Howa 20 Inch Fluted Varmint Reloads

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Howa 20 Inch Fluted Varmint Reloads

Post by madang55 » 27 Nov 2023, 9:04 am

Anyone got one and reload for it in particular.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Howa 20 Inch Fluted Varmint Reloads

Post by tuknal » 27 Nov 2023, 2:02 pm

hi mate
i use BM2 24.8gn with 55gr Sierra super roos
in a howa heavy barrel 22in
itll shoot 5 shot groups i can cover with a $2 coin at 100m,, dont know what that is in moa
tuknal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 27 Nov 2023, 2:12 pm

MOA.. $2 coin is good enough. Was hoping for someone with the 20 inch varmint
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harronek » 29 Nov 2023, 5:51 pm

My 20 inch fluted .223 is actually one of my favourite Rifles.
I use ADI 2206H powder with both Hornady 60 Vmax and Sierra 77 TMK , both loaded to maximum magazine length.
Over many hundreds of rounds the Sierra 77 TMK are averaging 17mm groups ( that is a true average of all groups , not just the ones you want to brag about ) shot prone with bipod and rear bag .
Another projectile that I like is the 53gn Vmax , but for some reason 2206H just doesn’t cut the Mustard and ADI BM2 is the best powder I’ve found for them .
If you want to shoot heavy find some 77 TMK’s , if you want to shoot lighter try the 53 Vmax
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 02 Dec 2023, 5:33 pm

Very good, thank you.. TMK Match Kings? Get into strife if I get caught using them on grasshoppers? But thank you, if I can get myself out of the bind I'm in, cataract surgery, broken foot, and a 4WD that just became too expensive to repair, I will be straight back into the market. I might put in a PTA and just go for the one I've been looking at. I have so much brass waiting to be reloaded (i.e. about 700) I might have to give in to the urge
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 03 Dec 2023, 8:34 am

tuknal wrote:hi mate
itll shoot 5 shot groups i can cover with a $2 coin at 100m,, dont know what that is in moa

I actually have a bulk pack of the Super's, so they will be the main load. I also have a bit of 2206H but like everything, hard to come by, so 2208 is it at the moment.
I do like V-max's in several calibres.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 03 Dec 2023, 9:42 am

My Tikka CTR runs a 20" barrel with a 1:8" twist, which Tikka describes as 'Semi-Heavy', which is rather vague.

Up until June, I'd been simply running factory 55gn rounds through it(either ADI green-tip sierra, or the 55gn SP Sierra Gamekings).
But I was finding the 55gn pills were just a bit under-gunned for pigs.
For the past 6 months, I've been getting a lot of success with 75gn BTHP Match Hornadys, and now 75gn REXEM F-Bomb BTHP pills.
I havent sighted it in proper from a bench-rest, but a very brief session at 100 metres from the door of my Landcruiser, showed me I was punching holes into the target slightly under an inch.
[Probably less than that, but I didnt have time to get more precise.]

My overseer is running a Howa 1500 with a 22" 1:9"twist barrel(sporter), and he's getting excellent results with (initially) 68gn Hornady BTHP match pills, and now 69gn REXEM F-Bomb BTHP pills.
While neither of us are punching paper, so not tweaking the very best from either rifle, both of us really happy that the rounds are landing exactly where we intended.
I doubt I'll be messing around with my loads any time soon, but again; not punching paper.
The 68/69gn pills are in front of 24.5gns of AR2208.
The 75gn pills are in front of 24.0gns AR2208.
COAL is 2.265"
Currently using CCI SRP 400 primers.

Both loads are on the warm(ish) side, so approach these loads with caution.
[But I'm not seeing ANY pressure signs.]
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by tuknal » 03 Dec 2023, 11:45 am

madang55 wrote:
tuknal wrote:hi mate

I actually have a bulk pack of the Super's, so they will be the main load. I also have a bit of 2206H but like everything, hard to come by, so 2208 is it at the moment.
I do like V-max's in several calibres.

i dont know your location but ive had no trouble lately getting BM2 and others i know use 2206H and they seem to get it without to many troubles
and we are all out western nsw
tuknal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition