Primers are on their way

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Primers are on their way

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jan 2024, 9:09 pm

IMG_20240127_220603.jpg
IMG_20240127_220603.jpg (160.53 KiB) Viewed 1168 times

IIRC White River is a new facility and started production about one year ago.
In time prices should start to come done I guess.

https://whiteriverenergetics.com/

https://www.dmholding.com/
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Primers are on their way

Post by wanneroo » 28 Jan 2024, 3:07 am

Yes, as I have previously mentioned primer manufacturing has been scaling up in the USA so hopefully at some point everyone sees the benefits from it.

I have not tried these White River primers yet so I can't report on them for how good they are. If I do obtain some I will do a Youtube video on them to see how they perform.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lazarus » 28 Jan 2024, 8:12 am

Oldbloke wrote:
IMG_20240127_220603.jpg

IIRC White River is a new facility and started production about one year ago.
In time prices should start to come done I guess.

https://whiteriverenergetics.com/

https://www.dmholding.com/

Yeah, when monkeys start flying out of my butt.
Santa is dead OB :drinks:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jan 2024, 9:19 am

NZ has already had a shipment in October.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jan 2024, 9:22 am

A basic test. Red are White River primers

20231013-163031.jpg
20231013-163031.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2024, 10:12 am

Primers I saw in stock recently locally at 28 cents each. Add powder 40 cents and bullet 50 cents Roughly 1.2 dollars for a 308. So make your own 100 pieces of ammo 118 dollars. Vs cleavers factory 100 factory loads 145 dollars. I’m not sitting at a reloading bench anymore to save 37 dollars … if there has not already been so , I anticipate a significant move towards the purchase of 308 and 223 Ppu is 18 bucks for 20 rounds. My next pta will be for a 223 I have not owned one since my mini 14 … I admit it’s great to see primers agsin. Pretty sure they are the Indian primers. I definitely want to continue reloading for 450bm and 4570. The factory ammo prices are uncomfortable
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jan 2024, 11:15 am

Blr, they are US made
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 28 Jan 2024, 5:00 pm

LGS told me they were picking up a shipment of primers this week and he said they were Indian made, but didn't give a brand. Forgot to ask a price.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jan 2024, 5:06 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Jan 2024, 7:51 pm

Blr243 wrote:Primers I saw in stock recently locally at 28 cents each. Add powder 40 cents and bullet 50 cents Roughly 1.2 dollars for a 308. So make your own 100 pieces of ammo 118 dollars. Vs cleavers factory 100 factory loads 145 dollars. I’m not sitting at a reloading bench anymore to save 37 dollars … if there has not already been so , I anticipate a significant move towards the purchase of 308 and 223 Ppu is 18 bucks for 20 rounds. My next pta will be for a 223 I have not owned one since my mini 14 … I admit it’s great to see primers agsin. Pretty sure they are the Indian primers. I definitely want to continue reloading for 450bm and 4570. The factory ammo prices are uncomfortable

Yeah, I’ve thought to myself is reloading worth it . When some of my rifles consistently shoot iddy biddy groups it gives me an edge in comps and confidence in the field. However I’m tossing around the idea of getting a 243 as a general paddock hack and buying factory ammo because I can’t be bothered reloading. The outback ammo with a 87 vmax hasn’t been an available anywhere that I’ve seen for a while. That stuff worked well for fellas I know. Rather than spending up on a T3 I was thinking of grabbing a Mauser M18 or a sauer 100 . I know tikka are excellent, but from reviews I’ve read the m18 sounds really good. Especially as cleaver have them for $900
Any opinions on these Tupperware contraptions. I’m aware they’re press fit barrels
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Jan 2024, 7:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:NZ has already had a shipment in October.

Choice bro ! :D I’d be interested to give these new yank primers a go . Fed 210 have always been a good thing for me , but I don’t expect to see any of them soon
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2024, 2:33 pm

Rich I bought a big load of that factory 87 v max ammo when it was a lot cheaper. From cleavers. Cleavers are also well known for selling bulk loads of 87 v max pills resl Chesp .. another good fac ammo for the 243 is ppu soft points extremely accurate and hits hard. I got a swag of it when it was 22 dollars for a box of 20 … you won’t be disappointed with a saur in 243. A cleavers salesmen recommended it to me before I had even heard of sauer. 5 shot Moa guarantee Very good practical user friendly 3 position safety. Adj nice trigger. Nice factory stock. Reliable flush fitting mag Well finished. Feels nice Chesp to buy. Every shot in the field u csn take with confidence .. Mauser 18 will probably be same. From memory they are related somehow , sme factory maybe. I can’t remember
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 29 Jan 2024, 8:42 pm

Clearly primers are not on there way, locally here at least 2 of the LGS have small pistol and one small rifle primers.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunderson » 29 Jan 2024, 8:45 pm

my local hasnt had primers for around 14 months, I had to goto the city and even then they cost an arm and a leg for the usual cci and federal ones I use so I bought all of their Sellior Bellot stock in one foul swoop, otherwise was literally 3 times the price!!
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jan 2024, 6:16 am

gunderson wrote:my local hasnt had primers for around 14 months, I had to goto the city and even then they cost an arm and a leg for the usual cci and federal ones I use so I bought all of their Sellior Bellot stock in one foul swoop, otherwise was literally 3 times the price!!

So, any idea when the S&B primers were imported?
Where was this?
Cost?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 30 Jan 2024, 7:37 am

Blr243 wrote:Primers I saw in stock recently locally at 28 cents each. Add powder 40 cents and bullet 50 cents Roughly 1.2 dollars for a 308. So make your own 100 pieces of ammo 118 dollars. Vs cleavers factory 100 factory loads 145 dollars. I’m not sitting at a reloading bench anymore to save 37 dollars … if there has not already been so , I anticipate a significant move towards the purchase of 308 and 223 Ppu is 18 bucks for 20 rounds. My next pta will be for a 223 I have not owned one since my mini 14 … I admit it’s great to see primers agsin. Pretty sure they are the Indian primers. I definitely want to continue reloading for 450bm and 4570. The factory ammo prices are uncomfortable

IF I was able to buy the sorts of .223 or .308 ammo that I find works best for me, I'll happily pay the extra for the factory ammo.
In the case of .223, I have a couple of roo-shooter mates who buy the once-fired .223 brass from me(de-primed and tumbled clean).
[Already have a few thousand .223 cases that are mostly not more than 2-3 firings, so selling the excess isnt hurting..]
The cans of ADI ammo are something of a no-brainer for me; quality ammo, we get another lockable steel box, and if I dont like the projectiles, I can pull them and load them up with my preference, without needing any primers. And decent brass to boot.

5-6 years back, I was buying maybe 3/4 of the ammo we were using through the year; mostly either .223 or .308.
At that point, it was often cheaper for me to buy decent factory ammo, than to poll my own.
Now that we only have one ammunition retailer left in our local town(and a VERY limited range available), I'd guess that for the next few years at least, 90% of the ammo fired here will be home-made.

I cannot easily buy factory rounds that I prefer in either .308, 7mm-08, .243, or .223:-
Factory 125gn ST ammo for the .308(a projectile I use quite a lot) are a lot slower than I load, and look to be available from a gunshop about 1500kms distant..
Factory 7mm-08 ammo in 120gn SST are a lot slower than I load, look to be available from a gunshop about 1500kms distant..
[I've never found the 7mm-08 factory ammo in most shops to be loads I prefer, so that hasnt really changed much.]
Factory 87gn V-Max .243 rounds look to be available from a gunshop about 1500kms distant..
Factory 69gn .223 rounds look to be available from a gunshop about 1500kms distant.

While I have a range of factory ammo for each caliber on the shelf, I'm reloading because I simply cannot get 'Best-Fit' ammo from a retailer, without a 2-3 day drive.
(and thats assuming they still have my preferred ammo when I get there..)

So, any new reloading supplies coming onto the market, is a positive thing in my book.
I'm lucky enough to have decent stocks of projectiles, powder and primers on hand for maybe 3-4 years of our current ammo usage.
But any visits to a gunshop these days, is to see what they have that I can add to my stockpile.

I look back on the days of visiting my local gunshop, and seeing cans of ADI .223, .243, and .308 ammo, and I'm now regretting I didnt buy 4 of each...
Ahhh well; If wishes were horses, we'd all be knee-deep in 1080 Poison dog-baits..

My 2 cents..
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition