lee perfect powder measure issues

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

lee perfect powder measure issues

Post by mickb » 30 Oct 2023, 3:42 pm

Hi Gents, asking for a mate, I dont use powder dumpers but he got himself one of these for loading 270win and 30-30.

What sort of variance is acceptable with one of these? He is getting 0.3 to 0.5 grains difference per dump. These are 43 grain starting loads of AR2208 in the 270 for the record.

He asked me and I told him I flat out dont know as I only ever hand measure. I said first port of call is putting the question out there and maybe upgrading to a more expensive model, I think this Lee is entry level?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: lee perfect powder measure issues

Post by deye243 » 30 Oct 2023, 3:59 pm

I don't know about the lee but the three rcbs powder measures that I use Give me a consistent point 2 of a grain variance
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Oct 2023, 5:40 pm

mickb wrote:Hi Gents, asking for a mate, I dont use powder dumpers but he got himself one of these for loading 270win and 30-30.

What sort of variance is acceptable with one of these? He is getting 0.3 to 0.5 grains difference per dump. These are 43 grain starting loads of AR2208 in the 270 for the record.

He asked me and I told him I flat out dont know as I only ever hand measure. I said first port of call is putting the question out there and maybe upgrading to a more expensive model, I think this Lee is entry level?

I use the Lee Perfect. Consistency of the output depends enormously on the consistency of the input. You need to develop a consistent technique and keep the hopper topped up. I swing the lever in a smooth arc, bang it twice at the bottom to ensure nothing is left behind, then bang it again at the top to ensure it's starts flowing smoothly. I think it varies with different powders but with the extruded AR powders you should be able throw within .2gn pretty reliably and a lot will be within .1gn. I usually throw them and if they're under I trickle them up, if they're over I toss them back in the hopper and throw another load.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Oct 2023, 7:38 pm

I’m with blade. Consistent technique required. I heard the cheap Lee is one of the most consistently accurate throwers
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by mickb » 30 Oct 2023, 8:03 pm

thanks fellas he was having another chop at it today and got it down between 0.2 and 0.3 for most. I passed on the information supplied here so will see how he goes.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2023, 8:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:I’m with blade. Consistent technique required. I heard the cheap Lee is one of the most consistently accurate throwers

Yep if your consistant it will be consistant. Keep it at least half full.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 31 Oct 2023, 6:25 am

I've been using them for for 30+ years for everything from 4gr of pistol powder to 100+ gr of blackpowder. Once you get a consistent throw going they will throw as accurate as any other mechanical thrower. They work on volume not weight, so you have to be very consistent in how you manipulate them to get the same volume each time. Banging the lever at the top will settle the powder down more so if you don't do it exactly the same each time you will get varying amounts. I tend not to bang the lever to the top. I just push it gently and make sure it goes to the top and I pause to make sure the tube fills. Slow and steady is the way to get consistency rather than trying to do it quickly. I can throw even loads right down to the bottom of the hopper,(so long as there is enough powder to fill the tube) doing it this way. I don't bother throwing and weighing each load, I will load 40 at a time in a loading block just holding the block under the thrower. You can only get two rows per side due to the gap between the bracket and spout.
Throwers are about streaming the loading process not pinpoint accurate weight. If you want absolute weight you will need laboratory quality scales and a powder trickler, that is a very tedious process and not really required for 99% of shooting.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 31 Oct 2023, 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 31 Oct 2023, 7:16 am

Mickb
I owned one and found it quite OK with fine grained powders like BM2 but less so with coarser powders like 2213, but I developed a work around.
First thing is to calibrate the unit by doing 10 powder drops into your scale pan and weighing to get the average. Adjust until your average equals the desired charge weight.
For more accuracy you need an electronic scale.
Place your empty primed case on your scale and zero the scale.
Now drop powder in the case and put back on the scale.
If the charge weight is the desired weight or within an acceptable +- range then proceed to load the projectile. If not then empty the powder into the hopper and repeat the process.
Note that you must rezero the scale for each primed case.
I used a +- 0.1 grain tolerance for target quality loads but only the simple calibration procedure for hunting loads or loads that just had to go bang.
Although that technique was reasonably foolproof and quick I moved to an electric powder thrower and haven't looked back.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2023, 11:36 am

If I'm doing bulk milsurp ammo I'll throw charges straight to the brass, but mostly I throw into the pan, drop it on the scale, then adjust the charge if I need to. 95% of my charges go on the scale before going in the case.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 31 Oct 2023, 12:37 pm

As a few others have said buying a more expensive unit will only achieve spending more money. The Lee is one of the best throwers out there it is an old design that has been well tested and reviewed for years and is still on the top.. Slow smooth consistent action is the key. Any bumps from banging the lever into the end stops are going to cause issues.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by wanneroo » 01 Nov 2023, 12:34 am

A Lee Perfect Powder Measure was the first powder measure I had. I just looked it up and it appears they changed the design a bit from 10 years ago.

I think it uses a lot more plastic bits than more expensive measures. As I recall in the directions, static electricity build up is an issue and to prevent it coat the inside with graphite. I ignored it at first and had issues with big variances in charges and then I did as directed and the problems went away. As I recall I used a dry graphite spray lubricant. However with some powders like Unique it would always bounce around +.1 or -.1 grain.

Double check the instructions it came with but that is what I remember.

I think the measure is ok for folks on a budget or casual reloaders but if reloading in bulk or for precision, I'd upgrade. My RCBS works pretty good once dialed but I like my Hornady that I upgraded with chemistry grade glass from a company called Dramworx.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Larry » 01 Nov 2023, 2:34 pm

The instructions I got with mine didnt have graphite mentioned but they did say to fill and empty it with powder a few times before use. Powder has heaps of carbon in it which is effectively the same as graphite anyway. Doesn't really matter if it is glass, metal or plastic they are all going to create static electricity until well coated and used.

There is going to be variances no matter what you do. For one you are measuring by volume but really want a result by weight. The volume measures are perfect for Black powder but high quality scales are going to be the go for precise loads to the grain.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 01 Nov 2023, 2:51 pm

Larry wrote:The instructions I got with mine didnt have graphite mentioned but they did say to fill and empty it with powder a few times before use. Powder has heaps of carbon in it which is effectively the same as graphite anyway. Doesn't really matter if it is glass, metal or plastic they are all going to create static electricity until well coated and used.

There is going to be variances no matter what you do. For one you are measuring by volume but really want a result by weight. The volume measures are perfect for Black powder but high quality scales are going to be the go for precise loads to the grain.

I think most powders are coated with graphite anyway.
Volume measurement is fine for most powders, but you have to calibrate your measure of course. Even dippers are more than accurate enough for loading quality ammunition. I would expect virtually all factory ammo is loaded by volumetric measure as well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vince24 » 02 Nov 2023, 8:36 pm

I have been using that Lee perfect powder for 2 years and indeed it can give you the right load at 0.1 grain, 4 times in a row.

But then the 5th time there will be a 0.4 grain difference. Probably because I did something wrong. Or not.

In any case, I feel I can't trust it (or myself) and I weight every charge with my electronic Frankford Arsenal. Just to be sure, to be sure.
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by wanneroo » 03 Nov 2023, 9:55 am

Vince24 wrote:I have been using that Lee perfect powder for 2 years and indeed it can give you the right load at 0.1 grain, 4 times in a row.

But then the 5th time there will be a 0.4 grain difference. Probably because I did something wrong. Or not.

In any case, I feel I can't trust it (or myself) and I weight every charge with my electronic Frankford Arsenal. Just to be sure, to be sure.

That was the thing, once I got my RCBS, it's bang on every time. So the Lee with it's bouncing around .1 grain, it was time to send it down the road. The Hornady with it's glass upgrade is the same, bang on every time.

The Lee was great in the sense, at the time in 2013 I was on a tight budget and bought it new for $20. It got me started loading 9mm, 45 ACP and others and did what I needed it to do. I think for the casual reloader who just wants some plinking or target ammo and where .1g difference isn't going to matter much, it's fine.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by madang55 » 20 Nov 2023, 4:13 pm

Soon going to find out for myself. I going to set it to throw just under the weight I want, then trickle the remainder onto a little Lyman electric scale I have. Couldn't pass it by for the price.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Nov 2023, 4:57 pm

madang55 wrote:Soon going to find out for myself. I going to set it to throw just under the weight I want, then trickle the remainder onto a little Lyman electric scale I have. Couldn't pass it by for the price.

How much?

IIRC i paid $40 about 4 years ago.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 22 Nov 2023, 10:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
madang55 wrote:Soon going to find out for myself. I going to set it to throw just under the weight I want, then trickle the remainder onto a little Lyman electric scale I have. Couldn't pass it by for the price.

How much?

IIRC i paid $40 about 4 years ago.

Whatever the price is from Margate.
And......was loading some 223 with 2208 and.....behaved quite nicely.. was throwing weights between 25.9 and 26.1 and mostly 26.0...on the money.. so a lot quicker than spooning it out
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition