TEMPILAQ

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

TEMPILAQ

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Nov 2023, 8:15 am

How seriously should I take the need for, "Tempilaq Green Label Thinner"?
The story that I have read is that Tempilaq, the actual temperature indicating liquid, contains a solvent which evaporates while the cap is off the bottle. Being a SKINFLINT, I am loathe to spend more money than necessary. None of the Yt videos that I have seen, made a mention of the need for Thinner.

Does anyone use the Thinner?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: TEMPILAQ

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Nov 2023, 9:03 am

I've never seen the need for it, stuff seems to be able to be thinly applied without effort, works as is, and I can't see that thinning would really improve it to any worthwhile degree.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Nov 2023, 9:51 am

Thank you No1 :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Dec 2023, 6:50 pm

Got some cases annealed today. Seems pretty darn easy but the socket had a terrific wobble so the adaptor was shimmed with 0.010" sheet brass and a hammer. That made it a lot easier to hold the case in the flame.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Dec 2023, 6:58 pm

Pics?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 04 Dec 2023, 7:16 am

If you do need thinner then Alcohol is what you need if you want to go diy. I have a couple of the dry sticks all I could get at the time in the temp I wanted. I have crushed them and then tried different agents to dissolve the particulate. Alcohol was the only thing that worked. Its a much cheaper way to buy the stuff actually and works just as well. A little harder to apply.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Dec 2023, 8:50 am

Oldbloke wrote:Pics?

My wife, the family photographer and the only one with a phone, will be home late today. Tomorrow will be the day!
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Dec 2023, 8:52 am

Larry wrote:If you do need thinner then Alcohol is what you need if you want to go diy. I have a couple of the dry sticks all I could get at the time in the temp I wanted. I have crushed them and then tried different agents to dissolve the particulate. Alcohol was the only thing that worked. Its a much cheaper way to buy the stuff actually and works just as well. A little harder to apply.

That's interesting Larry.
We have Isopropyl Alcohol. Would that work?

p.s. the Scotch is off limits :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Larry » 05 Dec 2023, 6:07 am

Isopropyl should work well as it is normally at a high % as you dont want the water in it. I was using my own home made high % ethanol.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Dec 2023, 9:36 am

Larry wrote:Isopropyl should work well as it is normally at a high % as you dont want the water in it. I was using my own home made high % ethanol.

Thanks Larry :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Dec 2023, 2:04 pm

As promised but very, very late I have pleasure in presenting my annealing contraption, in glorious Technicolour
Project No. 1.jpg
I sit in the chair holding the drill etc, resting on both the upturned bucket and black pillow. The folded jeans in the fore ground have been hosed and put on a milk crate and at the right time, the drill is emptied on to it.
Project No. 1.jpg (142.56 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Dec 2023, 2:11 pm

Project 46.jpg
Project 46.jpg (128.52 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
A side view but a bit closer, revealing the intricate Carpentry of the gas bottle retainer.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Dec 2023, 2:13 pm

Project No. 1.jpg
Project No. 1.jpg (142.56 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Dec 2023, 2:25 pm

Further to the above, I would like to add that this posting pics business is an accursed practice; in our house at least. I know that some of you know the game like the backs of your hands but we; my wife and I, had trouble.
Firstly, she could not find the things on her phone. Then they had to be saved to her I-pad so that they could be emailed to our computer. After that it became a nightmare but that's OK because I can't remember what went on. Something about not being able to find them but I was out of the room. I am of a mind now, not to upset my wife's sweet disposition in future.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition