haenel
375H&H, CZ602
12G, Larona
That I can remember.
Started with a Lee hand-loader, went on to an old "Zero" press, I have a RCBS Partner, which I use for bullet pulling and de-priming. I have an RCBS Rockchucker and I have an old Simplex around somewhere not in use. I did borrow a "progressive" type press to play with for a while.
My 1st manual was a Speer, still got it on the shelf somewhere. Read it front to back, several times. As well as the old load data there's lots of interesting history in the pages as well. I update my ADI manuals every time a new one comes out.
I have NEVER used anything but published load data.
How do I know that there isn't data out there for shotgun powder unless I ask?
Next question?
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2023, 6:01 pm

madang55 wrote:How do I know that there isn't data out there for shotgun powder unless I ask?
Next question?

There are certainly loads for shotgun powders, I think his point is that you don't know what powder it is, you can only make guesses.
Just experiment with safety in mind until you find something that works.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jun 2023, 6:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
madang55 wrote:How do I know that there isn't data out there for shotgun powder unless I ask?
Next question?

There are certainly loads for shotgun powders, I think his point is that you don't know what powder it is, you can only make guesses.

Correct you more than likely can use shotty powder. But your guessing.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jun 2023, 6:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Next question?

You are, but only within a very narrow window, it's not likely you're going to find any powder slower than about AR2205 in a shotshell.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 04 Jun 2023, 8:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Next question?

You are, but only within a very narrow window, it's not likely you're going to find any powder slower than about AR2205 in a shotshell.

And that's all I really need to know.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 28 Jun 2023, 10:43 pm

So. .358 projectiles do not work. after seating they cause an 'over-size' of the case and will not chamber. .355 projectiles do work. However, the case mouth MUST be lubricated prior to running through the expanding die prior to seating. If not, the process causes a minute collapse of the case and unwanted increase in the case dimensions, again causing difficulty chambering. So much fun this 350.....
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 29 Jun 2023, 1:05 am

Just get a 35mm film canister put an oz of shot in it no7 is good and about 1/2 a tea spoon of super fine graphite and just dip it and charge and seat easy as.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 29 Jun 2023, 7:57 am

deye243 wrote:Just get a 35mm film canister put an oz of shot in it no7 is good and about 1/2 a tea spoon of super fine graphite and just dip it and charge and seat easy as.

I do like that. And the canister will last a while. So size/de-prime..dip...expand...charge..seat..
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 29 Jun 2023, 8:07 am

madang55 wrote:So. .358 projectiles do not work. after seating they cause an 'over-size' of the case and will not chamber. .355 projectiles do work. However, the case mouth MUST be lubricated prior to running through the expanding die prior to seating. If not, the process causes a minute collapse of the case and unwanted increase in the case dimensions, again causing difficulty chambering. So much fun this 350.....

Does your die set have an expander die with provision for case mouth flaring.
If it does then learn how to use it judiciously.
If not then you will have ongoing problems.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 29 Jun 2023, 12:15 pm

straightshooter wrote:
madang55 wrote:So. .358 projectiles do not work. after seating they cause an 'over-size' of the case and will not chamber. .355 projectiles do work. However, the case mouth MUST be lubricated prior to running through the expanding die prior to seating. If not, the process causes a minute collapse of the case and unwanted increase in the case dimensions, again causing difficulty chambering. So much fun this 350.....

Does your die set have an expander die with provision for case mouth flaring.
If it does then learn how to use it judiciously.
If not then you will have ongoing problems.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

Dangerous....nah...just a challenge. Trial and error at its best.
Expander die yes. Judiciously, definitely. A couple I tried ended up looking like the big end of a trumpet and when I tried to seat, the case mouth was too wide to enter the die. I think the inside of the case still needs just the smallest amount of lube. I only had one of 20 fail, and I only found that out when I chambered the loaded rounds. So I do like the idea re the shot and graphite dip
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 29 Jun 2023, 1:44 pm

This cartridge is begging for speer gold dots me thinks it would be a explosive proposition.
But I think it needs 2205
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 30 Jun 2023, 6:39 pm

deye243 wrote:This cartridge is begging for speer gold dots me thinks it would be a explosive proposition.
But I think it needs 2205

Yeah, so far the only published data is for a limited number of projectiles and.....2205
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 30 Jun 2023, 8:27 pm

Lilgun works OK if you can find it
There was a bloke seling several bottles on ug a while ago .
And 2 1/2 2205 yesterday
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by stihl88 » 19 Jul 2023, 6:40 pm

There's several youtube videos on reloading the .350 Legend, I've not reloaded myself however have gathered some documentation in preparation for it.
I'll be having a go at developing a subsonic load using Trailboss also, will only be useful inside 100 but will still pack a punch.

See attached reload data, case dimensions etc.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
350 Legend Case Dimensions.png
350 Legend Case Dimensions.png (24.4 KiB) Viewed 13499 times
350 Legend SAAMI specs -2021-06-04.pdf
(106.45 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
shootersworldpowder.pdf
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Reloading Data Center _ Hodgdon.pdf
(334.33 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Hornady -350Legend-250gr-sub-x.pdf
(72 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 20 Jul 2023, 12:51 pm

Thanks for that.
I've got reams of info on the thing. I've managed to successfully use 2207...to a point. 25yds, good. 100yards, not so good. I'm going to increase the loads a little, see what happens at 100, then decide. May just have to wait for 2205. I'm using Starline cases which seem pretty good so far. Primers look good, cases are a bit smoky, but what straight wall cases aren't. I'm a bit suss about the Winchester factory 150g Deer Seasons. Primers are flat, and I'm getting someone to look at some spent cases cos I've got a feeling I'm looking at some sort of hairline crack or case separation. Real strange thin, sharp, straight lines, evenly around the case about 1/2 inch from the bottom. Not all, just a few. I've polished out part of one of the lines with 0000 and its only "skin deep". Real strange, unless someone has an answer on that one. I'll post a photo eventually. So, far fun to shoot and if I can get it right will be doing some work. Would I recommend this calibre? Only when we can get our hands on other than the Winchesters or Rugers available at the moment. Would have loved a Howa, but not being brought in yet. Just love a challenge. Reloading preparation is however, tedious. Do not attempt to use .358 Projectiles, and lube the inside of the necks before expanding. Expand just enough to seat to the length you want. I've found that I can seat my proj quite a ways out without problems. I might seat a bit deeper on a few before I up the powder load.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 20 Jul 2023, 11:09 pm

madang55 wrote:Thanks for that.
I've got reams of info on the thing. I've managed to successfully use 2207...to a point. 25yds, good. 100yards, not so good. I'm going to increase the loads a little, see what happens at 100, then decide. May just have to wait for 2205. I'm using Starline cases which seem pretty good so far. Primers look good, cases are a bit smoky, but what straight wall cases aren't. I'm a bit suss about the Winchester factory 150g Deer Seasons. Primers are flat, and I'm getting someone to look at some spent cases cos I've got a feeling I'm looking at some sort of hairline crack or case separation. Real strange thin, sharp, straight lines, evenly around the case about 1/2 inch from the bottom. Not all, just a few. I've polished out part of one of the lines with 0000 and its only "skin deep". Real strange, unless someone has an answer on that one. I'll post a photo eventually. So, far fun to shoot and if I can get it right will be doing some work. Would I recommend this calibre? Only when we can get our hands on other than the Winchesters or Rugers available at the moment. Would have loved a Howa, but not being brought in yet. Just love a challenge. Reloading preparation is however, tedious. Do not attempt to use .358 Projectiles, and lube the inside of the necks before expanding. Expand just enough to seat to the length you want. I've found that I can seat my proj quite a ways out without problems. I might seat a bit deeper on a few before I up the powder load.
Attachments
20230720_164822.jpg
20230720_164822.jpg (415.46 KiB) Viewed 13471 times
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wazza73 » 03 Dec 2023, 7:38 am

I have 3 350 legends. 2 ruger ranch and 1 Smith and Wesson m350 pistol. I do reload and can give you tips as it seems there are a lot of comments of people guessing who have not reloaded it. Firstly do NOT by the Lee dies as they will not full length resize properly. I was lucky to know a gun smith who machined 80 thou off the base to get them to work. Some Lee dies do work. The die actually worked after several resizes in the the Rugers only because the tolerances are pretty big in their machining, but in the pistol they would not chamber as the tolerance’s where to fine. Get your self a case gauge and ammo checker as just like reloading for 9mm etc they are worth their weight in gold sitting next to your press. You have to flare the cases regardless of projectiles being used. They are classed as a straight wall case but they are actually tapered hence you cannot make the brass from 223 brass. Because of this a crimping is required and Lee make the best crimper for this. You have to use .356/.355 projectiles and you cannot use .357 unless they are lead and you squeeze them down to .356. 9mm projectiles are the go but I’m sure the largest are FTXs 147g which are fine to use but a bit light for me. You have to order Hornady 170 grain which are a good hunting round and the only ones available.I have a friend who makes me 265grain lead powder coated projectiles which help with the powder question. I am lucky to have access to a modern powder loading program so the days of if it’s not in a reloaded guide don’t do it are long gone. As 2205 is non existent shot gun powder works fine. I use 7.3 grains Alliant Steel with my 265 grain lead projectiles which averages 1030fps which drops pigs. It’s really cheap to load around 45 cents a round. If I run out of powder I will go to 2207 which is the only ADI powder I would try as it’s the closest to 2205. I don’t like Winchester brass and I reckon Starline brass is way better when reloading this calibre.You would have to use compressed loads with magnum primers to get it to work ok. When I reload I make the round pretty close to Saami max length and they work fine. As long as your round chambers and ejects fine your on the money.
Wazza73
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition