Sierra Pro Hunter - who should I believe?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Sierra Pro Hunter - who should I believe?

Post by Vince24 » 23 Nov 2023, 3:01 pm

HI mates

Looking to do a load development for a little No4 Sporter in 303 British, using the Sierra #2300, Pro Hunder 150 grains,
Will be using AR 2206H - and I'll try with large pistol primers, just because I am curious ;)

Now my question is, how much 2206H can I send down this case?

- ADI load data says no more than 40 grains
- Hogdon (for the equivalent H4895) says no more than 40 grains
- NIck Harvey says no more than 42 grains
- GRT says I am an oversensitive c*** if I don't load it up to 45 grains.

So I was thinking of trying loads from 37 to 39.5 grains but before that I wanted to check if some of you have experience with that specific Sierra bullet in a 303 rifle load development?

Cheers
Vincent
Last edited by Vince24 on 23 Nov 2023, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Sierra Pro Hunter - who should I believe?

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Nov 2023, 4:14 pm

G'day Vince24,
Make of bullet is not relevant, mass is. As to varying Max loads in data that is determined by the load publishers Liability Lawyers based on where they think their client can be sued, so is always variable. My own load for that Sierra with 2206H was 40,0g used in a sporterised Lithgow SMLE, before going back to 180g Sierra SP/FB at 39.0g of 2206H, Cheers..
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 23 Nov 2023, 7:25 pm

No experience with that projectile but you would be foolish to exceed the ADI/Hodgden published maximum.
The greater worry is the large pistol primer in a moderately large case that will only be partially filled with powder.
I suggest you do your test as described but in the following increments 37, 38, 39 and 40 grain.
Watch out for pistol primers cracking and blowing out in the sharp corner formed between the primer pocket and bolt face.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 23 Nov 2023, 8:33 pm

Haven’t loaded the Sierra pro hunter in 303. But I think I have some on the shelf in the reloading room. I like the Hornady 150gr soft points for my hunting load. Which I load with a moderate load of 38gr of AR 2208.

I’ve never used large pistol primers so I’d be more than a bit cautious. The biggest and only scare I’ve had reloading was with the old 303 when I thought I’d use some old Super cases (probably over 40 years old) one more time before chucking them. Had a case let go when I chambered it and fired it and felt a fair bit of blast come back around the bolt and back past my face. Definitely made me pull the remaining rounds and scrap the brass.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Vince24 » 23 Nov 2023, 10:19 pm

Thank you guys for the advice
Was initially planning to stop at 39.5 but following the above advice I will do the following 7 increments:
37-37.5-38-38.5-39-39.5-40
4 shots in each group, 50m.

And see if there are a few of those 7 that are interesting or at least as good as the PPU.

It's a very elegant No4 Sporter, a Parker Hale commercial conversion, light like a 22 LR (my reason for not going for a 174gn/2208 load), cute stock with a good barrel and the singer sight.
IMG_5222.jpg
IMG_5222.jpg (723.37 KiB) Viewed 4464 times

Pistol Primers: i have heard so many Okay reports, want to try as I will get those pistol primers for cheap. I would think that of all military calibers, 303 is maybe the closest to a pistol calibre: low capacity, big calibre, and I am using a relatively fast powder. I would not try a pistol primer in a 6.5x55 case loaded with 46 grains of 2213 SC!! Rather a large rifle magnum in that case.

The Super case: once upon a day, someone gave me a box of Super 303 ammo. 140 grains. Very old, price on the box was like 3$.
I shot one. The neck of the case had litteraly crumbled, 1/3 rd of the neck had just gone missing!
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Larry » 23 Nov 2023, 11:30 pm

Ive seen that same thing with the old military rounds. Most of the neck makes it way down the barrel as added shrapnel. Cant be good for the barrel but hell the more flying bits in the enemy's direction cant hurt either. The smell of cordite is an added bonus.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by in2anity » 24 Nov 2023, 7:52 am

Don't listen to GRT here; it does not take into consideration the rear locking action. The strength/flex in the action is the limiting factor here. As Nick says, no way would I consistently go above 42gr06H under a 150gr in a No4. You can stretch the action. Pattern 1914 is a diferent story.

FWIW 42gr 08 under a 150gr is considered a warm load in a No4 - many SR shooters see that as the boundary for the No4.

Most blokes running 303s aren't using 06H; it's just too fast.The only benefit I see, is slightly less recoil impulse. I ran 06H in my 303 for a time to help with the recoil, but it never scored well on the prone mounds. Fine for offhand work, but lacking accuracy over larger sample sizes of scores. Twas back to 08 for me, and scores are better. I just wear a bit of shoulder padding now and we is happy.

Furthermore, 06H stocks have all but dried up where 08 is still flowing. I'm personally saving my 06H for the smaller calibers.

What you have going for you is that it's only a 150gr bullet (on the lighter side for 303). I'd not at all be afraid of 40gr 06H under a 150gr. Make sure you seat them out as long as she will reliabily feed.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by TuskerOrd » 27 Nov 2023, 3:43 pm

Hi Vince. Loaded for several 303s, shooting the 150gr Prohunters.

For me the most accurate load that worked very well is 99% of 303s.

39.5gr AR2206H
LR primer
COAL: 75mm

Please do not copy my load data, be safe, start low and work up.
TuskerOrd
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Vince24 » 28 Nov 2023, 5:26 pm

Thanks guys for all the confirmations.

And yes my reason for going for 2206H is the light projectile et very light rifle, with pistol primers!

When shooting 174 grains with my full wool enfields, I use 2208, generally around 40.5 grains.

Cheers
Vincent
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by TuskerOrd » 02 Dec 2023, 6:14 pm

Cant see why pistol primers wouldn't work in a low pressure application like the 303 - I've loaded pistol primers in my 30-30 with no ill effects,
TuskerOrd
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by bigpete » 03 Dec 2023, 2:25 am

Can't see how anything built on a Lee Enfield action could be considered " light as a 22 " unless the only 22 you've used is some sort of bench rest jobby....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Vince24 » 16 Dec 2023, 6:53 pm

Well that sporter weights 3.4 kilos... so yes it is not much heavier than many 22s !

By the way I have done the load development with Winchester Large Pistol and it went very well, could not see the difference with the regular rifle primers.

Groups were good, but they're all a bit similar from 37 to 40 grains so now I don't know which one to continue with ;)
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by deye243 » 16 Dec 2023, 10:21 pm

bigpete wrote:Can't see how anything built on a Lee Enfield action could be considered " light as a 22 " unless the only 22 you've used is some sort of bench rest jobby....

Yep just like the word accuracy and Lee Enfield
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2023, 5:54 pm

deye243 wrote:
bigpete wrote:Can't see how anything built on a Lee Enfield action could be considered " light as a 22 " unless the only 22 you've used is some sort of bench rest jobby....

:lol: :lol: :lol: . the 303 round itself can be good accuracy wise . in a p14 . my martini 303 is actually very accurate with 150 and 125 hornady's and 2208

refering to the OP , mate , i dunno if it's a good idea using pistol primers in a rifle , bit of a difference preasure wise . play safe :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2023, 8:34 pm

bigrich wrote:
deye243 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: . the 303 round itself can be good accuracy wise . in a p14 . my martini 303 is actually very accurate with 150 and 125 hornady's and 2208

refering to the OP , mate , i dunno if it's a good idea using pistol primers in a rifle , bit of a difference pressure wise . play safe :thumbsup:

Yep, nothing wrong with the cartridge, except for the rim, but it's let down by the Lee Enfield designs.

Yeah, using pistol primers I would keep pressures on the lower side. .303 is not what I would call a high-pressure round though (under 50,000psi) so you don't have to back off too far. Starting loads are around maximum pistol pressures. Just start low and work up keeping an eye on the primers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Vince24 » 17 Dec 2023, 9:09 pm

well as I said I did the load development from 37 to 40 grains with no issue at all.
Could not see the difference with large rifles primers.
Most groups were very good, but for now I will settle on the 38 grain load.
However the tip of those Pro Hunters projectiles is about as hard as melted butter lol, have to be careful when handling those in a Lee.
Vince24
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by bladeracer » 18 Dec 2023, 1:01 am

Vince24 wrote:However the tip of those Pro Hunters projectiles is about as hard as melted butter lol, have to be careful when handling those in a Lee.

I used to carry a dummy .303 round on a keychain and use the soft point as a pencil for taking notes :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition