Put off electric powder measures, so slow...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Put off electric powder measures, so slow...

Post by 5Tom » 09 Aug 2014, 5:45 pm

No experience with RCBS, but I got the Hornady scales/dispenser.
I've loaded up plenty of ammo with a digital scale and did everything manually, which for me took waaay to long. As soon as I got my dispenser, it has been far more easier.

You can toggle the speed of the trickling function and set the weight of when the dispenser slows up.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2014, 9:33 am

I use the Chargemaster Combo, I find it fine speed wise, it drops the charge, I then put the charge down the powder funnel into the case, I put the pan back on the scales and it dispenses the next charge automatically whilst I'm seating the projectile in the case, by the time I've done that the next load is waiting to be put in the next case.

You can adjust the parameters on the Chargemaster to speed things up significantly if you want, me I don't need to do it so haven't bothered, RCBS will supply you with all the details on how to go about it if you want to.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 10 Aug 2014, 7:08 pm

Never going back to Bloody trickles and powder scoops as long as I've got 240 to my door!!!LOL Long live the ChargeMaster!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 11 Aug 2014, 10:05 am

mausermate wrote:Lorgar, how did you go with the RCBS chargemaster? I do a lot of load development and sick of using a manual trickler. Was it worth the coin?

Hey Mauser,

Got my unit and it works great.

I'm really happy with. It's slower than a manual thrower where you just lift the handle and it dumps the charge obviously, but so fast to set to the right charge weight as you just type in the number and it's done. No screwing around with manual adjustments.

Consistently accurate too. Over/under throws only about 1/50 charges by .1gr. Very occasionally .2gr.

I don't find the speed a problem. Like scott said, you just work on something else while the powder is dispensing.

Constantly fiddling for different weights with the manual RCBS thrower I had was a huge pain in the ass IMO. Much happier just being able to punch in a number and have it do it straight away. It's slower per charge, but no more wasting time screwing around adjusting the old manual thrower like I used to have to do.

Glad I got it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition