Over pressure

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Over pressure

Post by JohnV » 07 Aug 2023, 2:10 pm

It is not helpful to start treating H4895 as though it was identical with IMR4895 . It just confuses the issue and could cause problems .
Use ADI reloading data for AR2206H and Hodgdon data for H4895 and use http://www.IMRReloading.com for IMR 4895 . Even though they list all three as a "similar " powder there is differences and it shows up in certain powder loads sometimes .
H4895 at the moment is AR2206H .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 07 Aug 2023, 2:46 pm

JohnV wrote:It is not helpful to start treating H4895 as though it was identical with IMR4895 . It just confuses the issue and could cause problems .
Use ADI reloading data for AR2206H and Hodgdon data for H4895 and use http://www.IMRReloading.com for IMR 4895 . Even though they list all three as a "similar " powder there is differences and it shows up in certain powder loads sometimes .
H4895 at the moment is AR2206H .

I don't think there any differences between ADI's data and Hodgdon's data with the same powders.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 07 Aug 2023, 2:54 pm

I am talking about potential to confuse new reloaders . The data I have , Hodgdon does not give starting loads ADI does .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 20 Aug 2023, 8:24 am

deye243 wrote:Not my experience in 40 years of using this powder and it's predecessor 2206 gets down to to -3 at times and the hottest I have used this powder is 37 nowhere near how hot it gets in summer but no problems.
Now I understand the caution thing but stop telling this bloke to load his 223 to less than 222r velocity.
This is the reason I like US forums they know how to hand load not reload .
Every rifle is different .

Yes every rifle is different so your generic advice is the dangerous advice . AR2206 does increase pressure with heat but it does it way less than some others . It's not just pressure that can change it can also change the accuracy .
Starting low first is always a good thing for a learner . He does not even know how to asses pressure yet but you are advocating to chase max pressures . The average US shooter is the worst reloader out there they blow up rifles galore . Why do you think they push AR2208 ( Varget ) as the best powder for 223 in the US ? Because you can't overload with it even if you fill the case full .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition