Case Cleaning

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Case Cleaning

Post by madang55 » 11 Aug 2023, 10:14 am

Tumbler or Sonic Cleaner?
Can you clean old loaded CF rounds in either? Same for primed cases?
When I say old, I mean stuff that has been sitting around for a few months and aint very shiny anymore.
I have a sonic and have a tumbler on the way.
Seems a lot of work with the sonic, but the wife loves it for her jewellery.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Case Cleaning

Post by deye243 » 11 Aug 2023, 11:34 am

I gave up on cleaning brass a couple of years ago and I have not noticed a change in accuracy or anything else for that matter .
This case has 16 firings and all is good .
Screenshot_20230811_113247_Gallery_copy_1024x478.jpg
Screenshot_20230811_113247_Gallery_copy_1024x478.jpg (124.4 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2023, 12:19 pm

Hehe you should see my comp brass - most it gets is an isopropyl wipe. They still bring home gongs, if i'm doing my part. My only observation is that you need to clean your dies regularly.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2023, 1:05 pm

deye243 wrote:I gave up on cleaning brass a couple of years ago and I have not noticed a change in accuracy or anything else for that matter .
This case has 16 firings and all is good .
Screenshot_20230811_113247_Gallery_copy_1024x478.jpg

This^^^^^

You don't need to.

But I use an Aldi ultrasonic with abt 75% water and 25%vinegar plus a squirt of dish washing liquid. Abt 5 minutes.

Rinse well when clean.

I'll correct my self. Only EMPTY case/brass. NOT primed or loaded.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 11 Aug 2023, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2023, 2:42 pm

madang55 wrote:Tumbler or Sonic Cleaner?
Can you clean old loaded CF rounds in either? Same for primed cases?
When I say old, I mean stuff that has been sitting around for a few months and aint very shiny anymore.
I have a sonic and have a tumbler on the way.
Seems a lot of work with the sonic, but the wife loves it for her jewellery.

I've never cleaned my brass.
I wouldn't clean ammo in any liquid (it's likely to get inside), but you could probably clean it dry in a tumbler if you need to.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 11 Aug 2023, 3:21 pm

???

Is the OP asking if you can tumble or sonic clean LOADED rounds; same as unprimed cases?
If I've read that right, then my answer would be a very strong "NO" on all counts.

If it's a sonic cleaner, you have the likely possibility of water ingress causing misfires, or (even worse) hangfires.
If it's a wet tumbler, you have the likely possibility of water ingress causing misfires/hangfires, AND possible primer impact causing a cartridge to fire.
If it's a dry tumbler, then you have the possibility of primer impact causing a cartridge to fire.

Not sure about anyone else, but my reloading has a strong focus on minimising risk, and I dont think cleaning loaded ammo (as the OP asked), is doing that.
Surely there are simpler, lower-risk methods of cleaning loaded cartridges?
If 'Pretty' is important, then fire them off and wet-tumble the brass?
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Jorlcrin » 11 Aug 2023, 3:51 pm

Ooops...My bad.
A web search suggests that many people do indeed dry tumble their loaded ammo, and that some ammo manufacturers do it for a few minutes to remove any residues left on the cartridge after loading.

No-one mentioned risk of setting off a primer, so maybe I'm just paranoid.
SOME sites suggest the tumbling (Vibrations) affected the powder in the case(and thus altering burn time), but it'd have to be tumbling for quite a long time to occur.
I still wouldnt wet-tumble or Ultrasonic clean due to risk of water ingress.

However, I'd still suggest something simpler; some forums seem to recommend Break-Free CLP on a rag, but avoid the primer.
Also saw people mention rubbing alcohol or Motor Spirit on a towel.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2023, 7:27 pm

One of these.

tempFileForShare_20230811-185601_61701673372984.jpg
tempFileForShare_20230811-185601_61701673372984.jpg (108.29 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 11 Aug 2023, 9:26 pm

Well...that settles that question.....I think....tumble loaded stuff at yr own risk, sonic...nah don't
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 12 Aug 2023, 3:00 pm

For fired cases I am big on wet tumbling. I prefer to get cases clean and shiny again, helps to easily spot flaws and case splits or other issues.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jorlcrin » 12 Aug 2023, 4:48 pm

Thats my reason for wet tumbling fired cases as well; having the cases nice and shiny so my ageing eyes can see any cracks or imminent failures in the brass.

I'd be lying to say there isnt satisfaction in seeing nice shiny brass, but my main reason is for the ease of picking up rejects.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by johnblackpigs » 12 Aug 2023, 7:53 pm

Amazing response re cleaning cases. Taking just fired and deprimed cases ,into sonic ckeaner ,with tsp of creme of tartar and enough water to cover ,results are absolutely thoroughly clean, dry carefully, economical and quick. Cases as shiny inside as outside.
johnblackpigs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by johnblackpigs » 12 Aug 2023, 7:54 pm

Amazing response re cleaning cases. Taking just fired and deprimed cases ,into sonic ckeaner ,with tsp of creme of tartar and enough water to cover ,results are absolutely thoroughly clean, dry carefully, economical and quick. Cases as shiny inside as outside.
johnblackpigs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Aug 2023, 8:26 pm

johnblackpigs wrote:Amazing response re cleaning cases. Taking just fired and deprimed cases ,into sonic ckeaner ,with tsp of creme of tartar and enough water to cover ,results are absolutely thoroughly clean, dry carefully, economical and quick. Cases as shiny inside as outside.

He's asking about cleaning ammunition, and primed brass, not empty cases.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 12 Aug 2023, 8:38 pm

Well, I am asking about cleaning cases, but wondering re the primed ones. I like my cases clean. I have a sonic, but time and stuffing around drying etc. I have a de-humidifier $40 Aldi, which works a treat, but if I can get the same result in a tumbler without the water aerobics I'm a happy chap.
Oh, and yeah......no-one told me about the different primer sizes, that was a surprise when I was sorting out some used cases I came across.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 Aug 2023, 9:17 pm

Dry tumbling only cleans the outside and does not clean the primer pocket or the inside of the case .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 12 Aug 2023, 10:38 pm

20230811_172013.jpg
20230811_172013.jpg (468.19 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
madang55 wrote:Well, I am asking about cleaning cases, but wondering re the primed ones. I like my cases clean. I have a sonic, but time and stuffing around drying etc. I have a de-humidifier $40 Aldi, which works a treat, but if I can get the same result in a tumbler without the water aerobics I'm a happy chap.
Oh, and yeah......no-one told me about the different primer sizes, that was a surprise when I was sorting out some used cases I came across.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 13 Aug 2023, 7:34 am

Wet tumbling is the way to go if you want clean and shiny brass. Tumbling with the pins will clean inside and out of the case and the primer pockets also making the brass look better than new shiny wise.
I also have an ultrasonic it will really only clean off dirt in my experience rather than clean off stains or tarnish I have not been able to get really shiny cases even when using mixes containing different acids. I just dont think there is enough movement to achieve good results.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JohnV » 13 Aug 2023, 8:23 pm

Dirty brass puts extra wear and tear on your dies and chamber . If you do ever get a stuck case in a die or a rifle chamber a dirty case makes it even harder to get out . If you just want a quick clean up without all the tumblers etc. Buy some CLR from the supermarket or hardware and put a cup full into a liter of " warm " water , not boiling . Mix them around in that and most of the patina will come off . Rinse twice in warm water then dry with hair dryer .
It's mainly sulfamic acid so it does not harden or hurt the brass . Don't store and reuse the mixture because after a while it will hydrolyze to a stronger acid .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by madang55 » 17 Aug 2023, 11:49 am

And, while we're on the subject...I've got some Bertram projectiles coming. Apparently they're not shiny (pretty) like the big commercial brands. Could I give a few of those a quick dry tumble and see if improves the look? Or, those who have used Bertrams, are they that different?
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 17 Aug 2023, 12:12 pm

Bertram look like they are just guilding metal ( Copper Zinc mix ) jackets so normal cleaning would work except for any soft nose bullet , Tumbling can damage the soft nose and ding up the lead . In that case just use the CLR wash method above and no chance of damaging any lead nose . It's not an experimental idea I have been using it to clean empty jackets and finished bullets for decades .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by deye243 » 17 Aug 2023, 1:05 pm

White vinegar got this a Berger tech
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 17 Aug 2023, 1:26 pm

White vinegar is very weak organic acid and very slow . CLR is very quick because it's sulphamic acid . You don't want to be soaking the bullets too long using vinegar as moisture can seep into the jackets edges at the nose .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Aug 2023, 1:30 pm

I have successfully cleaned bullets in sonic cleaner using same recipe I use for cases.

To prevent further corrosion I now oil the bullets while in storage.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 17 Aug 2023, 1:45 pm

OB surely copper just tarnishes though? I.e. the performance of the pill would never dimish even with oxidation? I don't see the point of oiling pills furthermore, if they are oiled you have to then clean them again, else run the risk of introducing oil into the chamber at an inopportune time...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Aug 2023, 2:02 pm

in2anity wrote:OB surely copper just tarnishes though? I.e. the performance of the pill would never dimish even with oxidation? I don't see the point of oiling cartridges furthermore, if they are oiled you have to then clean them again else run the risk of introducing oil into the chamber at an inopportune time...

I think your right, tarnish is a better description.

As far as oiling goes all I do (and this is for expected long periods) dump say 300 in a small zip lock bag with a few drops of light oil. Give a good shake and store, as is.
When loading, just rub 30- 40 at a time in clean cloth to remove bulk of oil. (TBH I don't think there is enough oil to worry about anyway)
Easy, peasy, and they stay shiny. :)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 17 Aug 2023, 11:40 pm

Having access to a vacuum sealer is great. I just give em a quick spray with WD40 and suck the life out of the bag. Will stay sealed indefinitely.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 18 Aug 2023, 4:36 am

Ive cleaned loaded rounds in a tumbler. Far out if you have a tumbler that sets rounds off you must get quite a lot of damaged brass as well....
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JohnV » 18 Aug 2023, 9:38 am

One would think that it's impossible for a primer to detonate while sitting stationary in a metal tube on a reloading press . But it has happened . Impact is not the only way a primer can go off .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by northdude » 24 Aug 2023, 11:56 am

Better be carefull carrying ammo in my pocket then. Anyone ever had one go off in their pocket
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition