primers primers primers!

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: primers primers primers!

Post by deye243 » 09 Aug 2023, 12:29 am

Probably qld as they had heaps of rem 91/2 and 91/2M a month or 2 ago and there going for around $220 a brick all the major shops have of had them .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 09 Aug 2023, 7:56 pm

Vince24 wrote:amd what price do they ask for those primers?
(and what is your region)
thanks
Vincent

Sunshine Coast, and it was $225 a brick from the local small shop. Bigger shops may be a few bucks cheaper, but not worth missing out so I went local while I had the chance.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Apr 2024, 5:02 pm

When is this madness going to end, no local gun shops have them listed as in stock and those who have them in stock are asked a fortune fir them still.
I've broken into my last bricks of large and small now leaving me with about 800 of a each :(
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Apr 2024, 5:14 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:When is this madness going to end, no local gun shops have them listed as in stock and those who have them in stock are asked a fortune fir them still.
I've broken into my last bricks of large and small now leaving me with about 800 of a each :(

That's about how many I have. But it's enough to last a few years.

I was quoted $24 for 100 smalls last week. No latge in stock.

A few new producers starting up and others increasing production.

I'm convinced 12 months it will be back to normal unless more SHTF.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Apr 2024, 5:56 pm

Hopefully the info on production increasing and new manufacturers appearing is true.

I don't like allowing my powder, projectile and primer stocks to fall below 1000 each.
I'm not too keen on stocking up at today's prices.

I'm primarily focusing on rabbits with the .22lr and have stopped all centre fire practice to conserve what I have left.
My gut tells me that the price gouging won't stop even once the shop shelves are full again, hopefully I'm wrong.

My last bricks of primers were $65 /1000
Powder was $100 / kg

Since my last bulk purchase in 2017
Powder is up 50%
Primers are up around 300%
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Apr 2024, 6:34 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Hopefully the info on production increasing and new manufacturers appearing is true.

I don't like allowing my powder, projectile and primer stocks to fall below 1000 each.
I'm not too keen on stocking up at today's prices.

I'm primarily focusing on rabbits with the .22lr and have stopped all centre fire practice to conserve what I have left.
My gut tells me that the price gouging won't stop even once the shop shelves are full again, hopefully I'm wrong.

My last bricks of primers were $65 /1000
Powder was $100 / kg

Since my last bulk purchase in 2017
Powder is up 50%
Primers are up around 300%

Yes gouging could continue for a fair while.

I got lucky and paid $45/1000 abt 4 yrs ago.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 14 Apr 2024, 1:47 am

There is no longer a shortage of primers here in the USA. Many different brands are available. However it is clear the manufacturers are reluctant to let prices go back to pre Covid pricing.

The new Fiocchi plant should be online soon here in the USA, if not already, so I think that will be a major help with competition.

I am doing a string of primer testing on my YT channel. You always hear this primer is hot or cold or soft or hard or good or bad. I'm testing them out to see what the actual data is and how they really work in the end. I'm starting with small pistol primers and using the same exact 9mm load. So far have done CCI, Remington, Winchester primers and will be uploading a video on Federal primers soon. Next up will be Federal Match primers, Sellier & Bellot primers, Fiocchi primers made in Italy and Servicio Adventuras primers from Argentina. I found a source for White River Primers and a few other brands so I will get everything available on the market and try it out.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 14 Apr 2024, 2:18 am

I have used 2000+ Servicio Adventuras primers in my 9mm and am very happy with them and I get roughly the same velocity as my cci primers and the same accuracy.
They are clean for a cheap primer .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 16 Apr 2024, 11:54 am

deye243 wrote:I have used 2000+ Servicio Adventuras primers in my 9mm and am very happy with them and I get roughly the same velocity as my cci primers and the same accuracy.
They are clean for a cheap primer .

Yes, I will be interested to see how they go. I've heard different things on how well they work so we shall see. It will all be documented on my channel. The Federal primer video will be next to release, hopefully I can edit that at night this week and get it released soon.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Vince24 » 18 Apr 2024, 7:34 am

So we have seen soem batches of large rifle primers coming down under, e.g. those White River things or the Indian '34'.

How about the usual suspects, the large rifle primers from Federal, Remington, CCI, Winchester?

Have they been seen anywhere?
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by mickb » 26 Apr 2024, 9:01 pm

I notice even the optimists and their close brethren the apologists are staying off these threads now. Guess its official, we agree we are being screwed. No but hold up, its the war on ukraine doing it, all those shotgun powders and large pistol primers needed for the war effort. Guys toting 44 specials with cowboy action loads :crazy:
Last edited by mickb on 26 Apr 2024, 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 26 Apr 2024, 9:03 pm

mickb wrote:I notice even the optimists and their close brethren the apologists are staying off these threads now. Guess its official, we agree we are being screwed. No but hold up, its the war on ukraine doing it, all those shotgun powders and large pistol primers needed for the war effort. Guys toting 44 specials with cowboy loads :crazy: :lol:

That must be it :-)
I did actually see a Ukranian soldier with a handgun, after losing his rifle when the vehicle he was in was blown up. But I've yet to see any shotguns being used over there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 26 Apr 2024, 9:09 pm

mate I like how a war between two ex soviet dumps, neither even a top 10 size economy is being blamed for super inflation of everything from raw materials to consumer goods globally, Even saw an article that QLD house insurance is effected by the ukraine crisis. :crazy: If people believe this is possible they might as well just just hand all their belongings to the nearest gouging business, cut out the stupid middleman, themselves :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mchughcb » 27 Apr 2024, 4:01 am

mickb wrote:mate I like how a war between two ex soviet dumps, neither even a top 10 size economy is being blamed for super inflation of everything from raw materials to consumer goods globally, Even saw an article that QLD house insurance is effected by the ukraine crisis. :crazy: If people believe this is possible they might as well just just hand all their belongings to the nearest gouging business, cut out the stupid middleman, themselves :lol:

Scomo and Albo have given $1B to the conflict. Which pales into insignificance compared to Snowy Hydro 2.0. Iron ore is heading south while energy costs due to government policy is heading north. Wasn't that long ago Howard blamed bananas for an increase in the cost of living.

Now the Czechs own the primer manufacturer in the USA they can do what they like with the supply and demand curve.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Apr 2024, 7:43 am

mchughcb wrote:
mickb wrote:mate I like how a war between two ex soviet dumps, neither even a top 10 size economy is being blamed for super inflation of everything from raw materials to consumer goods globally, Even saw an article that QLD house insurance is effected by the ukraine crisis. :crazy: If people believe this is possible they might as well just just hand all their belongings to the nearest gouging business, cut out the stupid middleman, themselves :lol:

Scomo and Albo have given $1B to the conflict. Which pales into insignificance compared to Snowy Hydro 2.0. Iron ore is heading south while energy costs due to government policy is heading north. Wasn't that long ago Howard blamed bananas for an increase in the cost of living.

Now the Czechs own the primer manufacturer in the USA they can do what they like with the supply and demand curve.

Zero effect.
This is fairly old news.
https://shoot-on.com/update-czech-compa ... on-brands/

Currently in the US the prices are coming down. At least in part due to some new facilities coming on line.

And when you consider the number of primer manufacturers around the world it's a drop in the ocean.

Winchester (USA)
Hornady (USA)
Federal (USA)
S&B (Czech republic)
Fiochi (Italian)
White river (USA)
CCI (USA)
Remington (USA)
RWS (German)
IMR (USA)
Vihtavuori (Finland)
Servicios Aventuras (Argentina)
O.F.V (Indian)
Lake City (USA)
Ruag (Swiss)
Wolf Ammo (Russian)
Eley (UK)
CBC (Brazil)

Those are just the ones I'm aware of.

The bottom line is we are a small market and manufacturers primarily produce them for ammo manufacturing. Reloaders are at the bottom of the pile.

https://www.powdervalley.com/product-ca ... s/primers/
Last edited by Oldbloke on 27 Apr 2024, 8:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Apr 2024, 8:29 am

Interestingly wolf primers (Russian) are currently for sale in the USA.

https://reloadingdepotusa.com/product/l ... e-primers/

https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/20 ... -wideners/
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 27 Apr 2024, 5:21 pm

Either way.....I, myself, am primed for the availability.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition