Trail Boss Substitute for Subsonic Rifle Loads

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Trail Boss Substitute for Subsonic Rifle Loads

Post by wanneroo » 11 Jan 2024, 2:55 am

I saw some talk on here previously about the lack of Trail Boss being available.

I happened to be reading Hodgdon's 2024 Annual Handloading Guide. I don't know if you all get that every year on the newsstand or at your gun stores but it is published in magazine format with about 100 pages of load data plus various articles on load development, typically with the new powders on the market or new cartridges but also they typically have some old favorites as well.

One thing they made mention was that they have been unable to get Trail Boss from ADI in Australia for several years now. So they have an article where Hodgdon worked up some substitute subsonic loads in a variety of rifle cartridges to replicate what Trail Boss would do. They had some data on lever gun cartridges like 44 Magnum, 38 Special and then some regular cartridges like 223, 308, 300 Blackout and a few others as well like 45 70.

Just to let you all know that is out there if you want a Trail Boss substitute.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Re: Trail Boss Substitute for Subsonic Rifle Loads

Post by Larry » 11 Jan 2024, 7:08 am

You left out the all important bit of information. What was the substitute for Trailboss?
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Wyliecoyote » 11 Jan 2024, 7:38 am

Clays, Titegroup and Win 231, Red Dot, Blue Dot,700x, Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 for the likes of 44 Mag and 416 Ruger etc. There will be few ADI powders specified as this is in the US. I did see one load for 308 using 2206h and BM2 with 190 grain SubX pills at 1040 fps. Around 13 grains.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2024, 10:20 am

wanneroo wrote:I saw some talk on here previously about the lack of Trail Boss being available.

I happened to be reading Hodgdon's 2024 Annual Handloading Guide. I don't know if you all get that every year on the newsstand or at your gun stores but it is published in magazine format with about 100 pages of load data plus various articles on load development, typically with the new powders on the market or new cartridges but also they typically have some old favorites as well.

One thing they made mention was that they have been unable to get Trail Boss from ADI in Australia for several years now. So they have an article where Hodgdon worked up some substitute subsonic loads in a variety of rifle cartridges to replicate what Trail Boss would do. They had some data on lever gun cartridges like 44 Magnum, 38 Special and then some regular cartridges like 223, 308, 300 Blackout and a few others as well like 45 70.

Just to let you all know that is out there if you want a Trail Boss substitute.

H4895 (AR2206H) or H4198 (AR2207) are our best choices, with AR2206H being more versatile I think. Replacing TB with other pistol powders isn't really viable here when there are no pistol powders.
Last edited by bladeracer on 11 Jan 2024, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2024, 10:22 am

Wyliecoyote wrote:Clays, Titegroup and Win 231, Red Dot, Blue Dot,700x, Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 for the likes of 44 Mag and 416 Ruger etc. There will be few ADI powders specified as this is in the US. I did see one load for 308 using 2206h and BM2 with 190 grain SubX pills at 1040 fps. Around 13 grains.

Clays is AS30N and not available.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 11 Jan 2024, 12:38 pm

Larry wrote:You left out the all important bit of information. What was the substitute for Trailboss?

They used a surprisingly wide range of powders depending on the cartridge.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 11 Jan 2024, 12:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Wyliecoyote wrote:Clays, Titegroup and Win 231, Red Dot, Blue Dot,700x, Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 for the likes of 44 Mag and 416 Ruger etc. There will be few ADI powders specified as this is in the US. I did see one load for 308 using 2206h and BM2 with 190 grain SubX pills at 1040 fps. Around 13 grains.

As I recall in there the president of Hodgdon made mention of Clays and it's unavailability. And as I recall they were pushing their new powder "High Gun" as a substitute for it and did an article on it. I don't follow the shotgun stuff so I glossed over it while reading.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jackaroo » 11 Jan 2024, 12:57 pm

Can you buy this in pdf?
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2024, 3:15 pm

If I sail a yacht from South America to Australia , and I have a secret compartment , and fill the keel as well , do I fill it with cocaine or Alliant ? Alliant I reckon because I don’t trust dealing with drug people
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Jackaroo » 11 Jan 2024, 3:47 pm

Blr243 wrote:If I sail a yacht from South America to Australia , and I have a secret compartment , and fill the keel as well , do I fill it with cocaine or Alliant ? Alliant I reckon because I don’t trust dealing with drug people

You don't to smuggle cocaine in NSW......it just washes up on the beaches!!!!

Now if it was Trailboss washing up..........I'd get over being a mal de mer sufferer.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wyliecoyote » 11 Jan 2024, 3:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Some years ago Australia ceased production of Clays. Hodgdon in Canada took up production of it around the same time along with the CFE range of rifle powders which are all no longer imported into Australia. May not be available here but certainly is in the US.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jan 2024, 10:23 pm

Jackaroo wrote:
Blr243 wrote:If I sail a yacht from South America to Australia , and I have a secret compartment , and fill the keel as well , do I fill it with cocaine or Alliant ? Alliant I reckon because I don’t trust dealing with drug people

You don't to smuggle cocaine in NSW......it just washes up on the beaches!!!!

Now if it was Trailboss washing up..........I'd get over being a mal de mer sufferer.

Yes, sorry, I meant not available here.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 12 Jan 2024, 12:40 am

Jackaroo wrote:Can you buy this in pdf?

Not that I know of but it can be purchased online. I saw some vendors on ebay would ship to Australia.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jan 2024, 6:41 am

The yanks had this worked out 40 years ago.

If you want to use fast powders for squibor subsonic loads there is plenty of data available. You just need to know where to look.

Download the 48th Ed of Lymans reloading manual. But be warned is 310mb.
And there are others.

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals ... 20Manuals/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 12 Jan 2024, 8:31 am

Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by stihl88 » 13 Jan 2024, 11:16 am

Luckily i bought myself a 1.5kg container of Unobtanium (Trailboss) before COVID hit hard, it's still bloody full too!
stihl88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jan 2024, 5:28 pm

Trailboss not in the shops but it’s still on or shelves at home. A full bottle here , half a bottle there. I hazzard a guess 1000 kg collectively throughout aus
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 14 Jan 2024, 12:52 pm

stihl88 wrote:Luckily i bought myself a 1.5kg container of Unobtanium (Trailboss) before COVID hit hard, it's still bloody full too!

Same here. And I'm not letting go of it !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 23 Jan 2024, 8:59 am

Oldbloke wrote:The yanks had this worked out 40 years ago.

If you want to use fast powders for squibor subsonic loads there is plenty of data available. You just need to know where to look.

Download the 48th Ed of Lymans reloading manual. But be warned is 310mb.
And there are others.

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals ... 20Manuals/

correct a lot of post ww2 load manuals had a section dedicated to running reduced rifle loads. Eg guard loads in 30-06 for POW camps. used a few grains of bullseye, ball ammo, subsonic round.

I see small amounts of vihtavuori/vectan hitting our shores again- just picked up some N330 and N110, vihta equivalents to Unique and Win296 at about $150-200/lb. Boggles the mind why the major importers arent joining in. Huge profit margins, Euro makers are screaming for business, small companies can get it in, so why are we waiting years?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition