Reloading

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading

Post by 6878mm » 11 Sep 2023, 4:13 am

Does anybody have any idea or information whe this powder and primer shortage will ease?
What is the reasons for it
Not gossip, facts

Cheers
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Reloading

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2023, 2:13 pm

6878mm wrote:Does anybody have any idea or information whe this powder and primer shortage will ease?
Not gossip, facts

Cheers

No idea on primers as I haven't really been following that, so I have no idea what is driving it. ADI responded to an email last month saying they don't expect to be producing the fast powders until at least the end of '24, and I think they're being very optimistic with that.

The common rifle powders are generally still available, though recently there have been some glitches in supply.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tassiebloke » 11 Sep 2023, 4:46 pm

all the normal rifle powders are pretty readily available in most places.
in terms of primers - i have no clue as to what's causing it or when it will end. a mate of mine says that there are some shops around the place that occasionally stock large rifle and magnum rifle primers for very short periods of time, although i am yet to find one of these shops myself...maybe my mate is dreaming...come to think of it, he definitely is.
Tassiebloke
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2023, 8:24 pm

bladeracer wrote:
6878mm wrote:Does anybody have any idea or information whe this powder and primer shortage will ease?
Not gossip, facts

Cheers

No idea on primers as I haven't really been following that, so I have no idea what is driving it. ADI responded to an email last month saying they don't expect to be producing the fast powders until at least the end of '24, and I think they're being very optimistic with that.

The common rifle powders are generally still available, though recently there have been some glitches in supply.

Sounds about right.

Primers: a few new production lines have started up in US and EU and Sth America recently. Sooo, one would expect the shortage will be resolved,,,,soon,,,????? But I give no guarantees.

Edit: this type of thing seems to happen every 5-6 years. Everyone panics. Better to just stock up when prices are good IMO.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 11 Sep 2023, 10:15 pm

21,000,000 new gun owners in the US right before the their last election plus a war in Eastern Europe would do it for both primers and powder.
With our pee in the ocean sized market we’re the bottom of the supply chain.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 12 Sep 2023, 1:03 am

Primers are not as much an issue here in the USA anymore. They are available but prices are still high. We've got CCI, Remington, Fiocchi, Aguila, Federal and Unix available.

Powder is also widely available. A few things are out of stock here and there. Mostly powder isn't outrageously priced.

Also due to economic conditions here gun sales have dropped off and right now there are crazy deals on guns. I think people just don't have the money anymore and supplies of everything with guns has gone up and demand has gone down.

So there is stuff being produced, it's just a matter of companies importing it into Australia.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition