Caveman Annealing Equipment

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Caveman Annealing Equipment

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2023, 7:42 pm

With the arrival of my Tempilaq yesterday, I set about making a gas bottle retainer with the wood offcuts that had lain around for years.
I can hear you all asking, "Why" (for Pete's sake), when none of the Yt vids showed anything remotely like that. Well, I just didn't want to knock over a flaming gas torch in my garage is why.
This experience has taught me the it would have made more sense to go to Bunnings and get some new bits of cheap, planed and thicknessed softwood. For instance, the 35 mm particle board, that came from my scrap heap, actually splits when you drive a screw into it :oops: :(
I have a few bits cobbled together, in between chores, which will probably do but be aware Dear Members that thick particle board is made of two sheets glued together, which makes it look sturdy but it splits along the glue-line :o
I am persevering. the load or stress on this thing could not possibly be severe but it goes to bear out the old saying,"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Caveman Annealing Equipment

Post by on_one_wheel » 30 Nov 2023, 8:00 pm

Don't worry, if you're using Tempilaq, your annealing method is far from caveman style :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Nov 2023, 8:18 pm

Pre-drill the screw hole a little over the root diameter of the screw, use PVA glue on the joint and you should avoid splitting.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2023, 9:11 pm

Thank you gentlemen :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Dec 2023, 9:22 am

Sooo, what's the plan?

I'm waiting with great expectations. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2023, 7:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sooo, what's the plan?

I'm waiting with great expectations. :D

Well, the easy part is finished, that being a kind of box screwed to a long piece of MDF, Wheatbix or Particle Board. This is to stop me knocking the gas bottle over when it's alight.
I anticipate aiming the case from a position at right angles to the direction of the flame. That is just for now but I might change my mind. The case etc will be spun with a battery operated drill but just how it will be supported is what I will find out tomorrow.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Dec 2023, 7:55 pm

I use a ¼" drive deep socket on a short extension.
You'll find that deep sockets expose only the portion you'll be aiming to anneal.
Find a deep socket that your brass fits into loosely enough that when you tip it down the brass falls out, that way the moment you hit the required temperature you can dump it into a bucket of water to ensure the heat doesn't radiate too far beyond the shoulder.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Dec 2023, 8:25 am

on_one_wheel
Last week I got a 12mm deep socket for my 30/06 cases and an adaptor. Haven't had the chance to try it all out for real yet but everything fits so I have to work out how to hold the drill steady in the flame.
Last night we had a blackout and had to light candles, so now I know that there are matches :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Dec 2023, 10:00 am

Wm, I just held the drill when I used it. A battery screw driver will works too provided the socket fits. Aim the flame at the case shoulder.

But last few times I just did it manually with a handle of ally tube (old tv aerial) pushed onto the "case holder" the SIL made for me. (Top left of pic.) First time a bit of wooden dowell with a hole drilled in the end to take the case. Lol
Works fine and I now excusively use the small "pencil" torch in the pic for both 30.06 and 223.

Edit: the small diameter of the ally tube makes turning it very efficient, and it's very light weight. It isn't rocket science.
Attachments
223 4 sec.jpeg.jpg
223 4 sec.jpeg.jpg (265.07 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Dec 2023, 10:45 am

Found the pic I was looking for.
"Case holder" with ally tube.
223 cases and "pencil" gas tip.

The smaller tip does take a bit longer, but, gives greater control IMHO.

Resized_20231001_111902.jpeg.jpg
Resized_20231001_111902.jpeg.jpg (223.41 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition