Vectan C7 - No Load Data

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Vectan C7 - No Load Data

Post by Shamas » 29 Sep 2023, 10:49 am

Hey all,

New member here :)

I managed to get my hands on a small bottle of Vectan C7 powder, but I can't find any load data anywhere for it. When I purchased it from my LGS, I was told it was pistol powder, but what little information I could find about it says it's shotgun powder. AFAIK, Shotgun powder can be used in smaller pistol calibres such as 9mm, but is a bit too fast burning for larger calibres, is this correct?

Does anyone has experience reloading with this powder? I am hoping to develop a 9mm load and possibly a low-powered 357mag load, so that I can conserve my dwindling AP70N supply for other calibres. I was lucky enough to have bought a bottle right before the whole fiasco with ADI's new factory, and have been trying to make it last until I could find a replacement... It's been a long time coming :O

I have taken a squiz in the ADI reloading manual, and I notice there are loads for AS30N starting around the 3 grain mark. Given the absence of load data, would it be reasonable to load up a series of test rounds, starting at 2.5 grains and increasing in 0.1 grain increments, then test fire them one by one checking for the minimum load which will cycle the gun, and the maximum load before i start seeing signs of overpressure? I've never had to work up a load in the complete absence of any load data before...

Cheers
-Shamas
Shamas
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Vectan C7 - No Load Data

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2023, 12:51 pm

Shamas wrote:Hey all,

New member here :)

I managed to get my hands on a small bottle of Vectan C7 powder, but I can't find any load data anywhere for it. When I purchased it from my LGS, I was told it was pistol powder, but what little information I could find about it says it's shotgun powder. AFAIK, Shotgun powder can be used in smaller pistol calibres such as 9mm, but is a bit too fast burning for larger calibres, is this correct?

Does anyone has experience reloading with this powder? I am hoping to develop a 9mm load and possibly a low-powered 357mag load, so that I can conserve my dwindling AP70N supply for other calibres. I was lucky enough to have bought a bottle right before the whole fiasco with ADI's new factory, and have been trying to make it last until I could find a replacement... It's been a long time coming :O

I have taken a squiz in the ADI reloading manual, and I notice there are loads for AS30N starting around the 3 grain mark. Given the absence of load data, would it be reasonable to load up a series of test rounds, starting at 2.5 grains and increasing in 0.1 grain increments, then test fire them one by one checking for the minimum load which will cycle the gun, and the maximum load before i start seeing signs of overpressure? I've never had to work up a load in the complete absence of any load data before...

Cheers
-Shamas

A mate bought some A0 last year which only has load data for .38 Special and .40S&W from memory. Fast pistol powders can be used in rifle cartridges as well, for reduced loads.

Very difficult to find out much at all about C7, perhaps it was made for non-English speaking countries? First thing I would do is email Nobel and ask their advice - it may get you nowhere but I would still tick that box. One reference from 2011 seems to indicate "C7 SV" is used for steel shot? Another from 2013 lists "C7 Perfecta" for 12ga. loads. Using up to 28gn charges under 34gm loads. Comparing it to ADI's 12ga. data I would _guess_ the powder is in the realm of AP70N. I would load a single round with a low AP70N charge weight and test fire it, ideally over a chronograph. Probably about 3.5gn under a 115gn cast bullet in 9mm or a 158gn cast bullet in the .357Mag. I would expect both of those to go well under 1000fps but having an actual velocity measurement should give you some hard data you can work from. Personally, I would prefer to do this experimentation using a Chiappa rifled chamber adaptor in a 12ga. gun to minimise the risk of damaging a handgun. A chamber adapter also allows you to do the testing without having to go to a pistol club approved range every time. If I had access to C7 powder I would happily do the testing for you.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-06 133028.png
Screenshot 2023-10-06 133028.png (113.58 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 07 Oct 2023, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrisor44 » 06 Oct 2023, 11:29 pm

This may help. Came from Nobel Italy and has loads for 357 in Italian but fairly easy to work out. Their web site is so slow!!
Attachments
scheda-tecnica-C7.pdf
(135.74 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Harrisor44
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Harrisor44 » 06 Oct 2023, 11:34 pm

And in English if I had looked at it carefully before posting as well as various 9mm cartridges too.
Harrisor44
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Shamas » 10 Oct 2023, 12:35 pm

Thanks for your help everyone :D Hopefully they bring in more of this stuff :)
Shamas
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition