Priming tools.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Priming tools.

Post by GQshayne » 04 Aug 2023, 8:12 pm

Deciding to improve my methods on priming, I recently bought a Primer Pocket Uniformer. Pre-set to cut to SAAMI spec, hard to go wrong I thought. Except it cuts pockets deeper than their max spec, and when primers are properly seated they are below spec. No good for a finicky lever action. It is being returned for a refund.

So, I figured I would get an adjustable one to do the job. This looks good.

https://www.brtshooterssupply.com.au/pr ... uniformer/

Has anyone used one of these, and have any problems with it??

Next job, getting a hand primer. I have always used my press, which is also not the best way to do it. I have issues with lack of strength and pain in my hands, so squeezing a hand primer is something I will need to avoid. I would rather use my press. But I have seen one of these for sale, and they look pretty good too.

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collec ... tool-90700

Anyone used one of these and have anything to comment on?

Cheers,
Shayne
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Priming tools.

Post by bladeracer » 04 Aug 2023, 8:34 pm

GQshayne wrote:Deciding to improve my methods on priming, I recently bought a Primer Pocket Uniformer. Pre-set to cut to SAAMI spec, hard to go wrong I thought. Except it cuts pockets deeper than their max spec, and when primers are properly seated they are below spec. No good for a finicky lever action. It is being returned for a refund.

So, I figured I would get an adjustable one to do the job. This looks good.

https://www.brtshooterssupply.com.au/pr ... uniformer/

Has anyone used one of these, and have any problems with it??

Next job, getting a hand primer. I have always used my press, which is also not the best way to do it. I have issues with lack of strength and pain in my hands, so squeezing a hand primer is something I will need to avoid. I would rather use my press. But I have seen one of these for sale, and they look pretty good too.

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collec ... tool-90700

Anyone used one of these and have anything to comment on?

Cheers,
Shayne

I used to use a couple of commercial primer pocket uniformers, one a Lyman, can't recall the other off the top of my head. But I bought one made by a machinist in the US which I love. It's a simple piece of hex bar with a hole in each end to take small and large pocket cutters. Depth is set via a lock screw in the side. Very simple, easy to handle, easy to fit into a drill, easy to adjust depth. I don't believe he makes them anymore but it wouldn't be hard to make for anybody with a lathe.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 04 Aug 2023, 10:12 pm

Yes, a simple tool really. A lathe is not part of my workshop unfortunately. The 21st Century uniformer is not overly expensive for what it is though (just my opinion), so happy to pay that. Most reloading stuff lasts a lifetime. It does both small and large rifle too. The hand held tools I am returning were $60, so this one seems good to me.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 04 Aug 2023, 10:18 pm

On the subject of bench priming tools, Forster make one as do RCBS. The Forster is about $20 more expensive than the Lee (including the special shell holders you need), and the RCBS is about $275 (ouch!).

The RCBS and the Forster both use the tube system to feed the primers, which I have on my press. I do not like it all that much as it is fiddly to use. To be fair, the Forster system is better then the RCBS though from reviews I have seen. But the Lee uses a tray, which also sorts the primers right way up in a few seconds. Looks like a very good system.

Anyhow, if anyone has used one and has an opinion, please let me know.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 08 Aug 2023, 7:47 pm

Righto, 21st Century Primer Pocket Uniformer, and Forster Co-Ax Bench Priming tool are on their way to me.

The Uniformer was an easy decision, so not too much thought went into it. After the pre-set tool turned out be be useless, it was the only other option that looks to do what I want.

The priming tool was a different matter, and after much reading and further thought I decided on the Forster. The Lee looks to be an excellent design in terms of functionality, but has a few plastic parts in it, that people manage to break. The Forster is a very old design from what I read about it, no plastic parts, and looks very strong. It is about $70 dearer than the Lee, but I will only ever need one.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition