Put off electric powder measures, so slow...

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Put off electric powder measures, so slow...

Post by Pilch » 18 Aug 2013, 9:20 am

Hi all,

I'm looking into some reloading gear and found my way to the RCBS chargemaster combo.

Electronic measure and scales obviously sounding good for accuracy/consistency. But the speed...

Was watching this YouTube video here with a quick walk through on it. Shows it takes about 20 seconds per load to dispense powder.

That's pretty much put me off the thing as it would take forever to do loads compared to their regular manual one which only takes a second to dispense each powder load.

Are they all that slow? :(
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Put off electric powder measures, so slow...

Post by RealNick » 18 Aug 2013, 9:28 am

You can just buy the scales if want that side of the accuracy and are happy to do manual powder dispenses.

There is a model which doesn't attach to the dispensed and is smaller. I think I saw them on the net somewhere for about $170?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by shazz » 19 Aug 2013, 9:30 am

There are two kinds of scales too. One is the charge master which goes which connects to the powder dispenser, and the other is the range master which is stand alone.

'bout $100 more for the charge master, but you could always add it to the automatic dispenser down the road if you decided you can live with the speed of it.
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by shazz » 19 Aug 2013, 9:30 am

Er, lack of speed I should say.
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by lole » 19 Aug 2013, 11:02 am

That's about par for the course in terms of speed.

They all trickle that last bit for that .1gr accuracy which takes a while. None of the digital measure/dispenser combos just dump out the load as quickly as a manual one.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by John445 » 20 Aug 2013, 10:54 am

shazz wrote:There are two kinds of scales too. One is the charge master which goes which connects to the powder dispenser, and the other is the range master which is stand alone.

'bout $100 more for the charge master, but you could always add it to the automatic dispenser down the road if you decided you can live with the speed of it.

That's what I'm planning to do. They do look painfully slow though :(
John445
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Monty » 21 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

If you wan't that level of powder measure accuracy + convenience where you can just punch in a number and be done with it, the lack of speed it just the price you pay.

Too slow for my liking... and it's not like manual dispensers are inaccurate anyway...
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by sneaker » 21 Aug 2013, 11:10 am

Monty wrote:Too slow for my liking... and it's not like manual dispensers are inaccurate anyway...

Ditto.

If I was constantly having to change the powder measure up and down and all over the place for a wide variety of loads the auto dispenser might be worth the wait, but for the sake of setting it all once then doing a batch of cartridges a manual one is fine.
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 8:05 pm

We have an rcbs chargemaster and I love it, the kids even do the powder for me, it doesn't take that long.
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by ebr love » 02 Oct 2013, 8:07 pm

mel wrote:We have an rcbs chargemaster and I love it, the kids even do the powder for me, it doesn't take that long.

Reloading. Fun for the whole family :D
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 8:11 pm

It is! My nearly 7yo daughter comes out to the shed "can we reload some more ammo mum?" :D
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Pilch » 02 Oct 2013, 8:56 pm

mel wrote:It is! My nearly 7yo daughter comes out to the shed "can we reload some more ammo mum?" :D

Ha. That's great.
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Vladimir » 10 Oct 2013, 10:33 am

I'm using RCBS
2 thing you can do to speed this up
1 - have 2 identical cups where your powder dispenses, and while one is filling you can empty the other one.
2 - I found slow where it needs to do internal calibration, but after I run my scales from power filter - or UPS - all prefect
If Guns & Knives can kill ?! - then spoons and forks can make you fat!
Vladimir
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 10 Oct 2013, 10:41 am

I've had it with my manual powder thrower (RBCS).

Going to pick up a Chargemaster Combo if I can find one in stock today.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2013, 6:41 pm

Looks faster and possibly more accurate than a powder measure scoop, a powder trickler and scales.... if I wasnt sutch a tight @ss I'd buy something like that, then again I don't mind spending time in the shed.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Norton » 10 Oct 2013, 8:20 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:If I wasnt sutch a tight @ss I'd buy something like that, then again I don't mind spending time in the shed.

Yeah they're not peanuts. $500 or something for the Chargemaster Combo if I remember right.

About $400 for the Hornady one, but not as accurate apparently and prone to a lot of overcharges.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 11 Oct 2013, 9:32 am

Ordered my RCBS Chargemaster Combo yesterday.

Can't stop checking the Aus Post tracking every 5 minutes to see where it is :evil: :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mausermate » 09 Aug 2014, 12:49 pm

Lorgar wrote:Ordered my RCBS Chargemaster Combo yesterday.

Can't stop checking the Aus Post tracking every 5 minutes to see where it is :evil: :lol:

Lorgar, how did you go with the RCBS chargemaster? I do a lot of load development and sick of using a manual trickler. Was it worth the coin?
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 09 Aug 2014, 5:45 pm

No experience with RCBS, but I got the Hornady scales/dispenser.
I've loaded up plenty of ammo with a digital scale and did everything manually, which for me took waaay to long. As soon as I got my dispenser, it has been far more easier.

You can toggle the speed of the trickling function and set the weight of when the dispenser slows up.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2014, 9:33 am

I use the Chargemaster Combo, I find it fine speed wise, it drops the charge, I then put the charge down the powder funnel into the case, I put the pan back on the scales and it dispenses the next charge automatically whilst I'm seating the projectile in the case, by the time I've done that the next load is waiting to be put in the next case.

You can adjust the parameters on the Chargemaster to speed things up significantly if you want, me I don't need to do it so haven't bothered, RCBS will supply you with all the details on how to go about it if you want to.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 10 Aug 2014, 7:08 pm

Never going back to Bloody trickles and powder scoops as long as I've got 240 to my door!!!LOL Long live the ChargeMaster!!!LOL
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 11 Aug 2014, 10:05 am

mausermate wrote:Lorgar, how did you go with the RCBS chargemaster? I do a lot of load development and sick of using a manual trickler. Was it worth the coin?

Hey Mauser,

Got my unit and it works great.

I'm really happy with. It's slower than a manual thrower where you just lift the handle and it dumps the charge obviously, but so fast to set to the right charge weight as you just type in the number and it's done. No screwing around with manual adjustments.

Consistently accurate too. Over/under throws only about 1/50 charges by .1gr. Very occasionally .2gr.

I don't find the speed a problem. Like scott said, you just work on something else while the powder is dispensing.

Constantly fiddling for different weights with the manual RCBS thrower I had was a huge pain in the ass IMO. Much happier just being able to punch in a number and have it do it straight away. It's slower per charge, but no more wasting time screwing around adjusting the old manual thrower like I used to have to do.

Glad I got it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition