primers primers primers!

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

primers primers primers!

Post by JustAnotherShooter » 11 Jul 2023, 5:41 pm

g'day folks, my primers stock is about to finish and I was looking around to buy some .. then I found myself in the same situation I was during covid with powder, there is none!!!
The boys at the gun shop told me they have no idea when primers will be stocked again .. out of curiosity I've called a shop in SA and the bloke on the phone told me no problem we have in stock, looking on internet other shops seems having in in QLD and NSW ..

wondering anyone knows what's going on here in VIC?

happy shooting everyone!
JustAnotherShooter
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: primers primers primers!

Post by GQshayne » 11 Jul 2023, 6:14 pm

None that I know of here, or I would have some.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Jul 2023, 6:17 pm

What type are you looking for?
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by gravel » 11 Jul 2023, 7:22 pm

Is it time to pitch in, hire a bus and run 'East Coast Primer Tours"? Seemed to work for dunny paper.
It's hard for me to act my age, I've never been this old before.
gravel
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 12 Jul 2023, 7:35 pm

I was looking for large rilfe, but did not find any. Local shop said they have no idea when we will see any.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 13 Jul 2023, 2:25 am

I notice here in the USA primer supplies are building up and the three years of sky high prices are falling as the economy here heads into a recession. Prices are starting to drop to $60-$80 a thousand, so hopefully that will mean it will be easier to get primers for everyone soon.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by madang55 » 13 Jul 2023, 5:43 pm

Have made a couple of calls to ADL. Nothing around. I have thought about flying to the states on a shopping trip. However, no matter what I can get my airfare for (not much), You can't carry some things in yr luggage. Powder and primers in particular. Go figure? or ....no ****** sherlock!!!! So that trip is still in the maybe box.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 13 Jul 2023, 9:22 pm

I noticed a few gunshops locally have pretty much evey primer except LR primers which I understand will be sorted shortly.

The sky hasn't fallen in
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 14 Jul 2023, 10:34 am

Billo wrote:I noticed a few gunshops locally have pretty much evey primer except LR primers which I understand will be sorted shortly.

The sky hasn't fallen in

where in NSW and I will do a shopping trip.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Obie73 » 14 Jul 2023, 4:18 pm

I've noticed you can still get SR primers if you look long and hard and are prepared to travel to small traders in far flung places. I understand that for .357 mag rifles you can pretty much interchange SR for SP primers? A guy at my range assures me they're basically the same to all intents and purposes .... but don't quote me on that (or listen to me .... I could be wrong!!)
Obie73
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Jul 2023, 4:30 pm

Obie73 wrote:I've noticed you can still get SR primers if you look long and hard and are prepared to travel to small traders in far flung places. I understand that for .357 mag rifles you can pretty much interchange SR for SP primers? A guy at my range assures me they're basically the same to all intents and purposes .... but don't quote me on that (or listen to me .... I could be wrong!!)

The essential difference is in cup hardness, but even in that there some overlap between the hardest SP primers and the softest SR. At the other end of that scale some SP primers when used in rifles can suffer firing pin indent cratering and even piercing, and in revolvers hard SR primers can cause light strikes in double-action both slow fire and rapid.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 14 Jul 2023, 7:39 pm

Billo wrote:I noticed a few gunshops locally have pretty much evey primer except LR primers which I understand will be sorted shortly.

The sky hasn't fallen in

Shops in my area say they have no knowledge of any being available any time soon.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tilb004 » 15 Jul 2023, 5:48 pm

The sky hasn't fallen in

Ive got lrp but no small swap ya :lol:
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Billo » 15 Jul 2023, 6:56 pm

Tilb004 wrote:

The sky hasn't fallen in

Ive got lrp but no small swap ya :lol:

Meet ya half way mate :lol:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 15 Jul 2023, 7:13 pm

Saw an ad today from Magnum Sports in NSW that had a limited supply of Remington. It was a print ad, so probably out of date by now, but it shows some stock must be about.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2023, 3:34 pm

I saw today. In NZ they are paying up to $1.50 a LR primer.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldgunfan » 19 Jul 2023, 1:06 am

Don’t know if this helps anyone but when I ran out of small pistol primers I used small rifle primers in my 45acp loads. My 45acp lee enfield was piercing some pistol primers but had no issue with the rifle primers. I lightly filed and polished its firing pin and now doesn’t pierce the pistol primers. My 1911 fired the rifle primers just fine but there was a noticeably lighter strike on the rifle primers with the much weaker firing pin inertia of the pistol. Chrono readings of 45acp loads with SPP and SRP are ere nearly identical.
Oldgunfan
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldgunfan » 19 Jul 2023, 1:08 am

I experimented with large pistol primers in my trailboss load 30-06. Ended like I expected it to .. firing pin of my k98 went straight through all 5 primers !
Oldgunfan
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GJP69 » 21 Jul 2023, 10:10 am

For those in nsw Horsley Park had Remington SRP on the 16th. Limit 1000
GJP69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Diamond Jim » 01 Aug 2023, 10:01 pm

I've been reloading for more than 40 years. 25 years ago I started IPSC and started reloading in bulk. Projectiles were about $37/500, Primers about $37/1000 and powder was about $37/500g.
Prior to Covid-19, Projectiles were about $70/500, primers were about $70/1000 and powder was about $70/500g.
Forward two years and the last I asked, primers (small pistol - if you can find them) are running at about $170/1000!!!!!! WTF? Powder is unobtanium, projectiles - who knows?
Who is profiteering? Where are SSAA and the other shooting lobbyists?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 01 Aug 2023, 10:21 pm

Projectiles are $75/500 primers I got were $170/1000 sp and powder I bought a couple of months ago was $120 a pound .
I bought as much as I could get because regardless of what the optimist people think shooting is not going to get cheaper and now I have enough to see me out .
There is stuff out there you just have to be prepared to drive and get it .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Diamond Jim » 03 Aug 2023, 3:36 pm

Latest update in Perth metro one store is asking $24/100 for small pistol primers. That's $240/1000! Profiteering?
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 03 Aug 2023, 3:43 pm

Diamond Jim wrote:Latest update in Perth metro one store is asking $24/100 for small pistol primers. That's $240/1000! Profiteering?

Nope $220 here in vic just a simple case of the importers profiting not the shops as I have seen some invoices.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AS30N » 04 Aug 2023, 7:01 am

Upto about 12 months ago I was still able to LPP and SRP for under $100/1000 and I bought several thousand dollars worth of them. I now ran my LPP in my K98k with a modified firing pin and weaker spring (costs about $50). I just put them in the bolt of any large ring Mauser I intend to shoot for the day. SRP goes into my 9mm with a harder mainspring.

Now SRP's seem to have dry up (thanks to us pistol shooters) but still lots of LPP out there at decent price. Just shop around. And I finally got a hi cal permit just because I have enough LPP, but then realised that a light 44 load still uses twice as much powder as light 38 load and trice of as much as 32 target load so I ended up getting an air pistol too.

Now I just have to explain to my wife why I "need" to shoot so often, 4 each of Cat A/B, 22, centerfire, air, high cal every year.
AS30N
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 04 Aug 2023, 11:04 am

The vic market has had delivery of srp from RUAG and they work in my pistols as well as my 223 so all good there
Last edited by deye243 on 07 Aug 2023, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2023, 1:34 pm

deye243 wrote:
Diamond Jim wrote:Latest update in Perth metro one store is asking $24/100 for small pistol primers. That's $240/1000! Profiteering?

Nope $220 here in vic just a simple case of the importers profiting not the shops as I have seen some invoices.

Have you seen the importers invoices to know what their landed costs are?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 04 Aug 2023, 2:13 pm

Nope bt I know what the price in the states so yes we get the oz tax from the importers.
Yanks get a brick for $68 delivered that's nore than 3x the price for us .
On average We only pay double yank prices normally
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 07 Aug 2023, 2:49 am

bladeracer wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Have you seen the importers invoices to know what their landed costs are?

In my line of work yes. The costs at every level are getting higher, the fatcats at the top are the main ones benefitting but there is also a lot of profiteering going on lower down. Covid shelved a lot of anti-monopolisation , fair trading and price gouging laws at the time. Now the disaster is well over the application of these normal laws is still very slipshod and less regulated than it should be. Quite disturbing and its hitting average Aussies in the supermarket, hardware store, AG shop etc.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 08 Aug 2023, 7:40 pm

Looks like some of the Remington LR primers have filtered into my area. My local shop has some, so I have asked them to put a lot aside for me. Seems you can only buy 1000 of them now, rather than 100 like I used to get. Better than having none.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Vince24 » 08 Aug 2023, 9:06 pm

amd what price do they ask for those primers?
(and what is your region)
thanks
Vincent
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition