Should we anneal our brass?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Should we anneal our brass?

Post by wanneroo » 04 Feb 2024, 3:28 am

I have found this on Youtube and comments people have left in videos, along with forum talk, some folks I think can get too attached to their brass. It's a consumable item as far as I am concerned and only will have a certain lifespan. I can understand folks wanting to save money and if annealing gets them down the road, cool. But I wouldn't over do it or get too stressed when a case is just wearing out.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Jorlcrin » 04 Feb 2024, 11:39 am

wanneroo wrote:I have found this on Youtube and comments people have left in videos, along with forum talk, some folks I think can get too attached to their brass. It's a consumable item as far as I am concerned and only will have a certain lifespan. I can understand folks wanting to save money and if annealing gets them down the road, cool. But I wouldn't over do it or get too stressed when a case is just wearing out.

Yep; same Here.

I've not bothered to anneal brass; tried it once or twice many years ago, but I'm not doing the types of shooting that might benefit from annealing.
When I was young, brass was a lot harder to source(for me at least), and so making the brass we bought last as long as possible, MIGHT have made annealing worthwhile.
But these days, I run a pool of brass that is many times larger than what I'm using, and so the need to maximise it's life, is not really worth the time.

I dont want to get so attached to my brass that I waste time trying to find it, while the large porker departs at speed.
If I can find any ejected brass quickly, then all good.
But I often find I lose more than I have fail (from not being annealed).

Might be a different story if I was shooting professionally (roo shooting etc), but then none of the roo-shooters I know are annealing, either.

I try to keep my brass clean(so I can easily see when it's starting to fail), but I dont anneal.
And most brands of brass will give me and average of 5-10 reloads before I start seeing case failures.
Anything that fails in under 5 reloads, I'll avoid that brand.

In reality, it's each to their own...
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by gunderson » 04 Feb 2024, 7:42 pm

Jorlcrin wrote:
wanneroo wrote:I have found this on Youtube and comments people have left in videos, along with forum talk, some folks I think can get too attached to their brass. It's a consumable item as far as I am concerned and only will have a certain lifespan. I can understand folks wanting to save money and if annealing gets them down the road, cool. But I wouldn't over do it or get too stressed when a case is just wearing out.

Yep; same Here.

I've not bothered to anneal brass; tried it once or twice many years ago, but I'm not doing the types of shooting that might benefit from annealing.
When I was young, brass was a lot harder to source(for me at least), and so making the brass we bought last as long as possible, MIGHT have made annealing worthwhile.
But these days, I run a pool of brass that is many times larger than what I'm using, and so the need to maximise it's life, is not really worth the time.

I dont want to get so attached to my brass that I waste time trying to find it, while the large porker departs at speed.

Might be a different story if I was shooting professionally (roo shooting etc), but then none of the roo-shooters I know are annealing, either.

I try to keep my brass clean(so I can easily see when it's starting to fail), but I dont anneal.
And most brands of brass will give me and average of 5-10 reloads before I start seeing case failures.

The people I know who anneal are mostly those like myself who have long action and Magnum brass that will literally split necks if its not done as well as get caught in reloading dies etc etc... Some of mine and my fellow shooters I shoot bigger game with all have brass that is anywhere from $2.80 to $6 per case, empty.... be that the case they are most definitely annealing every few reloads otherwise its flushing money down the dunny.

odd you say the roo shooters you know dont reload, ALL the roo shooters I know do reload, religiously, even in their cheaper brass. as a packet of 223 at the shop now is around 20 bucks a pack or more even bulk buying, whereas they can buy 1500+ projies for almost nothing per shot in comparison, with primers and powder being the only sticking point and thats only a recent issue.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by bladeracer » 04 Feb 2024, 8:01 pm

gunderson wrote:odd you say the roo shooters you know dont reload, ALL the roo shooters I know do reload, religiously, even in their cheaper brass. as a packet of 223 at the shop now is around 20 bucks a pack or more even bulk buying, whereas they can buy 1500+ projies for almost nothing per shot in comparison, with primers and powder being the only sticking point and thats only a recent issue.

I don't know any roo shooters but I've bought brass from fox shooters down my way, they use factory ammo and sell the brass. I haven't bought brass since covid hit so it's possible that has changed recently. The fox shooters I know do it at night on top of their day job, perhaps they don't want to additionally invest the hours into reloading? At $10 a head down here, if you can shoot 200 a month it's an easy couple grand of extra income.
Last edited by bladeracer on 07 Feb 2024, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunderson » 04 Feb 2024, 9:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:
gunderson wrote:odd you say the roo shooters you know dont reload, ALL the roo shooters I know do reload, religiously, even in their cheaper brass. as a packet of 223 at the shop now is around 20 bucks a pack or more even bulk buying, whereas they can buy 1500+ projies for almost nothing per shot in comparison, with primers and powder being the only sticking point and thats only a recent issue.

I don't know any roo shooters but I've bought brass from fox shooters down my way, they use factory ammo and sell the brass. I haven't bought brass since covid hit so it's possible that has changed recently. The fox shooter I know do it at night on top of their day job, perhaps they don't want to additionally invest the hours into reloading? At $10 a head down here, if you can shoot 200 a month it's an easy couple grand of extra income.

yeah roo shooting is intensive, and ammo and fuel has always been a major expense even back in the 90s when I used to do it with my old man. And back then we could get Norinco ammo for like $4 and $5 a box.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by wanneroo » 05 Feb 2024, 1:28 am

gunderson wrote:
The people I know who anneal are mostly those like myself who have long action and Magnum brass that will literally split necks if its not done as well as get caught in reloading dies etc etc... Some of mine and my fellow shooters I shoot bigger game with all have brass that is anywhere from $2.80 to $6 per case, empty.... be that the case they are most definitely annealing every few reloads otherwise its flushing money down the dunny.

odd you say the roo shooters you know dont reload, ALL the roo shooters I know do reload, religiously, even in their cheaper brass. as a packet of 223 at the shop now is around 20 bucks a pack or more even bulk buying, whereas they can buy 1500+ projies for almost nothing per shot in comparison, with primers and powder being the only sticking point and thats only a recent issue.

And that is understandable, some of those more expensive cases, certainly getting into annealing is worthwhile. If I was shooting those cartridges I'd consider annealing.

I built my first .223/5.56 rifle last year and don't plan on doing a lot of shooting with it. I will mostly reload for it to shoot it as at the local gun store here in rural USA, Remington 55g .223 is $18.95 a box :wtf:

It used to be the US military sold off it's used brass so 5.56 cases were readily available cheap. No more.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 05 Feb 2024, 7:45 am

If you are reloading a lot, cheap brass quickly lets you down, whether you anneal or not. Not all of it, but some of it. And that's the disturbing part, because it ultimately symbolizes just how inconsistent your (cheap) brass is. And the objective is to continually improve, not be contented with mediocre. After all consistency is the name of the game.

So eventually you fork out for some fancy brass like Lapua, and you can immediatly tell that it's simply more consistent. Whether such consistency yields better overall scores, that's arguable. But it definately lasts longer and dies more consistently. So you sure as hell want to stretch your costly investement as far as it'll go. Annealing is a no brainer.
Last edited by in2anity on 05 Feb 2024, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wyliecoyote » 05 Feb 2024, 9:38 am

The plot has been thickening for some time with tests of induction annealing verses flame annealing with regards to accuracy difference.
Here is one test done by Erik Cortina but click past the endless drivvle to the actual shooting bit. Identical groups in the end which to me proves bullets are more of the issue than annealing.

https://youtu.be/eoKUzv_dHx0?si=Dj-FwGBNRlT0PmpP
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Feb 2024, 9:55 am

All these blokes talk too much. 9Hole is the same. Spare us the dialogue and cut to the chase.

I certainly agree with bullet choice being the most critical part to success. This and seating depth.

But this harks back to the seperate discussion about how anal to get with your reloading. Reloads should be fit for purpose, nothing more nothing less. I ain't gonna spend hours turning my necks and use a myriad of different dies, when I lose all my points to the wind anyway. It's a waste of time.

The number of palma shooters doing all that extremely technical stuff is very limited, yet the best still regularly go 50 with 10, which is an F class possible over irons. And it all boils down to the wind, and the shooter's abillity to adapt to it. :unknown:

Nevertheless everyone anneals, if only to extend their precious and costly brass.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jorlcrin » 07 Feb 2024, 11:33 am

gunderson wrote:
Jorlcrin wrote:Yep; same Here.

Hmm... Thats Not what I said.

I said that none of the Roo-Shooters that I know, are ANNEALING.
I Dont know of a Roo-shooter who can afford to simply buy factory ammo.

Case-prep steps like annealing are a personal preference; whatever works for your particular setup and needs..
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by FTL » 11 Feb 2024, 6:29 pm

I have a batch of Lapua 260 rem which is up to eighteen reloads. 43g 2209 FLS anneal every 5 firings. Started with 20, now down to 17, 2 case neck splits at 17 firings and one loose primer pocket. Check each piece of brass for splits and case head separation.
FTL
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Feb 2024, 4:15 pm

FTL wrote:I have a batch of Lapua 260 rem which is up to eighteen reloads. 43g 2209 FLS anneal every 5 firings. Started with 20, now down to 17, 2 case neck splits at 17 firings and one loose primer pocket. Check each piece of brass for splits and case head separation.

Every 5 sounds sensible to me.
However I anneal every case before I load it the first time now. Ove run into a few that were very hard that were once fired.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 22 Feb 2024, 8:04 am

I anneal my brass because it extends the reloading process and my time out of the house and the garden.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition