priming tool

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

priming tool

Post by flashman » 04 Jun 2023, 12:57 pm

Hi just saying my Lee hand primer has had it OK that said wont be getting a new one ,and not a fan on press priming ,so what will i go for RCBS , LYMAN, or spend up big and get a sinclrair priming tool..........thanks
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: priming tool

Post by flashman » 04 Jun 2023, 1:11 pm

Just been around the a few web sites and bugger me ,all not so cheap.......... :o
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 04 Jun 2023, 1:54 pm

https://www.brtshooterssupply.com.au/pr ... -seater-2/

I have two of these. They were $155 when I bought them. Two is bit over kill. But I just have one set up to large primers and the other to do small. It’s not the hard to change. But I like the convenience

I started with Lee hand tool and bought the RCBS hand tool (not the universal one) but I like the Forster one the best. I liked it so much I bought two!
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by flashman » 04 Jun 2023, 2:05 pm

Nice ...a bit steep in price ,how dose it proform ????? LEE off press unit looks ok 2 , just cant feel using a press to heavy handed
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 04 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm

Rcbs all the way just wish I could buy the primer trays on their own
Screenshot_20230604_141423_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230604_141423_Gallery.jpg (512.24 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 04 Jun 2023, 4:14 pm

RCBS hand primer, pretty good. Frankford Arsenal have one on the market that you can adjust the seating depth on? But nothing wrong with the RCBS at all.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 04 Jun 2023, 4:33 pm

Spoke to a mate he has a lee bench primer ,it fast and effortlessly and dose a good job ,plus it takes the shell holders i have already ,ok price wise to so we might have a winner , worked out how old my hand primer was 18yrs spose i cant complain ,,,,,,,,,,, :)
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 04 Jun 2023, 4:35 pm

Plus for hunting only not for bench rest
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 04 Jun 2023, 6:19 pm

flashman wrote:Nice ...a bit steep in price ,how dose it proform ????? LEE off press unit looks ok 2 , just cant feel using a press to heavy handed

I like it. Instead of shell holders it has 3 adjustable jaws. That’s probably the main reason I have two. Ones set up to do 308 sized cases (large primer) I do 6.5 creed/7mm 08/30 06/243 on that. The other is set to do 223 sized case which I do 222/223/204 on. I still have my RCBS tool which is set to 6.5 Grendel. The only other case I load is 303 which I prime in the top of the Co Ax press. It has the same jaw setup as the bench priming tool. Which is one at a time. But I don’t load many.

I really like the bench style priming. The Lee will probably be similar and worth a try and a lot cheaper.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 06 Jun 2023, 12:53 am

You can check out my review of the RCBS bench priming tool on my Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E2gJBSEPQI

I have tried a bunch of tools and unless someone can come up with something better I will be using this for a while.

I found the Frankford Arsenal tool to be a piece of crap(did a review on that too). Not a fan of the RCBS hand tool and the newer Lee tools don't seem to be great quality.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 06 Jun 2023, 2:11 am

Funny how opinions can differ I agree on the Frankfurt Arsenal hand primer too clunky too slow just wondering what you found with the RCBS unit you did not like I noticed that they do have to be tuned
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by hunting99 » 06 Jun 2023, 4:23 pm

The RCBS universal for me is the way to go
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 06 Jun 2023, 5:22 pm

I've got a Dillon XL 650 but still do a lot of hand priming for some calibres and I bought one of these a year or so ago and can't believe how impressed I am with it and so much better than the hand ones that can give you carpal tunnel -

90700-01__82051.jpg
90700-01__82051.jpg (44.39 KiB) Viewed 1761 times
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jun 2023, 5:25 pm

If you want cheap. Perhaps the Lee Ram Prime is worth thinking about.

$31 + postage

https://www.ozgunmart.com.au/lee-50-bmg ... 90903~5914

https://youtu.be/ziiX-9ugepQ
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 06 Jun 2023, 11:32 pm

deye243 wrote:Funny how opinions can differ I agree on the Frankfurt Arsenal hand primer too clunky too slow just wondering what you found with the RCBS unit you did not like I noticed that they do have to be tuned

The Frankford Arsenal I found the primers did not feed smoothly or at all due to the materials they used and it appears they machined the primer feed wrong.

I like Frankford Arsenal stuff in general but this was a total piece of crap.

The RCBS hand primer I found a bit clunky to use and a plastic feed piece broke. Never really liked it.

Once I moved to the RCBS bench primer, that's what I was looking for, very easy to use and it works

The Lee bench primer I looked at but people complained about the quality.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 08 Jun 2023, 10:08 am

+1 for the RCBS Universal, but take the tray off it when you store it, otherwise the white plastic cracks after a few years from the stresses.

I also use the Frankford Arsenal Perfect. In fact i'm currently on large rifle, and that's my weekly tool for both TR and SR, in front of the footy.

I have no complaints whatsoever about either of these - both seat well enough for me to shoot possibles.

My RCBS Universal is setup for small rifle, and i'll swing back around to it later in the year, when i come back to the beloved 223 for Service Rifle.

And yes, the plastic Lee hand priming tools break. Best to avoid.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Obie73 » 08 Jun 2023, 12:33 pm

I haven't seen the Hornady hand priming tool mentioned. Anyone got experience with these?
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by northdude » 08 Jun 2023, 3:51 pm

Oldbloke wrote:If you want cheap. Perhaps the Lee Ram Prime is worth thinking about.

$31 + postage

This is what I use cant actually see whats wrong with them, unless you dont have a good feel for mechanical things. Ive actually got 2 one set for lr and one set for sr it does everything
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by in2anity » 08 Jun 2023, 4:47 pm

northdude wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:If you want cheap. Perhaps the Lee Ram Prime is worth thinking about.

$31 + postage

This is what I use cant actually see whats wrong with them, unless you dont have a good feel for mechanical things. Ive actually got 2 one set for lr and one set for sr it does everything

Eventually the spring goes in them. Not to mention they are slow going. But yeah good value
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 08 Jun 2023, 5:51 pm

must take a while I've had mine over 10 years. The spring doesn't look a biggie to sort out if it eventually goes, even a pen spring would probably do it, it only has to hold the cup up
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jun 2023, 7:35 pm

northdude wrote:must take a while I've had mine over 10 years. The spring doesn't look a biggie to sort out if it eventually goes, even a pen spring would probably do it, it only has to hold the cup up

They are same idea as the presses with a priming arm. But you don't need to push it in first.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 08 Jun 2023, 9:53 pm

northdude wrote:must take a while I've had mine over 10 years. The spring doesn't look a biggie to sort out if it eventually goes, even a pen spring would probably do it, it only has to hold the cup up

Sorry that was misleading . Not the coiled spring, the clamping force on the pin that holds it in place. That’s what went on mine anyway, a long way back. Pin kept falling out until i lost it.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 10 Jun 2023, 9:29 am

OK thanks for the imformation having a look around the traps , it seems the problem is finding a shop the has stock of anything at the moment.......... :(
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by flashman » 10 Jun 2023, 10:46 am

HI , been on the web and the only priming tool that is available is the lee ram tool , RCBS bench tool looks good , vids on you tube make the look pretty simple ,it will get me back to reloading again ,only thing is the the bloody postage cost ..............bugger........QLD .....to ..VIC
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wallaby stew » 10 Jun 2023, 10:59 am

in2anity wrote:+1 for the RCBS Universal, but take the tray off it when you store it, otherwise the white plastic cracks after a few years from the stresses.

I also use the Frankford Arsenal Perfect. In fact i'm currently on large rifle, and that's my weekly tool for both TR and SR, in front of the footy.

I have no complaints whatsoever about either of these - both seat well enough for me to shoot possibles.

My RCBS Universal is setup for small rifle, and i'll swing back around to it later in the year, when i come back to the beloved 223 for Service Rifle.

And yes, the plastic Lee hand priming tools break. Best to avoid.

It's a shame about Lee loading tools, I've got an old one and it's really good quality, haven't wanted for anything else. Bought it in a garage sale years ago
Make assumptions from observations
Observe outcomes
Update assumptions
Repeat
Wallaby stew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by flashman » 10 Jun 2023, 6:04 pm

YAAAA Order one Lee ram prime $39 it will keep me going till i can get what i want .......... :?
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 11 Jun 2023, 9:53 am

Once you get the hang of the ram primer they arent that slow. I can prime 20 cases in bugger all time, well not enough to make me want to use something else
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by flashman » 12 Jun 2023, 10:08 am

OK thanks , might buy a LEE C press and have it just set up for the priming stage only as i find priming off the press really dose suck ,slow ,and u don't have the feel ..llike the RCBS bench primer ,even the LEE looks ok ,but down my way all the shops have sweet bugger all............ :shock:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jun 2023, 10:33 am

flashman wrote:OK thanks , might buy a LEE C press and have it just set up for the priming stage only as i find priming off the press really dose suck ,slow ,and u don't have the feel ..llike the RCBS bench primer ,even the LEE looks ok ,but down my way all the shops have sweet bugger all............ :shock:

I think the cheap Lee C press are stronger than they appear. Saw one day on Face ache a video of a bloke FLS 308 cases, almost no lube. It was make a "grinding" noise as he forced them into the FLS die. Lol.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition