Tips for picking out a reloading bench

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Tips for picking out a reloading bench

Post by ArchangelBlu » 21 Aug 2023, 5:30 am

I'm getting into reloading and looking for a reloading bench. I have zero DIY skills and will set my house on fire assembling ikea furniture so buying a bench off the shelf is in my best interests. I bought one off bunnings and table is too wibbly wobbly to use for reloading.

Question is, what do you do to test tables before buying them and what are you looking for? I plan to give it a good shake and see how much it wibble wobbles
ArchangelBlu
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Tips for picking out a reloading bench

Post by JohnV » 04 Sep 2023, 8:53 pm

Go to a secondhand furniture shop and buy an old solid small dinning room table . If sizing for larger cases mount the press at the end over a leg so it don't flex as you pull down . If the edge of the table overhangs too much cut it back with a circular saw but you need some overhang if you use g clamps to mount a press . If you are bolting the press in place then you may have to cut it back more or less to suit the bolt holes . You can always just cut a section out where the press is .
A dining table is usually about right height for sitting in a chair while reloading . Do away with FLS dies with expander balls , Separate the body size and neck size operations that will reduce sizing force needed in each operation making it easier to reload sitting down . I can body size a 223 case with two fingers on the press handle .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by womble » 05 Sep 2023, 3:36 am

Would the dining table we already own be ok ?
It’s a nice room
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 05 Sep 2023, 12:52 pm

womble wrote:Would the dining table we already own be ok ?
It’s a nice room

ANY dining table is immediately upgraded and improved by fitting a reloading press to it
Your version of domestic harmony may or may not be improved post installation.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 05 Sep 2023, 1:54 pm

Personally i used a old work bech for years i eventually cracked it and bought a roll cab mounted the press to the tool box and use it now as my reloading bench. Everything has its place and most importantly easily lockable.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2023, 2:21 pm

Something like this. Solid timber top, 4 legs, not the ones with leg in middle. Try the salvos etc.

Resized_tempFileForShare_20230905-141731_19577615195935.jpeg
Resized_tempFileForShare_20230905-141731_19577615195935.jpeg (253.88 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 05 Sep 2023, 4:37 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Something like this. Solid timber top, 4 legs, not the ones with leg in middle. Try the salvos etc.

Resized_tempFileForShare_20230905-141731_19577615195935.jpeg

That's what I am talking about . That would make a good bench and you can fit draw sets at the back of the table and still have plenty of bench space .
Weight at the back of the bench also counteracts press leverage on the front edge . Most commercial reloading benches and ideas lack room to spread things out because they were designed by people who don't reload . You may also want to mount another press and a powder measure along the edge .
You will be surprised on how much stuff you will eventually use , tins of powder , primers , packets of bullets , case cleaning and prep gear , case tumbler , powder dribbler , powder measure , scales , die boxes , case holders etc . and you don't want to be going back and forth all the time to get the stuff you need for a reloading session .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2023, 6:51 pm

The 6 person table would be great. Probably get away with a 4 person fine. Key being it be fairly solid and 4 good legs. Look around there are other options.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Sep 2023, 6:58 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 05 Sep 2023, 8:10 pm

I would be buying a proper steel work bench.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by perentie » 06 Sep 2023, 6:57 am

Oldbloke wrote:This might be an option.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-54 ... h_p0145138

You cant get your knees under it when sitting down.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jorlcrin » 06 Sep 2023, 7:18 am

Given the OP doesnt want to do any DIY, then I'd be suggesting a pre-built steel frame bench with a wood top.

I have the 1800mm long 'Garage' version of the Pinnacle bench from Bunnings(Dont think they sell my model any more).
Its a great bench for my needs, but if the OP wants pre-assembled, then it's out..
I like the huge open area underneath; it means that I didnt need the overhang that JohnV mentions.
Also; mine came with an MDF benchtop, and while I'm still using it 5 years later, I'll soon replace it with a heavy sheet of MarinePly or hardwood.
Shelves underneath might be handy, but depends on whether you plan to stand in front, or sit partially underneath it(As JohnV suggested for using a Dining Table).
One huge benefit of metal frame(I find) is using large magnets to 'stick' various tools to the edge of the bench.
Even use a small pair of disc magnets to hold my calipers when I'm checking case length and COAL.
If you go wood frame, then getting them to stick is a bit harder.

For me, I use a stool in front of my presses, but my knees are protruding under the bench slightly.
Having that overhang so I dont knock my knees continually, is a saviour for me.

Machinery House have some nice-looking steel work-benches: https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/work-bench
Nearest store is outside Melbourne, but they are pretty good on freight(I've found).
A lot of their benches have the option of various back-boards; somewhere to set up work bins and/or tools.
And some of their benches have 'drawer modules', if you choose to add some under-bench storage.

Kincrome do make what looks to be a pre-assembled work bench, but no idea on how solid it is.
Looks to be a clone of the Pinnacle(Bunnings) one I have, though possibly sold assembled.

One final thought for the OP; Reloading is arguably the ultimate in DIY, so you might have to embrace your inner Handyperson!
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 06 Sep 2023, 8:24 am

I also don't like the Bunnings bench because you can't sit down and reload , your forced to stand up or sit sideways . No good for experimenting and doing stuff like accuracy case prep and neck turning etc. that takes a bit of time and practice . You may think you won't be doing that but you might later on . Standing up all the time will causes you to rush the job and that's dangerous .
There might be other work benches that you can get your legs under it and they could be suitable .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm

perentie wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:This might be an option.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-54 ... h_p0145138

You cant get your knees under it when sitting down.

I noticed that too. My mistake, thought it was higher to suit standing position. A higher version would be ok. My set up is standing. Horses for courses. I do think the solid table is best option tho.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 07 Sep 2023, 5:20 pm

I use a bunnings bench and it excellent but to not hurt the bench top I simply got an off it of a big pine plank and g clamped it to the bench. Then used big roofing screws to screw the press to the off cut. It spreads the load over a much bigger area and doesn’t mark the bench top. Zero flex a d easily packed away if needed.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 07 Sep 2023, 7:55 pm

I think most normal tables that can be bought for a modest price will either flex, or will move, under the load of an O frame press when FLSing. I have a workbench with the top made from railway sleepers and it still moves a bit.

A nice steel bench that can be anchored to the floor or a wall will be my next reloading bench. And it will be in two sections, so that any work by presses can be separated from scales etc.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 08 Sep 2023, 8:42 am

GQshayne wrote:I think most normal tables that can be bought for a modest price will either flex, or will move, under the load of an O frame press when FLSing. I have a workbench with the top made from railway sleepers and it still moves a bit.

A nice steel bench that can be anchored to the floor or a wall will be my next reloading bench. And it will be in two sections, so that any work by presses can be separated from scales etc.

If you mount the press directly above one leg on the right for a right hander that will stop it flexing too much . If you do away with FLS dies completely and use two separate dies , one neck size only and the other a body die the sizing force required is greatly reduced . If your loading for very large cartridges then a stronger bench would be good .
Scales should only be used to set the powder measure but I agree that too much vibration on any powder measuring device is not good . This is one of the reasons I invented the body die back in 1968 so I could just g clamp a press to any place I wanted and reload . Are you lubricating your cases because it sure sounds like your working the guts out of your cases .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Sep 2023, 10:41 am

For someone starting out there is no need to get too carried away. Any sold table or desk will do from local second hand shop. It won't be perfect, but likely cheap. Then if you get keen and happy to spend the money simply upgrade later. And you wont be in a hurry so you will have time to shop around.

You can try:
Facebook
Gumtree
Auctions
Friends, relatives
Local council recycling shop
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 08 Sep 2023, 3:32 pm

I would rather put the extra money into better reloading dies and press rather than a costly custom bench . The only press I have that is bolted down to my heavy safe and at standing height is for occasional jacket drawing because that does take a lot more force . Every other press including bullet swaging presses I just G Clamp them to a table because I don't want them all out all the time getting rusty as I live near salt water . The best thing you can do for your ease of reloading for a bolt action rifle is throw the FLS size die in the garbage bin and buy better designed dies .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 08 Sep 2023, 8:02 pm

JohnV wrote:
GQshayne wrote:I think most normal tables that can be bought for a modest price will either flex, or will move, under the load of an O frame press when FLSing. I have a workbench with the top made from railway sleepers and it still moves a bit.

If you mount the press directly above one leg on the right for a right hander that will stop it flexing too much . If you do away with FLS dies completely and use two separate dies , one neck size only and the other a body die the sizing force required is greatly reduced . If your loading for very large cartridges then a stronger bench would be good .
Scales should only be used to set the powder measure but I agree that too much vibration on any powder measuring device is not good . This is one of the reasons I invented the body die back in 1968 so I could just g clamp a press to any place I wanted and reload . Are you lubricating your cases because it sure sounds like your working the guts out of your cases .

I full length resize most of my loads, and will continue to do so as that is my preference. I use a beam scale to weigh every charge. No reason to change that method either. My bench is more solid than any normal table would be, but it does move a bit. I would rather it didn't.

Eventually, I will have a dedicated space for loading and will get or make a steel bench for it. My current bench has to do normal work, so it is a compromise. I would really like to have everyhting set up permanently.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Sep 2023, 8:14 pm

The OP has not returned.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 09 Sep 2023, 8:38 am

GQshayne wrote:I full length resize most of my loads, and will continue to do so as that is my preference. I use a beam scale to weigh every charge. No reason to change that method either. My bench is more solid than any normal table would be, but it does move a bit. I would rather it didn't.

I don't think you understand how the combination of a body die and neck die works . You are still sizing all the brass , the neck and the body but doing it in two steps without any expander ball , which "greatly " reduces the leverage needed . Also allows more precise sizing operations and reduces brass work hardening and neck stretching . Also if you ever got a case stuck which almost never happens in a body die but if you did it is child's play to just punch it out with a rod and hammer .
I reload up to 30-06 and swage bullets on an old dining room table with no issues partly because I don't use old fashioned dies . If you are case forming or jacket drawing then yes you need a stronger bench setup.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2023, 9:08 am

Lol. The OP has not returned.
In addition he is just starting out and no mention of target comp shooting. No mention of extending brass life. And not very good at DIY.

He just needs the basic info to get started, not drowned in technical stuff. Just confuses newbie's.

Most just
FLS or neck size.

Any solid bench desk or table will work to get started. Not perfect, but work.

I've heard of people using these for shooting bench. Would be ok for reloading too I think.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/citeco-1150 ... m_p0419895
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 09 Sep 2023, 1:49 pm

Trying to update someones knowledge is not drowning anybody and it's not comp only techniques either .
If the guy is bending a " Railway sleeper " when resizing then something is not optimal .
Always seem to have the most trouble in a thread when you start trying to save people money .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 09 Sep 2023, 1:55 pm

Trying to update someones knowledge is not drowning anybody and it's not comp only techniques either .
If the guy is bending a " Railway sleeper " when resizing then something is not very optimal .
What's wrong with using something better and more modern . The expander ball type die dates back to around 1880 .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GQshayne » 09 Sep 2023, 7:23 pm

I doubt Popeye could bend a railway sleeper. I am certainly not bending the ones on my bench top. But is the bench totally solid? No, it moves.

Oldbloke I have one of those platforms, and you can move it with one finger. It also rocks side to side as the legs have some movement in the linkages. Timber table would be better.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2023, 7:26 pm

JohnV wrote:Trying to update someones knowledge is not drowning anybody and it's not comp only techniques either .
If the guy is bending a " Railway sleeper " when resizing then something is not very optimal .
What's wrong with using something better and more modern . The expander ball type die dates back to around 1880 .

Your not updating anything.

Your telling them it's technical and complicated. If it sounds complicated they will not even start.

When infact it can be very simple.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 09 Sep 2023, 7:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
JohnV wrote:Trying to update someones knowledge is not drowning anybody and it's not comp only techniques either .

Your not updating anything.

Your telling them it's technical and complicated. If it sounds complicated they will not even start.

When infact it can be very simple.

Rubbish .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2023, 7:39 pm

JohnV wrote:
GQshayne wrote:I full length resize most of my loads, and will continue to do so as that is my preference. I use a beam scale to weigh every charge. No reason to change that method either. My bench is more solid than any normal table would be, but it does move a bit. I would rather it didn't.

I don't think you understand how the combination of a body die and neck die works . You are still sizing all the brass , the neck and the body but doing it in two steps without any expander ball , which "greatly " reduces the leverage needed . Also allows more precise sizing operations and reduces brass work hardening and neck stretching . Also if you ever got a case stuck which almost never happens in a body die but if you did it is child's play to just punch it out with a rod and hammer .
I reload up to 30-06 and swage bullets on an old dining room table with no issues partly because I don't use old fashioned dies . If you are case forming or jacket drawing then yes you need a stronger bench setup.

I was refering to this.
All he heeds to know is about FLS and neck sizing. A kit, bench, components.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition